PDA

View Full Version : Normal for grout sponge to squeak?

daneel
10-04-2008, 04:00 PM
After spending a bunch of time studying the numerous grout sponge threads, I decided to take the leap. The pros and cons were as people reported. Rinses cleaner that sheepskin, easy to get into various nooks and crannies, etc. However, I noticed that on some panels, the sponge would make loud squeaking noises, which REALLY freaked me out. I was usin very little pressure and always made sure the sponge was wet. It seemed to happen only on surfaces with sharp edges, so I`m thinking that its just the edge brushing against the foam, however there were smaller squeaking sounds on the roof and hood as well.

Is that normal? It`s rainy here today and my garage does not have a bright enough light to check for marring, so until the sun comes out, I am unable to check for scratches :(

Bert
10-04-2008, 06:28 PM
If you are experiencing squeaking, that would make me think your was or sealant needs to be reapplied.

daneel
10-04-2008, 06:41 PM
If you are experiencing squeaking, that would make me think your was or sealant needs to be reapplied.

Huh, you think so? I zainoed it just a month ago and it still beads quite nicely. I`ll put on another coat next weekend just in case.

BigAl3
10-04-2008, 07:54 PM
i always squeeze/agitate the (Lowes) GS each time i dip into the bucket and it brings a good amount of suds (also the GS get softer IME). try squeezing the GS in the bucket a few times, and then slowly let it out and it will absorb the wash solution. then you can go to each panel and slowly let out and it will help lubricate as you wash...

daneel
10-04-2008, 08:31 PM
i always squeeze/agitate the (Lowes) GS each time i dip into the bucket and it brings a good amount of suds (also the GS get softer IME). try squeezing the GS in the bucket a few times, and then slowly let it out and it will absorb the wash solution. then you can go to each panel and slowly let out and it will help lubricate as you wash...

Uh oh, so I guess I was not using enough lubrication. That`s a scary thought. I checked part of the car out in the light, (still no sun) but didn`t see anything. Man, this is going to suck if I marred the paint.

BigAl3
10-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Uh oh, so I guess I was not using enough lubrication. That`s a scary thought. I checked part of the car out in the light, (still no sun) but didn`t see anything. Man, this is going to suck if I marred the paint.

i`m not like many who just quickly dip into the bucket and start washing. i squeeze/agitate the GS in the bucket, rub against the GG every pass, and make sure there is enough lubrication/soapy water/suds on the GS, and you`ll find it just glides right over each panel. the more you use it, you`ll find a technique that works well for you...

daneel
10-04-2008, 08:52 PM
i`m not like many who just quickly dip into the bucket and start washing. i squeeze/agitate the GS in the bucket, rub against the GG every pass, and make sure there is enough lubrication/soapy water/suds on the GS, and you`ll find it just glides right over each panel. the more you use it, you`ll find a technique that works well for you...

Yep, I made sure to use the GG on both sides of the GS, every pass, and would squeeze the GS in the rinse bucket several times before dipping back into the wash bucket. I guess I let the GS lose too much ONR solution before resoaking. Hopefully, when the sun comes out, I`ll be able to see if I`m OK. :scared:

BigAl3
10-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Yep, I made sure to use the GG on both sides of the GS, every pass, and would squeeze the GS in the rinse bucket several times before dipping back into the wash bucket. I guess I let the GS lose too much ONR solution before resoaking. Hopefully, when the sun comes out, I`ll be able to see if I`m OK. :scared:

my bad, i thought you were doing a traditional wash. try filling up a spray bottle with ONR and spray each panel as you wash...

daneel
10-04-2008, 09:47 PM
my bad, i thought you were doing a traditional wash. try filling up a spray bottle with ONR and spray each panel as you wash...

I do that too :) Perhaps the amount of squeaking I heard was normal and harmless and you guys have tuned it out after using the GS with no marring.

BigAl3
10-04-2008, 10:38 PM
I do that too :) Perhaps the amount of squeaking I heard was normal and harmless and you guys have tuned it out after using the GS with no marring.

i haven`t used a GS with ONR (many on here do it with no problems, one member i can think of at the moment would be Macruz19), and using a spray bottle with ONR in conjunction with the bucket certainly wouldn`t hurt... :)