PDA

View Full Version : I bought a lot of detailing equipment for the Audi R8 and S5 I drive... please help!

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Jimmyz
09-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Since the R8 just came in, and my S5 will hit the dealership tomorrow after a 9 months wait, I went crazy and bought a ton of detailing/washing supplies. So, what I am asking is:

What should I use for a simple wash?

What should I use for a detail/wax?

What should I use for a full detail/wax (more steps, like using clay)?

And finally, what should I use for a detail/wax touchup?

Also, is there anything I bought that I should not use?

Thanks... here are the things I bought yesterday, and I also attached a pic of my true love, the R8., lol.

Sonus Professional Bucket

Mr. Clean Starter Kit (I decided to try it, as it uses a water filter so no towels needed)

Mr. Clean AutoDry Refill Filter (10-Use)

Bon-Aire Original Ultimate Hose Nozzle

Meguiar`s X2000 Water Magnet Drying Towel

Meguiar`s X2020 Supreme Shine Microfiber - Pack of 3

Meguiar`s X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt

Absorber 51149 The Absorber Chamois 27" x 17"

P21S Drying Towel

Der Wunder Towel Trio

Ultima Autospa Microfiber Applicator

Zymol Sponge

Australia Deluxe Wool Wash Mitt With Thumb

The Original California Jelly Blade

The Original California Home and Auto Detailing Kit

16 Oz. Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash

Zymol 203 Clear Auto Bathe 8.5 Oz

Zymol Z505 Natural Concentrated Auto Wash, 16 ounces

P21S Bodywork shampoo

Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

P21S Concours Carnauba Wax

Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax 16oz.

Ultima Paint Guard Plus (Why is this stuff so expensive?)

Reje-X

P21S Paintwork Cleanser

Black Magic Express Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner

P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner 16.9 oz

Sonus Perfect Paint Finish Clay & Polish Kit

Thanks guys... I tried to catagorized the products (first is equipment, then towels and sahing/drying equipment, then waterless washes, then shampoo, the paste and spray wax, then paintwork equipment, then wheel and tire cleaners, and finally, clay.

Regards,

Jimmyz

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1481937d.jpg

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1481937c.jpg

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1481937b.jpg

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1481937a.jpg

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1481937h.jpg

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1481937g.jpg

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1481937f.jpg

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1481937e.jpg

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1481937i.jpg

Accumulator
09-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Welcome to Autopia! Cool cars, and nice color choices.

I`m a long-time Audi nut (current Audis are `00 A8 and `01 S8 that I`ve pampered since new).

I`ll give some starting points for your Qs, but (and *please* don`t take this the wrong way), I might not cover things the way you`d like as your Qs could be compared to "I bought some land and some lumber, how do I build a house?". So with that caveat....

So, what I am asking is:

What should I use for a simple wash?

Heh heh, "simple wash".... Washing without marring the paint is *VERY* difficult. I use a foamgun to spray lubricating shampoo mix at the point where my wash media contact the paint. Move any wash medium in short, interrupted "jiggling" motions instead of long swipes (so that any marring is short as opposed to long scratches). Never *scrub*, never apply much pressure.

What should I use for a detail/wax?

Some kind of paint cleaner followed by a LSP (Last Step Product, i.e., wax or sealant). Lots of choices....I"d use the Ultima on the white S5, not sure what to clean with first. Not sure what to use on the R8 because the Pinnacle isn`t all that durable. Still...Souveran is something I like using on my limited-use garage queens (but I use Four-Star Ultimate Paint Protection on my S8).

What should I use for a full detail/wax (more steps, like using clay)?

Clay, then *polish* to reduce/remove marring. That`s the tricky part as Audis have very hard clear (that still mars readily). You`ll almost certainly need an electrical polisher for this and that opens a subject that`s too involved for this reply.

FWIW, I take all my Audis "in the plastic" as even *one* dealership was will invariably mar them to the point that I`m dissatisfied.

Anyhow...use the clay, then polish to some extent, then apply your chosed LSP.

And finally, what should I use for a detail/wax touchup?

With stuff like Souveran just apply it again (very fast and easy, but you could use the Souveran spray instead). For other LSPs, I spritz a little leaves-stuff-behind quick detailer on while drying. My favorite is Finish Kare 425 but there are other good ones.

Also, is there anything I bought that I should not use? (Other comments follow as well.)

I`m not a fan of waterless/rinseless washes, but they apparently work fine for others.

I`d get a foamgun.

Get a second bucket to use as a rinse-only bucket. Research "two bucket method" for more info. You don`t want to dunk soiled wash media into your shampoo bucket; you want to get the media clean first so as to not contaminate the shampoo mix that you rub against your paint.

If your Sonus clay kit has the gray clay in it, I wouldn`t use that. It mars paint a bit too readily for me and marring an Audi leads to tough polishing. I *DO* like the Sonus green Ultra-fine clay and I use it all the time. For more aggressive claying you might look into ClayMagic Blue.

Don`t bet your life on the Mr. Clean working as advertised ;)

Repeating for emphasis- the biggest challenge is washing/drying without marring the paint.

Oh, and one could argue that the Ultima stuff is expensive for the same reason an R8 is, and that "expensive" is relative :D

imported_Jimmyz
09-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks...

This is the Sonus clay I got... I am guessing this is the green clay you were saying to avoid:

Sonus Perfect Paint Finish Clay Polish Kit - Detailing Clay - Detailing Products & Supplies Catalog (http://www.autopia.org/shopping/product/Sonus-Perfect-Paint-Finish-Clay-Polish-Kit.html)

Do you have a link to place where I can get the Sonus grey clay?

Also, any preference between P21S Carnuba Wax (the original) or the Pinnacle Souveran?

imported_Jimmyz
09-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Also, are there any other high end waxes that you recommend? I don`t mind spending a pretty penny on some wax, but I`d rather spend less than 300 for a small tin of it.

LouisanaJeeper
09-29-2008, 06:08 PM
the R8 looks awesome

I would throw s pure sealant like Zaino AIO and Zaino Z2 in the collection. Zaino topped with P21S looks good & will last a while

imported_Jimmyz
09-29-2008, 06:11 PM
the R8 looks awesome

I would throw s pure sealant like Zaino AIO and Zaino Z2 in the collection. Zaino topped with P21S looks good & will last a while

Is that similar to the Paint Guard Plus or anything else I mentioned (the pure sealant I mean).

Thanks

imported_Jimmyz
09-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Also, as for an electrical polisher, I was thinking of buying the Sonus SFX Ultimate Detailing Kit with Porter Cable Car Polisher on Autopia, but after spending over 500 bucks of the stuff I listed, I decided ti delay that purchase until I knew that I needed it, or that it would at least be used and useful. I heard that those machines are the culprits of circle lines... is that not true, or does it all depend on what head you use. If its the latter, then does the Sonus SFX kit have the right heads included with it (I would post a link here, but this forum has a stupid no link or URL policy for the first 10 posts unless you want to wait 20 hours to have it approved by a mod). If not, or if you just think there is a better kit out there, can your recommend something?

And finally, when should I buy an electric polisher? Is it useful to get it now, even though the cars are brand new, or should I wait like 6 or so months after I have washed it countless times and probably waxes it 10 times.

imported_Jimmyz
09-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Welcome to Autopia! Cool cars, and nice color choices.

I`m a long-time Audi nut (current Audis are `00 A8 and `01 S8 that I`ve pampered since new).

I`ll give some starting points for your Qs, but (and *please* don`t take this the wrong way), I might not cover things the way you`d like as your Qs could be compared to "I bought some land and some lumber, how do I build a house?". So with that caveat....

Heh heh, "simple wash".... Washing without marring the paint is *VERY* difficult. I use a foamgun to spray lubricating shampoo mix at the point where my wash media contact the paint. Move any wash medium in short, interrupted "jiggling" motions instead of long swipes (so that any marring is short as opposed to long scratches). Never *scrub*, never apply much pressure.

Some kind of paint cleaner followed by a LSP (Last Step Product, i.e., wax or sealant). Lots of choices....I"d use the Ultima on the white S5, not sure what to clean with first. Not sure what to use on the R8 because the Pinnacle isn`t all that durable. Still...Souveran is something I like using on my limited-use garage queens (but I use Four-Star Ultimate Paint Protection on my S8).

Clay, then *polish* to reduce/remove marring. That`s the tricky part as Audis have very hard clear (that still mars readily). You`ll almost certainly need an electrical polisher for this and that opens a subject that`s too involved for this reply.

FWIW, I take all my Audis "in the plastic" as even *one* dealership was will invariably mar them to the point that I`m dissatisfied.

Anyhow...use the clay, then polish to some extent, then apply your chosed LSP.

With stuff like Souveran just apply it again (very fast and easy, but you could use the Souveran spray instead). For other LSPs, I spritz a little leaves-stuff-behind quick detailer on while drying. My favorite is Finish Kare 425 but there are other good ones.

I`m not a fan of waterless/rinseless washes, but they apparently work fine for others.

I`d get a foamgun.

Get a second bucket to use as a rinse-only bucket. Research "two bucket method" for more info. You don`t want to dunk soiled wash media into your shampoo bucket; you want to get the media clean first so as to not contaminate the shampoo mix that you rub against your paint.

If your Sonus clay kit has the gray clay in it, I wouldn`t use that. It mars paint a bit too readily for me and marring an Audi leads to tough polishing. I *DO* like the Sonus green Ultra-fine clay and I use it all the time. For more aggressive claying you might look into ClayMagic Blue.

Don`t bet your life on the Mr. Clean working as advertised ;)

Repeating for emphasis- the biggest challenge is washing/drying without marring the paint.

Oh, and one could argue that the Ultima stuff is expensive for the same reason an R8 is, and that "expensive" is relative :D

After the mods approve my posts there will be some seemingly duplicate posts. I am bringing my car to a little show tomorrow, and I put a layer of Reje-X on it, but now I am thinking of claying the whole thing and using a carnuba wax, like the Pinnacle. Problem is that you said that the green clay, which is what I got, is too strong for Audi products, so what is a good clay that I could find at a Nappa Auto Parts store? Also, can I use the clay lube that came with the green clay, or do I need another one of those as well? So, I guess I will clay the car, wash the car with the Zymol Auto Bathe shampoo, and then finish off with the Pinnacle Souveran, and then maybe top that all off with a coat of Reje-X.

So, does that sound good, or did I miss a step or mess up a step? Also, will I notice a difference between the regular carnuba Pinnacle Souveran or the Pinnacle Souveran wax spray? If not, is the spray much easier, or not.

I realize that it is expensive for a reason, but can you tell me what reason is behind the Ultima Paint Guard Plus costing so much?.. I don`t mind that it is expensive (as I bought it because it got good reviews), but I am wondering what is in it, or what does it do, that makes it cost 75 bucks for 12 oz, and where and when should I use it. Also, of all the cloths I bought, what should I use to wipe the clay lube off (or do I not need to do that), what should I use to wash the car with when using the Zymol Auto Bath, what should I use to dry the car after the wash it done, what carnuba wax applicator is the best I bought (or should I just use my hands?), and what should I use when wiping the wax off? Lastly, what towel should I use when I just want to clean some dust off the car (maybe the California duster?), and what spray should I use after that so I can have a nice shine with not to much work (as long as the car is only a bit dusty), and what towel should I use to wipe that spray wax off. I heard the Pinnacle Souveran Carnuba spray wax isn`t a simple and quick spray on and wipe off spray wax, so is there something I already have that you can recommend, or maybe something else (as I said, price isn`t really an issue for most items, which means no high end Zymol waxes, lol, but for the rest, I don`t mind spending more to get a better product).

I know I am a n00b at this, but I learn very quickly, so I hope to learn more about what to do and what not to do by reading this forum.

Oh, and have your heard of Reje-X? If you have, what are your thoughts regarding it (like or dislike?), and do you think it would be a good idea to put a coat of it on top of a coat of Pinnacle Souveran wax, or not?

Thanks guys!!!

Thomas Dekany
09-29-2008, 07:01 PM
do not use Rejex on it please.

I don`t know how new your R8 is but it may not need claying. I just prepped an S5 and it was clean.

Use the P21 paint cleaner and top it with their wax.

That will do fine for now.

Do you have a PC?

Thomas Dekany
09-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Not trying to hijack your thread. This S5 was done with Chemical Guys products.

You can make an already good looking paint much better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/2008/50pctIMG_0102.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/2008/50pctIMG_0099.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/2008/50pctIMG_0091.jpg

imported_Jimmyz
09-29-2008, 07:17 PM
do not use Rejex on it please.

I don`t know how new your R8 is but it may not need claying. I just prepped an S5 and it was clean.

Use the P21 paint cleaner and top it with their wax.

That will do fine for now.

Do you have a PC?

Is there any particular reason you don`t like Reje-X? Is it because it is bad for the car, or is it that there are much better products out there for around the same price?

So should I use the P21s paintwork cleanser as a shampoo and mix it with water and put it on the car, or is it something else and I still need to do a shampoo (if so, what shampoo mix do you recommend). Also, what towels should I use for shampooing, drying, applying the wax, and removing the wax?

And the R8 is only 10 days old, so I also didn`t think that claying it would be a good idea, but I bought it anyways.

imported_Jimmyz
09-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Not trying to hijack your thread. This S5 was done with Chemical Guys products.

You can make an already good looking paint much better.

Pff... that`s no hijack, you are answering my main question, lol. But do you by any chance know what Chemical Guys products were used on that car?

Thanks!

LouisanaJeeper
09-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Never used the Ultima stuff, but have heard it is a good sealant. Just thought the price was over the top.

Zaino AIO would be good since it will prep the surface after claying w/o the need for the p21s cleaner. What I would do:

Wash - P21S Bodywork shampoo

Clay

Quick wash or rinse

Zaino AIO

Zaino Z2 (optional)

P21S paste

OR

Wash - P21S Bodywork shampoo

Clay

Quick wash or rinse

Paintwork cleanser

UPGP

P21S paste (optional)

For your QD between washes, I would use poorboys spray and gloss, zaino QD, or I prefer Meg`s final inspection from the proline.

without sounding like a zaino zealot, Zaino Store (http://www.zainostore.com)

pt91
09-29-2008, 08:26 PM
great looking r8. i am sure you will enjoy it

I would work on a good wash routine (lots of info around her). clay you new car.

Personally I would use the Reje-X on the wheels and UPGP on the paint. smaller, clean MF applicator in circular patterns (use VERY little). I have at least 20 sealants and this is the one I use the most.

Thomas Dekany
09-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Pff... that`s no hijack, you are answering my main question, lol. But do you by any chance know what Chemical Guys products were used on that car?

Thanks!

yes, I prepped the car for a customer.

I used: ez creme glaze, followed by Extreme top coat (sealant) and finished with XXX carnauba.

The P21 cleanser is applied after you have washed and dried the car.

PS: to me rejex has a very plastic look.