PDA

View Full Version : Do you polish/seal the bumper even though it`s not clearcoat?

Egoolps
09-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Dumb question I`m sure, but isn`t the back bumper just fiberglass?

Do you still polish/wax that?

Setec Astronomy
09-25-2008, 06:53 PM
No dumb questions. Even if the bumpers were "just fiberglass" you would still polish and seal them. Fiberglass can be gelcoated which requires different prep in some regards than other surfaces, but also needs to be protected.

Most of today`s cars use an integrated front and rear fascia which is made of a flexible urethane material. This is painted with the same basecoat/clearcoat system as the rest of the car (although possibly containing a plasticizer for flexibility) and should be treated the same as the rest of the car, although these fascias may build up heat faster during polising due to the lower thermal conductivity vs. metal.

thesacrifice
09-25-2008, 06:56 PM
That probably varies from car to car, mine is painted/clearcoated

JollyGreenGiant
09-26-2008, 06:06 AM
I do. Many bumpers that are chrome are also cleared. My brand of truck for example has chrome bumpers but they have a coat of clear that a lot of people don`t polish/wax.

I`d think that it`d be a good thing. It might be a case of error on the side of caution but it`ll need protecting none the less. It`s very common for me to see the worst part of a vehicle being that back bumper. (setting things on it before going to the truck etc...)