PDA

View Full Version : Tried a new wax

Pages : [1] 2 3

atticus1398
09-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Just tried the "Mothers Carnuba" wax while I wait for my Nattys to arrive from autogeek. I must say, its not too bad. Goes on easy and comes off easier that NXT tech. Doesnt leave the paint as slick and smooth when you run the back of your hand over it though. Smells good pretty nice too, lol.

Brenton
09-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Just tried the "Mothers Carnuba" wax while I wait for my Nattys to arrive from autogeek. I must say, its not too bad. Goes on easy and comes off easier that NXT tech. Doesnt leave the paint as slick and smooth when you run the back of your hand over it though. Smells good pretty nice too, lol.

If I`m not mistaken, Mother`s Carnauba paste is a typical and good 6-12 week wax, while NXT is a synthetic and has a longer sealant life.
I`m suprised a Carnauba from Mothers isn`t as smooth though.
How is the dusting compared with NXT or others?

Jngrbrdman
09-18-2005, 11:14 AM
6 to 12 weeks is more like NXT durability numbers and not a carnauba. Even the best wax isn`t going to last longer than 6 weeks. It is the nature of carnauba to break down and fall off while synthetics take much longer. Sealant durability is in the 8 to 12 week range while carnaubas are 4 to 6 usually.

Brenton
09-18-2005, 11:25 AM
6 to 12 weeks is more like NXT durability numbers and not a carnauba. Even the best wax isn`t going to last longer than 6 weeks. It is the nature of carnauba to break down and fall off while synthetics take much longer. Sealant durability is in the 8 to 12 week range while carnaubas are 4 to 6 usually.

If you layer Sealant-Wax & Repeat at 6 weeks, how long you got on the Sealant?
And does QD help extend Carnauba, or just add a little shine?
I got some Mothers in a pack and interested in trying some things.

Jngrbrdman
09-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Adding more sealant doesn`t add to the the life of the original sealant. It just starts your 8 to 12 weeks over again. It`s like a gas tank. You are only going to get so many miles out of a full tank of gas no matter how often you fill it before it goes empty. If you will get 6 weeks out of a coat of wax and you put a new layer on 5 weeks into it, then you just get another 6 weeks.

QD doesn`t help extend the life of anything. It usually just adds shine and gets the dust off. The only thing that will aid in the life of a carnauba is keeping it out of the sun and out of the rain. That will squeeze every possible day out of the product. Or you can just wax your car once a month and forget about how long it lasts. I never just wax my car and wait for it to fall off before I wax it again. I usually wax it every 3 or 4 weeks so that it always looks fresh. Durability really means very little to me as long as it will look good for those 3 or 4 weeks between coats.

Miami_Sunset
09-18-2005, 12:45 PM
QD doesn`t help extend the life of anything. It usually just adds shine and gets the dust off. The only thing that will aid in the life of a carnauba is keeping it out of the sun and out of the rain. That will squeeze every possible day out of the product. Or you can just wax your car once a month and forget about how long it lasts. I never just wax my car and wait for it to fall off before I wax it again. I usually wax it every 3 or 4 weeks so that it always looks fresh. Durability really means very little to me as long as it will look good for those 3 or 4 weeks between coats.

very true. QD helps nothing. the best solution is to keep away from sun, rain , and washing the car with cheap soap that rmeoves wax. :book:

ShineProDetails
09-18-2005, 01:12 PM
carnauba waxes melt in hotter climates and do last very long on black.

atticus1398
09-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Ill let you know about the Mothers dust properties after a day or two. But while we`re on that, the NXT seemed like a dust magnet, BUT would literally blow off. What is the best way to remove dust?

Brenton
09-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Ill let you know about the Mothers dust properties after a day or two. But while we`re on that, the NXT seemed like a dust magnet, BUT would literally blow off. What is the best way to remove dust?

That`s where I`m stuck. On the multi-step jobs I can take time to tape off, but a wash and wax leaves residue I don`t have time to clean up (for the price). What`s the solution?

Jngrbrdman
09-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Stop using wax and switch to a sealant. Sealants like 4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection and Wolfgang don`t leave a residue. They don`t contain fillers like carnauba waxes do, so they are much faster to use and last much longer.

lonewolf0420
09-18-2005, 09:22 PM
Adding more sealant doesn`t add to the the life of the original sealant. It just starts your 8 to 12 weeks over again. It`s like a gas tank. You are only going to get so many miles out of a full tank of gas no matter how often you fill it before it goes empty. If you will get 6 weeks out of a coat of wax and you put a new layer on 5 weeks into it, then you just get another 6 weeks.

You took the words out of my mouth. I do a full detail once a month, and a quick detail every week.For wax I use Meg`s #26 carnuaba. Every 2 weeks I like to spay on some Meg`s NXT spray wax it acts best as a "booster". Next weekend I` do for a full detail. My 1st time using a PC. I`m gonna start with SSR2.5, SSR1, and then NXT Tech Wax.

mtodde
09-19-2005, 02:59 PM

This is the best explanation I`ve ever seen!

A QD doesn`t extend the life of the LSP; there are some products like Crystal Mist that are more of a booster than a QD...these willl offer some additional protection, but it is so easy to wax your car why not do it every few weeks.

atticus1398
09-20-2005, 08:26 AM
2 more for you guys:

1) Safest way(other than rewashing) to remove the dust off of the car 1-2 days after waxing?

2) Same question applied to the horrible spots after it rains on that dust, lol.

Jngrbrdman
09-20-2005, 10:25 AM
There is no `safest way` to QD your car. Either deal with the dust or wash the car. I am not a big fan of QDing the entire car in lieu of washing it. Dragging a microfiber around picking up dirt and then continuing to drag it around is just asking for problems. You could always give one of those waterless wash products a shot. I have heard good things about them. I just don`t see how anything is faster than just giving the car a quick wash.

3M has a new product that you might like. It is some kind of Bucketless Wash. The way I use it is I spray down my car with water and then spray this product all over it. It is kind of like thin soap. Then when you hit the car with water again it foams up. I`ve tried it when my car was just dusty and it takes care of dust in short order. It`s more fun that bucket washing and safer (I feel) than QDing the entire car. Just a thought... I need to write up a full review of this product with pictures. It is pretty versitle. I mix it with water for a great clay lube as well.

Antonio Waxer
09-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Waterless washes like Spray and Wipe are great and they are VERY SAFE for removing dust and light road grime. I totally disagree with Mr. Jman above and I hate having water dripping out of every crevise on the Ferrari`s I maintain. It might be easy to wash and dry a Subaru, but cars with lots of little parts and louvers are not! I am also able to quickly add another coat of wax (which I love the look vs. any sealant), without worrying about drips from door jambs, trunk jambs, side mirrors etc. :rolleyes: