PDA

View Full Version : QD as clay lube wont leave streak?

shadow85
09-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Just out of curiousity, it is normal to use QD for clay lube. My question is, since you are suppose to use QD sparingly in the first place, wont it streak when you need to use alot for claying?

Ignition
09-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Yes, it is normal and there is usually even a recommendation to use it. For the streaking, I don`t think it will. When claying if you are not going to machine polish afterwards you should check the results for a small area before doing entire vehicle. (possible marring from clay on soft paint)

Some people use just a water/shampoo mix. However most shampoos will break the clay in bits. I tried just plenty of warm water with megs blue clay and it was fine. From my experience plain water is better than shampoo mix atleast for this particular clay if you don`t have any qd.

Wasatch
09-25-2008, 08:05 AM
I use ONR, about a capful in a 25oz. or so spray bottle. Never had a problem yet. After the claying, I QDd the X to get rid of whatever was left behind. Then proceeded to Prime Acrylic.

milani
09-25-2008, 08:11 AM
A couple years ago, I started using clay after washing the car and going around the car during a second wash. That way, you wipe the car down with your shampoo, clay it, wipe it again to remove any residue, then rinse... No streaks! And no wasting QD!

zaxjax
09-25-2008, 08:49 AM
A couple years ago, I started using clay after washing the car and going around the car during a second wash. That way, you wipe the car down with your shampoo, clay it, wipe it again to remove any residue, then rinse... No streaks! And no wasting QD!

I use this method and the ONR for lube for spot clay barring

BK_DC
09-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I used to use QD for claying, but switched to ONR, diluted to a stronger mix than when washing. It works great as a clay lube.

imported_Jakerooni
09-25-2008, 02:42 PM
I use water.. Plain old tap water. Works great dosen`t screw up the clay. And dosen`t streak. But in that regards you should be washing it after clay anyways. Shouldn`t matter much if it streaks if you wash it.

imported_advs1
09-25-2008, 03:10 PM
does the onr break down the clay any? i have heard people say that when using car wash or soap that the clay breaks down and leaves little lumps everywhere

ISLover
09-25-2008, 06:59 PM
If you use ONR as a clay lube, do you still need to wash the car again prior to polishing??

salty
09-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Never had a problem with ONR breaking down clay.

Wash car. Mist ONR on a section, clay and wipe dry, move on the the next section. Done.

shadow85
09-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Never had a problem with ONR breaking down clay.

Wash car. Mist ONR on a section, clay and wipe dry, move on the the next section. Done.

So you wash/dry/mist/clay/dry?

salty
09-27-2008, 03:29 AM
So you wash/dry/mist/clay/dry?

If you are doing an ONR wash you have to dry it, as that is part of the process.

If you are doing a regular wash and rinse and you are sure you washed well and removed all dirt you can clay without drying to save a step, and mist some ONR and then dry after you have done a section.