PDA

View Full Version : Polish and Waxing Comment

shadow85
10-03-2008, 05:19 PM
I polish and waxed my car today but had a bad feeling that I was doing it wrong.

Polish - Klasse AIO

I applied it with a microfiber applicator and as soon as I covered the panel, I start to wipe it off with a polishing cloth.

Wax - Collinite 476s

I applied with a foam applicator and when I am done, I wait about 1 minute. Then I used a buffing cloth to wipe it off.

So my question is, am I taking the product off too fast? Will this defeat the purpose of polish/waxing?

Tomorrow I am planning to put on some Opti-Seal but I am sure there will be a layer of dust by then. Is QDing enought to ready it for the Opti-Seal? I hate to have to wash it again.

PS: In both cases I sprayed very lightly a mist of water on the applicator. Instructions say damp. So that why I did that. Got the wax going from the can to the applicator. Bad?

BigAl3
10-03-2008, 05:40 PM
work the KAIO into the finish (put a little elbow grease to help clean it up) until it`s almost transparent and then buff off. apply 476S in a "thin" coat and then let it dry to a haze (do the swipe test to determine if it`s ready to remove), then buff off. some like to apply to a panel, move onto the next one and then go back and buff off (it`s up to you if you like doing it that way). also, i personally don`t like to QD unless it`s after a wash, but it`s up to you if you think the finish isn`t too bad from dust/dirt, etc., on it to do so...

shadow85
10-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Would this mean durability has been reduced to a week?

BigAl3
10-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Would this mean durability has been reduced to a week?

can`t comment on that, but you can always re-wash and apply another layer...

Accumulator
10-04-2008, 01:06 PM
shadow85- People apply KAIO and 476S in all sorts of ways and IME it doesn`t make much difference (especially with the KAIO).

I do get a *little* better durability if I let 476S set up longer, but it`s nothing worth worrying about.

Sounds like you`re doing fine.

I don`t think I`d put OptiSeal over top of it though.

Cleaning Fool
10-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah, you should be fine. Its all part of the process, you learn thru trial and error.

shadow85
10-04-2008, 08:40 PM
ic. For the AIO, all I did was apply it (didnt really work it in) and wiped it off. I am feeling this might have defeated the purpose of polishing. As for the collinite, I guess I can use Optimum Spray wax to add a layer on it.

Saintlysins
10-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I echo the post saying to go onto another panel then back to the last panel to buff off. On smaller cars I`ll do an entire side, then back to the front and buff off.

As ACCUMULATOR said, it seems to have a little bit more durability that way.

shadow85
10-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Car got to be fully cured now. Looks awesome.

I think AIO is responsible for the nice gloss.

I like how the 476s "silenced" my metallic gray flakes. This may be weird to most people but I like how uniform it looks now.

I used NXT 2.0 before, where the flakes popped. For some reason on gray metallic, it keeps giving me the impression of the paint is "dirty".

Silenced with 476s, makes it look a bit "cleaner" and I personally am enjoying it.

Thanks guys!

Saintlysins
10-05-2008, 09:32 PM
You`re right - :lol - It is weird to me you`d want to mute metalic flake as all I ever want to do is make them pop. To each his own - and glad you shared the product info for either end-result.

Thank you.

Accumulator
10-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Interesting that the 476S muted the metallic in this case. The only time I had that happen was on the DenaliXL`s carbon metallic, and, oddly enough, when I repolished it (better) and reapplied the 476S with something different underneath, no more muted metalflake :nixweiss

Also interesting that you got better metallic pop with the NXT v2.0. When I did my pal`s Jag MKII he had me use that specifically because he believed it did *not* emphasize the metallic (which he wanted to tone down a little for concours purposes). I had suggested the 476S as I felt it might do the muting, but he wanted the NXT...and it did turn out just the way he wanted it (with #80 as the penultimate product, maybe that made all the difference). Oh, and that was my first and only experience with NXT, not like I know from the stuff at all.

qwertydude
10-06-2008, 12:17 PM
When I put 476 over my dark metallic blue colorado it made the metallic pop like I`ve never seen, even better than NXT, though NXT was glossier.

shadow85
10-06-2008, 05:20 PM
interesting. maybe my car`s paint is just weird. Now the only problem is dust control. Only takes 1 day for a daily driver to get it dusty again. What keeps me going about detailing is that I tell myself, at least it will be easier to wash next time.