PDA

View Full Version : Foaming

DetailAdict
09-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Hey Guys!

I`m a new member to the forum. I have found ALOT of useful information. But I did find something interesting that I tried to search for and I couldn`t a true explanation. What is the advantage of foaming or using the "Foam Cannon". What the differences between doing that and a traditional wash? Let me know. Thanks Guys. Sorry for the simple question...

- Chris

BigJimZ28
09-26-2008, 09:17 PM
the foam will dwel on th car longer and that will help break down the dirt

oh and it looks cool

BigAl3
09-26-2008, 09:43 PM
with the foam cannon/lance (connected to pressure washer), it creates thick foam similiar to that of shaving cream and many like it because it dwells on the finish longer, thus loosening/removing dirt easier. the foam gun (connected to the hose) is great because you can use it to pre-soak, and while you`re washing. it can serve two purposes (helps minimize marring/scratches even more) as oppose to just one of the foam cannon/lance... i love my foam gun and IMO is worth every penny i paid for it...

How to Detailing Video - Foam Gun (http://paintcarendetailing.com/foam.html)

DetailAdict
09-26-2008, 09:55 PM
that video didn`t work..

So if you do foam... How long do you let it sit on there?

BigAl3
09-26-2008, 09:58 PM
that video didn`t work..

So if you do foam... How long do you let it sit on there?

try it again, it worked fine for me...

BigAl3
09-26-2008, 10:09 PM
here`s another video... Foam gun... GOT FOAM??? - Autopia.org (http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/68918-foam-gun-got-foam.html)

imported_advs1
09-27-2008, 10:31 AM
now why didnt my foam gun work that way with just a hose? it always put out about as much foam as if i used a bucket. i tried several brands of wash and unless i filled it only with wash and very little water, it did nothing. now i do believe the hardness of the water has a lot to do with it, or am i wrong?

BigAl3
09-27-2008, 11:20 AM
now why didnt my foam gun work that way with just a hose? it always put out about as much foam as if i used a bucket. i tried several brands of wash and unless i filled it only with wash and very little water, it did nothing. now i do believe the hardness of the water has a lot to do with it, or am i wrong?

if you want a good otc soap that produces LOTS of foam, get this. it can be found at your local autozone and pepboys for around $5...

http://eagleone.com/images/products/Car_Wash.jpg

Accumulator
09-27-2008, 11:25 AM
When using a hose-based/Gilmour foamgun, you might want to employ my "dislodge and flush" approach, rather than relying on the clinging/dwell-time of a really foamy output. The objective is to wash effectively without marring. OTOH, some people seem to prioritize washing quickly/easily, which is, IME/IMO, sometimes a very different goal.

BigAl3
09-27-2008, 11:44 AM
OTOH, some people seem to prioritize washing quickly/easily, which is, IME/IMO, sometimes a very different goal.

yeah, i think everyone has different approaches on using the foam gun. some like it for pre-soaking mainly, and/or others using it while washing (or both). also, some like thick foam while others like more soapy water similiar to that of wash bucket solution. i say as long as you can safely use a wash regimen that works for you without creating scratches/marring, then you`re good to go...