PDA

View Full Version : 1st Detail thanks to this board...any final advice/tips?

Egoolps
09-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Two years ago, I had a beater car and had never been on this board. 13 months ago, I bought a Black Dodge Charger. 9 months ago, I started reading this board. Point blank, I got the bug. I just spent $450 3 weeks ago on all my supplies for the detail.

2007 Brilliant Black Charger - Minor swirl marks, scratches, etc.

Materials:

Porter Cable 7424

White, Orange, Black, and Blue Pads

Wolfgang Scratch Remover

Wolfgang Paint Polish

Wolfgang Sealant

Meg`s Gold Class Wax

My plan is to obviously wash/dry. Then SR-PP-Seal-Wax.

Do you have any tips for my first detail? What NOT to do and what NOT to forget?

Thanks in advance and wish me luck.

wascallyrabbit
09-25-2008, 05:53 AM
tape up your trim so you don`t stain it when you polish.

Setec Astronomy
09-25-2008, 05:58 AM
That GC wax is going to have some (very mild) cleaners in it and may remove your sealant.

Wasatch
09-25-2008, 07:56 AM
I would also clay it.

zaxjax
09-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Prep is the key to have an outstanding flawless shine.

Clay

Swirl Remove

Polish

Final Polish

Skip the Gold Class and buy Meguiar`s #26

Egoolps
09-25-2008, 11:19 AM
That GC wax is going to have some (very mild) cleaners in it and may remove your sealant.

Can you please explain?

I`ve read on here of many people putting wax over their sealants. Is that the wrong thing to do?

Wasatch
09-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Some waxes have cleaners in them, so it could/can remove whatever is underneath them. It`s an all-in-one product/one-step product. In order to be safe, you need a wax that has no chemical cleaners/abrasives in it.

Accumulator
09-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Can you please explain?

I`ve read on here of many people putting wax over their sealants. Is that the wrong thing to do?

It`s not so much right or wrong as necessary/desirable or not. I no longer top my sealants as they look OK by themselves and I like to add more from time to time.

Regarding the GC, there have been some recent posts claiming that it can leave micromarring due to some kind of abrasive content. No first-hand experience, but I did want to mention it since you hav a black car.

I`d concentrate on the prep and plan on just applying one LSP. Polishing is often a lot more time consuming than people expect and it can be quite a big job.

If your most aggressive product/pad combo doesn`t remove the marring to your satisfaction, plan on getting some 4" pads for that PC ;)

Egoolps
09-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Some waxes have cleaners in them, so it could/can remove whatever is underneath them. It`s an all-in-one product/one-step product. In order to be safe, you need a wax that has no chemical cleaners/abrasives in it.

Can you recommend one to me for black cars like mine? And what is your opinion on putting wax over sealant?

It`s not so much right or wrong as necessary/desirable or not. I no longer top my sealants as they look OK by themselves and I like to add more from time to time.

Regarding the GC, there have been some recent posts claiming that it can leave micromarring due to some kind of abrasive content. No first-hand experience, but I did want to mention it since you hav a black car.

I`d concentrate on the prep and plan on just applying one LSP. Polishing is often a lot more time consuming than people expect and it can be quite a big job.

If your most aggressive product/pad combo doesn`t remove the marring to your satisfaction, plan on getting some 4" pads for that PC ;)

Thanks for mentioning that. Let`s say I do use a wax, what do you recommend? (one that I can pickup at Autozone, because I won`t be able to order from Autopia by tomorrow)

What is one "LSP?" (sorry, newbie).

Thanks.

Accumulator
09-26-2008, 11:14 AM
.. Let`s say I do use a wax, what do you recommend? (one that I can pickup at Autozone, because I won`t be able to order from Autopia by tomorrow)

What is one "LSP?" (sorry, newbie).

Thanks.

I`m the last guy to ask about OTC products, but perhaps you can find some Collinite brand wax locally. Or Meguiar`s #26, which is a good one for black.

LSP= Last Step Product, i.e., "wax" or whatever you apply as your final step.

Wasatch
09-26-2008, 12:14 PM
ClearKote CMW, PoorBoy`s Natty, Dodo Juice, Souveran, Collinite 845, Victoria Wax, Lusso Oro,.... too name a few. I put a wax over sealants all the time, gives me something to do, lol