PDA

View Full Version : Quick Detailer Question?

Pages : [1] 2

MB_Forever
09-28-2008, 08:17 PM
I take my car to get professionally detailed once every 2 weeks, but because of the area I live in, sometimes between those two weeks, I`ll hit lots of bugs and/or dirt spots while driving at night. Sometimes these spots are very few while other times, they`re all over my front bumper. I am looking for a quick (but strong) cleaning product to safely remove these spots in between my 2 week detailing sessions. I`ve looked at Meguiar`s Ultimate Quick Detailer, but it seems that most of the information available imply that it is more for a quick shine than a strong cleanser. Some people suggested I use Meguiar`s Last Touch cleaning spray, which seems much more fit for my application. I just want to get more opinions, so here are my questions:

1) Is the Ultimate Quick Detailer the right product for the situation described above or is it mainly for a quick shine?

2) If not, what is the BEST product(s) out there for the above application? Something with good lubricating and "cleansing" agents? I`ve heard many good things about Poor Boy`s quick detailer as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Setec Astronomy
09-28-2008, 08:41 PM
UQD is not generally considered to be a great cleaner, as far as I know (I have a bottle of it but have only used it a couple of times and that was after a wash). I personally dislike the smell of Last Touch, and would recommend something like Clearkote Quick Shine, or the Poorboy`s Spray and Wipe would also be excellent with a nice smell although a little pricier than the Quick Shine. You could also use Optimum No Rinse mixed to QD strength, that`s probably the most economical of the bunch.

Hakko
09-28-2008, 08:58 PM
I haven`t used PB QD, but I recently switched from Meg`s QD (not the UQD) to CG Speed Wipe. I dilute it 3:1 and absolutely love it for removal of bugs, light dirt, bird bombs, etc. Smells nice too.

MB_Forever
09-29-2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it. So out of all these products, which one is BEST? Price is not as much of a concern to me as the "cleaning" abilities and overall quality of the product, as I`ll only be using it on a car that is very important to me.

Please keep the suggestions coming.....

Thanks in advance,

jimmybuffit
09-29-2008, 04:43 AM
Consider using a cleaner wax. We like Meg`s #21 2.0.

wascallyrabbit
09-29-2008, 05:39 AM
i`ve found onr diluted to qd strength works pretty good.

Hakko
09-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it. So out of all these products, which one is BEST? Price is not as much of a concern to me as the "cleaning" abilities and overall quality of the product, as I`ll only be using it on a car that is very important to me.

Please keep the suggestions coming.....

Thanks in advance,

I`m not a pro like many on this board, but I think the question, "which QD is best?" is like asking, "which wine is best?" It`s going to vary depending on your car, the uses you put the QD to, your budget, and your personal taste. For instance, there`s no doubt but that one of the reasons I like CG Speed Wipe is the smell - like strawberry. Smell is a very individual matter.

One thing I would say: if you use a lot of QD, it`s worth it to buy something that comes in gallons and is dilutable. It`s not so much for cost - at least in your case - as convenience. Unless you buy, say, UQD by the case, you`ll have to drive down to Autozone whenever you run low - and then you have to store 12 bottle of UQD. If you have a gallon of Speed Wipe, or ONR, or whatever, you can just cook up another batch in your spray bottle in 2 minutes.

There`s also the issue of flexibility. ONR, for instance, has multiple uses depending on the dilution ratio - you can even wash your car with it if your professional detailer heads down to Cancun for a couple of weeks with all the money he`s made off of you. :grinno:

imported_pdsterns
09-29-2008, 08:59 AM
I vote for ONR, keep a mixed bucket, ounce per gallon in the garage and just wash off the nose as necessary and then dry with MF. No swirling or marks to worry about, I think one of the real advantages (and there are many) is that you can selectively wash sections of your car, ie clean car mud splash on right side and in 5 minutes you have taken care of it the best way possible.

wmphipps
09-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Here is what I do to keep my Crossfire looking perfect between major details. I keep a 5 gal bucket filled with plain city water mixed with a small amount of Duragloss car wash liquid (any good car wash liquid should work) in my garage. I wet a clean medium sized cotton terry towel and wring it out some. I go over entire car working from the the top down rubbing no harder than necessary, rewetting and wringing out maybe once or twice. After wet wiping about one quarter of car, I dry with a large clean cotton terry towel. I let buggy areas soak a bit before towelling off. I use straight line motions instead of cicular motions. This has worked well with no marring of the finish after 6 months of this procedure about 3 times per week. It takes me 10 to 15 minutes and my Crossfire looks perfect all week. It takes care of the bugs also which can etch your paint if not removed. I do my wheels, rockers and exhuast tips last. If I want a super good job I follow with a Zaino Z6 pass ocasionally. I started with a full detail with 6 coats of Zaino z2 pro as LSP applied this spring. I always use clean towels. I will do a complete ground up detail this fall when I put the Crossfire away for winter.

steelwind101
09-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Over the counter you have a couple of chances.

1) Meguiars Quik Detailer, its in a red bottle and has little glossing abilities. It lubes nicely and cleans effectivly.

2) Mothers Showtime, a good cleaner and leaves the car looking good too. Its very much like a slightly less good looking version of QuickShine which is very popular on here. Showtime will enhance any product underneath it, but it wont bring its own effects to the party.

Poorboys spray n wipe is good a cleaner, follow with QD+ for best results!

Geoff

Accumulator
09-29-2008, 02:26 PM
When cleaning is the goal, my favorite QD is FK146.

imported_pdsterns
09-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Here is what I do to keep my Crossfire looking perfect between major details. I keep a 5 gal bucket filled with plain city water mixed with a small amount of Duragloss car wash liquid (any good car wash liquid should work) in my garage. I wet a clean medium sized cotton terry towel and wring it out some. I go over entire car working from the the top down rubbing no harder than necessary, rewetting and wringing out maybe once or twice. After wet wiping about one quarter of car, I dry with a large clean cotton terry towel. I let buggy areas soak a bit before towelling off. I use straight line motions instead of cicular motions. This has worked well with no marring of the finish after 6 months of this procedure about 3 times per week. It takes me 10 to 15 minutes and my Crossfire looks perfect all week. It takes care of the bugs also which can etch your paint if not removed. I do my wheels, rockers and exhuast tips last. If I want a super good job I follow with a Zaino Z6 pass ocasionally. I started with a full detail with 6 coats of Zaino z2 pro as LSP applied this spring. I always use clean towels. I will do a complete ground up detail this fall when I put the Crossfire away for winter.

I wouldn`t mind all this if it were ONR in the bucket but you are doing a complete wash, the OP just wanted to clean up some bugs the easy way and not really wash the whole car.

imported_pdsterns
09-29-2008, 03:59 PM

I wouldn`t mind all this if it were ONR in the bucket but you are doing a complete wash, the OP just wanted to clean up some bugs the easy way and not really wash the whole car.

6ces
09-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Over the counter you have a couple of chances.

1) Meguiars Quik Detailer, its in a red bottle and has little glossing abilities. It lubes nicely and cleans effectivly.

2) Mothers Showtime, a good cleaner and leaves the car looking good too. Its very much like a slightly less good looking version of QuickShine which is very popular on here. Showtime will enhance any product underneath it, but it wont bring its own effects to the party.

Poorboys spray n wipe is good a cleaner, follow with QD+ for best results!

Geoff

I also like the Megs quick detailer. The first QD i bought was the UQD, but when i get the regular quick detailer with the megs clay bar kit, i liked it a lot better and it must clean well if you can use it with clay.

MB_Forever
09-29-2008, 06:17 PM

+1

I`m looking for the safest way to clean off the bugs that have been splattered all over my bumper at 50 mph. The acid from their guts seem to dry off quickly (just by the time I reach home), and seem to stick good to the paint. I don`t really care how shiny the spray makes the car look because the car goes to the detailer for that anyways. In summary, I am more interested in a spray that disolves these contaminents safely; so it doesn`t have to even have wax or any polymers at all :nixweiss:

I`ve found these 3 products, but I`m having trouble picking between them. Can you please help me....

1) Poorboy`s World Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash

The spray & wipe seem to be a general purpose cleaner that is effective and safe to use anytime.

2) Poorboy`s World Bug Squash

This one seem to be actually designed for the purpose I want, but I`m not sure if it`ll be too harsh :nixweiss:

3) Menzerna`s Top Inspection

Supposed to be a very good cleaner.

Okay, so now we`ve narrowed it down a bit, what do you guys think? Any help is greatly appreciated :)