PDA

View Full Version : Bence`s Fault: FK 1000P

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Glossmaster
10-12-2008, 08:49 AM
I`m with Supe on this one........I enjoy the knowledge and experience gained from many around here..........especially Bence. It was he who turned me on to FK products, (Scottwax turned me on to CK & Optimum etc....) and had I known about FK sooner it would have saved me some $5000 in detailing product purchases over the past few years. lol. I`m one of those who buys it, tries it for myself before I can form an opinion on it. With that being said, 1000P, Pink Wax, #425 & FX-100 are staples in my arsenal. I agree with the 1000P being more of a sealant then wax statement. 1000p`s gloss & durability couple with ease of use, made me a true believer. 2 thin layers of 1000p as a base, topped with 2 thin layers of Pink Wax is an insanely wet/glossy look on my black paint. I use my PC to apply both products on speeds ranging from 2 -3. Transferring the product to the pad seems easy to me. All I do is peel the pad of the backing plate & coat the pad just like I would in a hand application, then stick the pad back on the backing plate. No big deal really. Soak the pad in a bucket of dawn & water then clean the pad & rinse it well. works great.

Accumulator
10-12-2008, 09:09 AM
I use FK425 to dampen the pad, and this seems to help get the FK1000P on it.

I try to clean the pad before the FK1000P dries completely, but I seldom worry all *that* much about a bit of LSP residue on my applicators; once I`ve put more LSP on them for the next application I never seem to have any issues from the old/dried-on residue. Not like it causes marring or anything (not that there`s ever a whole lot of it anyhow).

imported_beachwolverine
10-12-2008, 10:33 AM
OK - I`m in and will give it a try.

However, applying with a DA and wiping it off - can certainly not be as easy as UPGP.

Thanks for the info.

imported_Bence
10-12-2008, 12:06 PM
I`m applying the 1000P with an MF app (haven`t tried with a foam app), or with a finishing pad on my DA. I squeeze the pad, stuff into the tin, twist, and slap it on the DA. I apply between speeds 3-6. I work the first layer meticulously into the paint with a little pressure; the subsequent coats go on with no pressure. Removal is always easy, even with heavier coats.

I apply 2-3 coats usually.

When someone talks about "easier", well, yep, as it gives more visual feedback than a WOWA sealant. So you don`t have to trust the product it`s there. 1000P is physically there - for a long time. ;)

superchargedg
10-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Damn you Bence and you to Supe cause now i have to try this........more stuff.I gotta have a yard sale with all the stuff i have since joining this site.

imported_Bence
10-12-2008, 03:35 PM
:D

Oh, I forgot the cleaning! I soak my pads in APC overnight if they are *saturated* with 1000P. But you`ll learn that if you pick up the right amounts into your pad, there will be hardly anything to clean out. (Accumulator will agree) Just don`t massage 1000P into the deeper structure of the pad.

Accumulator
10-12-2008, 04:57 PM
..you`ll learn that if you pick up the right amounts into your pad, there will be hardly anything to clean out. (Accumulator will agree) ...

Yeah, I judge how well I do by seeing how much LSP is still in the applicator when I`ve finished the job. Shouldn`t be much in it at all.

Same ol` same ol` people use a zillion times more product than necessary and then have to work to get all that excess off the paint and out of the pad. Using FK425 on the applicator means you don`t have to rely on a lot of FK1000P to provide lubrication too, so it`s even easier to use the correct/minimal amount. If you`re concerned with adequate coverage, just do multiple light applications (just as quick and easier than one heavy one anyhow).

This is another reason why MF is good for applying FK1000P (heh heh, even with my limited experience with the stuff I`ve figured that out :D ); easier to wash clean than a foam pad.

buja
10-12-2008, 05:39 PM
to those who have used a 4 inch pad , which colour pad did you use ?

and am I right to say it is safe to use it on a medium speed ? say 3 ? that is about the speed I use to spread liquid sealants anyway.

and work it in a fair bit yeah ?

and when you guys refer to the twist and transfer of 1000p onto the pad each time, how much area of the panels do you get out of that one transfer ?

I admit I am a lousy wax applying kind of guy, usually apply too thick if by hand, so machine is probably the way for me. so I want to get this right first.

but I might give the MF applicator method a try too.

last resort is with a yellow foam applicator, though I know I will have a very big possibility of applying too thickly.

dont have 425 at the moment, but i think i will make do with CG`s speed wipe and OID .

will be dampening the foam or mf applicators before "priming" them.

correct me if im wrong, thanks !

KnuckleBuckett
10-12-2008, 06:16 PM
I apply it lightly. Very much so. Still eventually you have to clean the pad.

How long do you wait between coats of 1000P?

cjbigcog
10-12-2008, 07:14 PM
How is FK1000 on silver flake? I really like the results from AJT. Could FK1000 be a replacement?

imported_Bence
10-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Knuckle, you can layer it immediately. Wipe on, wait 15-20 mins, wipe off, wipe on again. However, I usually wait 20-30 minutes between layers.

buja
10-13-2008, 05:24 AM
hmm im curious about the pink wax too....Bence ? :)

im thinking of getting pink wax and use it together with 1000p .

wonder if it would be ok to inter layer both of them alternatively.

would it bond ?

Eisen Hulk
10-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Welcome back, Supe.

I agree...1000P is one of my top three LSP`s.

Now if only you can teach Greg Nichols how to use it. HAHAHAHA.

Just kidding, Greg.

Bigpikle
10-13-2008, 07:11 AM
welcome back Supe :D

I was watching this last year and decided to go for it for winter this time. Did my first detail with it >3 weeks ago and was instantly a HUGE fan...

thin on, 20 mins to cure (in full sun or shade) and the easiest product I have ever tried to wipe off :D 2 layers and it looked amazing.

>3 weeks later and I have only foam washed the car and wheels and it still looks great. Dont see any reduction in dirt pickup but it cleans off really easy. Hope it will alst me through winter with some occasional OCW v2 top-ups after washing.

Thanks Bence - a real winner in my arsenal for sure :2thumbs:

Accumulator
10-13-2008, 11:21 AM
How is FK1000 on silver flake?

I used it on the silver flake wheels on the MPV (very *HEAVY* flake) and it looks great on them. Better than the KSG I`d used on them previously, at least I think so (differences in this sort of stuff are pretty subtle IMO).

Buja- After I twist an applicator against the product in the tin, I then try to scrape as much product *back off* of the applicator as I can. I usually use a plastic razor blade for this. I try to keep just enough product on the applicator to provide some lubrication so the applicator glides smoothly.

When you think your applicator is out of LSP, try wiping it against some chrome or your head/tail lights (surfaces where the LSP is easy to see)...I bet you`ll find that it sill leaves LSP on them.

Oddly enough, I find that I apply waxes thinner by machine and sealants thinner by hand. Not sure which group FK1000P will fall in though :nixweiss