PDA

View Full Version : PC 7424 VS UDM VS Flex 3401

Hyru
10-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Hey all,

Got a question for all...

Before I start, it should be stated that I do have a Makita rotary... This is mainly because my father owned a car dealership and weve had it... although I have never personally used it, or any other machine to polish my car... Always been by hand.

Now, Im in the market for a machine and have been doing some research on them. Keeping in mind that I do have a rotary on hand just in case (even with no experience)... should I go with the PC, UDM or Flex?

Heres what Ive heard so far, so feel free to add your .02

PC 7424:

- "Toy" like

- Speed possibly too low to do any real paint correction

UDM

- Heard its better than the PC due to its speed increase

- Have also heard from people that it was a terrible quality machine

Flex

- Expensive

- Can obtain very good results

- Somewhere between a PC and a rotary.

This is for my own vehicle only, as I do not make an income off detailing. Im looking for minor to average paint correction (swirls and scratches) but also something that`ll help me apply waxes easily and make that car shine :clap:

So, given that I do have a Makita rotary available (although Ive never used it) for harder jobs... which do you guys suggest I go with?

:thx

Edit: Last poll option should say:

Dont bother buying any. Stick with the Makita and a low speed for now

milani
10-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Go with the PC. It`s a great tool, and you can get it cheap. Check online at Coastal Tool - Discount Power Tools, Discount Power Tool Store (http://www.coastaltool.com/) Get the detailing kit with the backing plate and counterweight. Porter-Cable 7424 Polisher (http://www.coastaltool.com/a/port/7424-polisher.htm)

imported_Luigi
10-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I`ve only ever used the PC, but I`m in your situation where I am just doing my own car and possibly my parents/brother/friends vehicles. The PC does a pretty good job, I am planning on buying some smaller pads as I hear the 4 inch are better than the 5.5 just because its using the same power for a smaller surface area.