PDA

View Full Version : Starter Kit suggestions

ats1098
09-29-2008, 10:16 PM
I have a 99 black Vette I got new. It`s garage kept with only 16K miles and never driven in the rain only nice days with the top down. I always thought of myself as a decent detailer until I started reading about the knowledge and experience all over this site and realized I`ve been missing the boat.

For years I have been using Zymol natural car wash and opprox twice a year the Zymol cleaner wax by hand. I have water spots on horizontal surface, micro scratches and minor swirling.

I see now that terry cloth towels for washing and waxing is bad. To dry I have used a synthetic chamois "the Absorber" a rubbery type feel that does not streak.

I`m overwhelmed with all the great info and would like recommendations, a cheat sheet if you will of brand / model#.

It sounds like I should get the following:

-Porter Cable 7424

- 4" foam pads: what model?

- water spot remover?

- Swirl remover?

- micro fiber towels: which variety?

- finishing glaze or polish? Are they the same thing?

Any additions or changes?

Thanks

Steve

chinton
09-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi Steve,

I am new here but have been lurking for quite sometime. From what I have been coming across in my researching regarding products for my 2000 Trans Am is that Corvettes have one of the hardest clear coats out there.

When I get enough funds I plan on picking up the Menzerna Ceramic ClearCoat kit from Autogeek as most people are recommending SIP and 106FF(A) to correct the clear on harder paints. Also, in my mind at least, the SIP will remove the waterspots on the paint along with the swirls.

try searching for `corvette` and read the threads that come up. It has been a hot topic of discussion from what I have seen.

ats1098
10-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks Chinton. Just ordered some Menzerna products from Autogeek and they confirmed the hard clearcoat.

HBR
10-01-2008, 03:27 PM
I would look at the Flex 3401 instead of the Porter Cable. I have a PC I`ll sell ya. :D

Garry Dean
10-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Menzerna polishes are quite expensive, but most of the pros on here use them. I personally use Four Star Products OEM line on my clients` cars. I would also recommend a Flex if you were going to make a purchase like that. It is like a DA and a rotary in one machine. I don`t think you will see positive results on that Vette with any polish, Menzerna or otherwise, with a Porter Cable. If you have never used a machine before please be careful! I would recommend trying to find a fello Autopian in your area that would be interested in comming by and showing you a few things. Where are you located? Good luck!

ats1098
10-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I`m in the North Dallas area. I agree there is nothing like seeing it done before doing it yourself. I know of no one in my area.

ats1098
10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
HBR I keep reading that a PC will do most of everthing and it`s so easy to get in to trouble with the high speed units. Maybe I just got scared and need to get a little experience and step up to a flex. I`ve always done everything by hand.

jdrop01
10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Get the flex! I have a 98 vette black and my pc takes sooooooo long to do any corrections. I am buying either a rotary or flex I am still undecided.

agthing1227
10-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Hey Steve,

Here are a bunch of packages put together. Anything from starter packages to advance packages, microfiber packages to complete packages. It has it all.

DI Packages - Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Packages-C62/)

I personally bought the Advance complete detailing kit and it works great! However I also made some purchases of some other products since I like them better but over all the products look great for what you need. I believe you also get a discount for belonging to this site. The owners are great and will answer any questions you may have!