PDA

View Full Version : Which product to use for external rubber?

Pages : [1] 2

BMW^Z4
10-05-2008, 09:10 PM
External window rubber started getting grey on my X3 and it does not look good. Which product do you reccomend me to make it black again and protect it. I used AG but does not last long... :thx

Xtreme-Klean
10-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Black Wow - Works wonders if you apply it according to instructions

Mothers Back to Black - retail product and good value

M26
10-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Don`t buy Mothers - Back to Black. I used it and Easily washes off.

Not worth spending any money on this product.

Go with Black wow. Much better.

Black WOW (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/black-wow.htm)

Good Luck!

stiffdogg06
10-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Black Wow - Works wonders if you apply it according to instructions

Mothers Back to Black - retail product and good value

Horrible product. Do not waste your money on it.

Either Black Wow or Bumper and Molding Renew from Top of the Line Auto Detailing Supplies (http://www.topoftheline.com)

Make sure you clean your trim very well before applying a dressing like above. I suggest Top of the Line Auto Detailing Supplies (http://www.topoftheline.com) GR-40 to clean the trim.

Accumulator
10-06-2008, 11:32 AM
I`ve had good results with the Gummi-pfledge products from Wurth (first choice) and 1Z (second choice). I also like Wurth`s Rubber Care aerosol, but I spray it on an applicator and use that to apply.

None of the above ever run in the rain as long as I let them dry and buff off any excess.

TheJeepGuy
10-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Does Black Wow have a dye in it, or is it a neutral, clear product? I`m tossing around different ideas for a long-lasting treatment for my grey textured bumper covers and side cladding on my Jeep.

Last time I washed it, I went over Jeep once dry with Duragloss Aquawax. I like the added slickness it gives. I went over the bumpers and cladding with it as well, and I was surprised that it dried to a little shine on these parts. Looked really good! It`s since rained, and it streaked a little bit, but I`ll go over it again and see if they come out.

What about some of these "waxes" that say they`re safe to use on plastic and rubber trim? As much as I loathe the idea, I wondered if Turtle Wax Ice would work? Would it last without streaking?

milani
10-06-2008, 03:54 PM
I use Griot`s Garage Rubber cleaner to clean/prep the rubber. Then I use an MF lightly misted with Vinylex. Rub it on, and give it a quick buff. Looks great.

voiddweller
10-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Good thread. I love this site.

dublifecrisis
10-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Will IPA do any good on rubber prep? Often times, especially on an older car, the rubber has some moldy looking spots/circles on it. Trim dressing helps make it nice and shiny, but does little for cleaning up the blotches.

BMW^Z4
10-06-2008, 09:16 PM
What about Einszett Gummi Pflege - Rubber Care Stick 100ml?

Lumadar
10-06-2008, 09:35 PM
I just used a foam detailing stick and some 4:1 Hyper Dressing on ALL of the rubber seals on my Focus. In a few spots there were some dry, white-ish patches. the Hyper Dressing did not soak in right away, and instead beaded up on the surface. I let it sit for a minute or so, and just kept going over it with the foam stick.

It eventually soaked all the way in, and made the rubber look BETTER than new with a semi-glossy DARK black look. I am curious to see how it holds up to water and time- and I will post back here if I remember to :)

Accumulator
10-07-2008, 11:01 AM
What about Einszett Gummi Pflege - Rubber Care Stick 100ml?

-SEE:

I`ve had good results with the Gummi-pfledge products from Wurth (first choice) and 1Z (second choice). I also like Wurth`s Rubber Care aerosol, but I spray it on an applicator and use that to apply.

Will IPA do any good on rubber prep? Often times, especially on an older car, the rubber has some moldy looking spots/circles on it. Trim dressing helps make it nice and shiny, but does little for cleaning up the blotches.

I`d rather use a dedicated rubber cleaner/restorer. I`d worry that the IPA might dry the rubber out. Not that it`s likely to kill it the first time you try it or anything like that, but still...

What about some of these "waxes" that say they`re safe to use on plastic and rubber trim?

Dunno about the Turtle Wax, but I`ve used a number of waxes on rubber with no problems. In fact, I`ve used (first Malm`s liquid then) Souveran on my Jag`s exterior rubber since the late `80s and it`s still like new. I used Collinite 845 on the rubber of the Volvo 240 wagon I used to have and it worked great, even used 476S on it a few times! Note that when it needs redone it`ll sometimes look really bad, but cleaning it up and reapplying fixes that.

KnuckleBuckett
10-07-2008, 01:30 PM
My Lexus LS430 had white moldy stuff all around the window seals. Simply cleaning and or treating it had little or no lasting effect. I ended up hitting it with SIP on an orange pad where my Flex could hit, and hand polishing the rest. Afterwords I cleaned it with IPA and layered Ultima Interior Trim x 4 letting each coat soak in and dry for at least a half hour. Still looks like new months later.

Never figured out what the white stuff was, or was caused by.

REVNU
10-07-2008, 05:35 PM
I use Aerospace 303 Protectant on all internal/external Rubber/Plastic trim. Works great!

BMW^Z4
10-07-2008, 09:11 PM
wax on rubber ? never hear about this ....