PDA

View Full Version : Stone Chips on Hood

jhorton
10-10-2008, 06:13 AM
I have a 2 year old car that is starting to get different size stone chips on the hood. Just a hand full so far. None have gone through to the metal, only through the clear coat or to the primer.

I just wondered how worried should I be of them. Should I just try and make sure to touch up the bigger ones and not worry to much of the little ones? Should I worry of any of them rusting since they haven`t gone through to metal?

Accumulator
10-10-2008, 10:36 AM
I have a 2 year old car that is starting to get different size stone chips on the hood. Just a hand full so far. None have gone through to the metal, only through the clear coat or to the primer.

I just wondered how worried should I be of them. Should I just try and make sure to touch up the bigger ones and not worry to much of the little ones? Should I worry of any of them rusting since they haven`t gone through to metal?

Other than the cosmetic issue, IME you don`t need to worry. All of my vehicles have stone chips and even with hard winter use it`s just not an issue..even when they`re all the way down to bare metal and it starts to rust.

Even when they`re all the way to metal it`s not a big deal as long as you don`t neglect it for weeks on end. You can seal them with a rust converter, or even just keep them polished and waxed/sealed. You`d be surprised how well simple measures will keep any rust in check. Yeah, they`ll rust a *little* bit, but it won`t get awful as long as you keep washing/polishing/waxing it.

I had to-the-metal stonechips in the hood of my Jag for over 20 years with no problems at all (my painter finally got sick of seeing them and touched them up :D ). I have a few on the minivan and it gets used all winter-again, no problem.

Yeah yeah..you really oughta get `em fixed right, but it`s just not as *necessary* as you`d expect it to be.

JohnKleven
10-10-2008, 05:56 PM
If the car is 2 years old, it`s probably galvanized and will not rust, unless if it took a nasty hit.

John

Flashtime
10-10-2008, 06:39 PM
If the primer (e-coat) is showing, it will rust in time. Just touch up as you see `em.

Chips can`t be avoided if the car is driven. Maybe in about 5 - 10 years, you might

see fit to paint it. :)