PDA

View Full Version : So what`s all this talk about a grout sponge?

Pages : [1] 2

TheJeepGuy
10-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I`ll be dating myself a bit, but back when I was detailing professionally about 15+ years ago, any type of sponge used to wash a car was considered a big no-no, unless it was something you really didn`t care about like an old work truck or something. A lambswool mitt or a super super soft car wash brush was the recommended tools of the trade. I still use both. I have this blue brush that`s so soft it won`t hardly take bugs off paint, but it`s never scratched a bit, and it`s super fast to do the whole vehicle, especially trucks and SUVs since I have it on a ~4` long handle. I keep a lambswool mitt in my carry-along detailing kit just for the portability factor.

So now I sign up on here and I`m seeing some things that I would have never thought of using or even considered based on what I previously knew.

Explain the whole grout sponge to me, and why it`s better than the two aforementioned methods.

Like I mentioned in other threads, I`m a bit of an "oldster" and have been out of the loop for some time, but I`m always interested in new things when it comes to detailing. It might take me some time to adapt to new things (heck, I bought my first microfibre towel less than a year ago!), but once I force myself to change, it`ll happen eventually. I`ve always just stuck to what worked and never really strayed too far off the beaten path. You should have seen the look on my face the first time I heard about using a clay bar!

When I first started detailing professionally, clearcoat paints were just starting to become standard equipment on new cars and trucks, but the majority of my customers` vehicles were still old single stage enamels or lacquers.

Since detailing is now just a hobby rather than an occupation, I`m a little more willing to play around with new tools and techniques.

NCZ13
10-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I like grout sponges because they are pretty soft, and they release dirt into the rinse bucket very easily. They also hold alot of wash solution. They are also extremely cheap.

pektel
10-01-2008, 11:55 AM
I have a grout sponge (from actually cleaning up grout wile laying ceramic tile). Surely you aren`t using the same one, with the abrasive scrubber on the opposite side?

AustinGuy
10-01-2008, 12:12 PM
I use a sea sponge. It`s supposedly the best material to wash with.

Large Natural Sea Sponge (http://www.autogeek.net/natseaspon.html)

NCZ13
10-01-2008, 12:27 PM
I have a grout sponge (from actually cleaning up grout wile laying ceramic tile). Surely you aren`t using the same one, with the abrasive scrubber on the opposite side?

nope. its a yellow GS from home depot

6ces
10-01-2008, 12:51 PM
nope. its a yellow GS from home depot

or the proline grout sponge from lowes which i believe has become more popular.

TheJeepGuy
10-01-2008, 03:06 PM
So the popular consensus is that this is superior to a nice soft lambswool wash mitt?

Legacy
10-01-2008, 03:20 PM
So the popular consensus is that this is superior to a nice soft lambswool wash mitt?It may not be superior, but its much cheaper and does not induce marring, even to black paint.

III
10-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Here`s my story. About 4 or 5 years ago I was on a website called showcargarage. The website itself is no longer, as I believe it got combined with the meguiars forums. Not 100% sure though. Anyhow, I came across a thread by Mike Phillips that said there was a mobile detailer who washed Barry Meguiar`s cars with a grout sponge. This peaked my interest. So much that I actually called the guy and asked some questions. David told me he did a test consisting of washing 5-10 black cars with a grout sponge, and 5-10 black cars with a lambs wool mitt. He concluded the cars that were washed with the mitt had more scratches/swirls.

I wasn`t sold yet, so I actually went and picked up a few at home depot, which is the kind David used. After using the sponge myself I was a convert.

Now, before my sponge days, I was a loyal mitt user. I came to the conclusion that while mitts pull away dirt and hold it very well, they don`t wash out as good as a grout sponge. This is where you get the scratches/swirls, and this is what David was talking about. I also never liked how mitts were so inconsistent. Out of 15 mitts, probably only 4-6 were up to my likings.

Now, is this to say that grout sponges are the best and are for everyone? Probably not. What I do know, is if you like a particular detailing tool, and are satisfied with the results, then stick with what works for you. If that means using a lambs wool mitt, fine. If that means using a grout sponge, fine.

Here`s a link to David`s website. Let me say that I don`t know this guy personally other than when I talked to him 4-5 years ago. I also have no idea if he still details Barry`s vehicles or if he`s still in business. From looking at his website, it looks the same as it did 3-4 years ago.

Innovative Detailing (http://www.innovativedetailing.com/)

milani
10-01-2008, 05:10 PM
I`ve had really good luck with these lately over anything else I have used. I don`t get them through Griots`, but they are the same mitt...

Micro Fiber Wash Mitts or Pads (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+washing/car+cleaning+tools/set+of+two+micro+fiber+wash+pads.do)

Any other mitt or sponge has been reduced to Wheel Detail after using one of these...

blk45
10-01-2008, 06:10 PM
There are a couple of very long threads about grout sponges. Search for them and every thing you would want to know will be there.

BigJimZ28
10-01-2008, 06:12 PM
There are a couple of very long threads about grout sponges. Search for them and every thing you would want to know will be there.

that would be a great start

then since they are only $2 and easy to find

grab one and see if YOU like it

BigAl3
10-01-2008, 06:45 PM
that would be a great start

then since they are only $2 and easy to find

grab one and see if YOU like it

agreed, just like anything else it may not be for everyone. one has to try it out for him or her self...

to the OP, here are some nice things about the Lowes GS (the HD one is nice too)...

- very soft and easily squeezes/manuevers into tight spots

- release dirt and debris very easily

- plenty of holes for the dirt and debris to bury itself

- suds up (the more you squeeze it) a good amount of soap solution and

also helps lubricate (slowly squeeze some soap solution onto each panel)

the surface while you wash

- lasts a good while

- only $2

David Fermani
10-01-2008, 06:56 PM
or the proline grout sponge from lowes which i believe has become more popular.

Are you sure about that?

Saleenman607
10-01-2008, 07:27 PM
FWIW, I don`t like the Proline GS from Lowes. It doesn`t hold enough water for my taste. I hate re-dipping the damn thing every other swipe.