PDA

View Full Version : single stage red (91) mr2. re-oxidized/faded

sonicboom141
10-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Hello.

I have a 1991 Toyota mr2 (single stage paint) in crimson red. I recently had my friend detail my car for me as it was very faded/oxidized to a white color. It also look like the paint was just dripping off the car from water marks/standing water. Very nasty paint!

Anyways we first washed the car and then he used buff light 2 from malco then nano polish from malco and then a yellow carnuba wax from malco and then a top coat of nxt wax.

This lasted about a month and now the oxidation is coming back with less shine, and a flat red looking color. I was going to have him give the detail another try, and we wanted to try some different products or procedures this time.

From my searches, I am getting various anwsers on what exactly we should use for my car. I want something that will last more than 1 month!

I have seen..

Meg. #7, followed by Meg. #26

Meg #80, followed by Meg. #81

I am not sure on what to use. I really want a good lasting job, should we look for some sort of sealant or what better top coat of wax should we use?

Thanks for the help.

Lumadar
10-10-2008, 12:26 AM
I would try #80, and for good measure follow with #7. Then go ahead and try the #26.

Ignition
10-10-2008, 01:03 AM
A very light polish isn`t probably going to do it if it was really bad.

On the other hand you need to be careful with the paint thickness.

You could need a combo of 83 and then 80. Do a test area first with 80, wash it and don`t wax it.

If the oxidation comes back in few days you may need to step up.

Also what do you use to wash it with?

danponjican
10-10-2008, 06:02 AM
I had a crimson red 91 MR2 back in the day as well. I used to have to use a pure polish on it 3 - 4 times a year to keep the oxidation at bay. It was a tough paint to deal with. The pure polish knocked the paint back to gloss but the waxes I was using 10 years ago were not nearly as good as the ones I am using today. I think your trick is find a better LSP. I would use a combo like Danase Wet Glaze followed by a nice sealant and then a good coat of a nice nuba. That would probably get you more time between polishes. Especially if you kept up on the coat of nuba every 4 - 6 weeks.

jfelbab
10-10-2008, 07:33 AM
As an owner of a red 91 MR2, I can tell you that "Crimson Red" is notorious for it`s fading. Surprised it lasted as long as it did. I was maintaining my paint with #80 followed by a couple coats of LSP. The interval between details got shorter and shorter. Your paint is dying. To prolong it`s life, try applying a sealant more frequently, use a car cover and garage the vehicle.

As it turns out the MR2 was a very well built car and still looks reasonably good today. It has a body style that doesn`t seem to show it`s age and has handling/performance that is still on a par with, and often better than, many new vehicles. If the mechanicals are good on your MR2, why not plan on a repaint?

Here is my MR2. I`m admittedly biased but it doesn`t look like an 18 year old in my eyes. I swapped out the tail lights from a 94+ but the rest is stock.

http://gallery.mac.com/jfelbab/100083/GR8MR2/web.jpg

See my gallery for more images.

mr.ikon
10-10-2008, 12:42 PM
I would seriously consider getting it repainted. I own an MR2 as well, crimson red and its a `91. The car has been repainted by the previous owner but its kept very clean.

sonicboom141
10-10-2008, 02:17 PM
The car will be painted next winter(money probs). My car is far from stock so I always planned on painting everything. I store it in the winter, and garage it most days when I drive it. I just want the paint to shine for another year.

Thanks for all the info, so what kind of sealant and nuba wax should I look for brand/product? I was going to order everything off autogeek tonight or tomorrow. I am not sure what would work well for my application (porterfield 7424). I think ill get some sort of wet glaze, sealant, and nuba wax?

Joel_MD
10-10-2008, 02:31 PM
I`ve never dealt with "Mister Two" paint before. It sounds challenging. What about layering a durable sealant like JetSeal 109 or DuraGloss 105, topped with Collinite 845 or 476?

By the way, that pic of Jim`s MR2 is awesome! It does have a timeless look to it.

longdx
10-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Jim`s MR2 is beautiful. I always loved that body style. Reminds me of a baby Ferrari, but not in a derivative way. Just nice lines and an ageless style.

stiffdogg06
10-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Oxidation needs cleaned. Not polished out. But of course, it could polish out. I suggest a descent paint cleanser and see if that helps with the oxidation first...

Cleaning Fool
10-10-2008, 07:21 PM
As an owner of a red 91 MR2, I can tell you that "Crimson Red" is notorious for it`s fading. Surprised it lasted as long as it did. I was maintaining my paint with #80 followed by a couple coats of LSP. The interval between details got shorter and shorter. Your paint is dying. To prolong it`s life, try applying a sealant more frequently, use a car cover and garage the vehicle.

As it turns out the MR2 was a very well built car and still looks reasonably good today. It has a body style that doesn`t seem to show it`s age and has handling/performance that is still on a par with, and often better than, many new vehicles. If the mechanicals are good on your MR2, why not plan on a repaint?

Here is my MR2. I`m admittedly biased but it doesn`t look like an 18 year old in my eyes. I swapped out the tail lights from a 94+ but the rest is stock.

http://gallery.mac.com/jfelbab/100083/GR8MR2/web.jpg

See my gallery for more images.

The car looks great. The paint looks gorgeous