PDA

View Full Version : Will APC clean cat urine and the smell?

Bert
09-23-2008, 11:00 AM
A friend of mine`s cat got ticked off at he and his wife and decided to get revenge by spraying the couch (not sure of the cat`s condition at the moment but I assume it regretts doing so - assuming it is still alive). They have tried to clean up the stain but cannot get rid of the smell. Would APC and an extractor do the job or is cat urine just too much to deal with and they may need to throw out the couch.

imported_Jakerooni
09-23-2008, 11:17 AM
No. if it`s male cat urine there`s not much of anything on the planet that will effectively get rid of the smell. There are a few products out there that help a great deal but once a male cat starts spraying it`s time to get rid of the cat because it won`t stop.

This is the most effective product I`ve found to work against male cat urine. It worked pretty good on skunk too.

Odorcide 210 Concentrate Pet Odor Remover and Decontaminant. The Modern Chemical Miracle! (http://www.redhotcarpetcleaning.com/en-us/p_10.html)

imported_User Name
09-23-2008, 11:22 AM
bert31,

I took in a stray once (male) that started "marking" my apartment overnight. My roomate and I went over EVERY "marked" spot with every product imagineable (from bleach to APC`s to pet specific scent removers) and it never made a big improvement.

It was bearable during the colder months, but on hot or humid Brooklyn days... it was like we were storing dead bodies in our apartment. Really gross, so I wish you the best of luck.

Hakko
09-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Urine Gone works well on dog pee, but I don`t know how it would do on cat spray.

Bert
09-23-2008, 12:18 PM
bert31,

I took in a stray once (male) that started "marking" my apartment overnight. My roomate and I went over EVERY "marked" spot with every product imagineable (from bleach to APC`s to pet specific scent removers) and it never made a big improvement.

It was bearable during the colder months, but on hot or humid Brooklyn days... it was like we were storing dead bodies in our apartment.

I take it you guys did not get your deposit back from the land lord? :)

imported_User Name
09-23-2008, 12:29 PM
I take it you guys did not get your deposit back from the land lord? :)

Landlord was the lawschool and they were clueless!!! LOL

When I walk by that building, I feel like I can still smell it.

charlesaferg
09-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Odorcide 210 Concentrate Pet Odor Remover and Decontaminant. The Modern Chemical Miracle! (http://www.redhotcarpetcleaning.com/en-us/p_10.html)

Until your friend who happens to work in forensics comes over, "I know that smell, and I can`t quite put my finger on....oh no."

:nixweiss

wannafbody
09-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Where`s Billy May`s when you have a Urine Gone question:nervous:

charlesaferg
09-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Where`s Billy May`s when you have a Urine Gone question:nervous:

God that guy is exactly like my old HS science teacher... :closed:

qwertydude
09-23-2008, 01:11 PM
At least he`s better than Vince Offer that guy`s a total d*ick.

Bert
09-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Landlord was the lawschool and they were clueless!!! LOL

When I walk by that building, I feel like I can still smell it.

That tends to be the norm with many colleges` housing staff. I feel sorry for the people who moved in after you. LOL.

imported_mystic04
09-23-2008, 03:21 PM
contract bill Nye the science guy. Pet store should have some good products to use for cat spray

pharmboyrx
09-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Go to your local pet store and get some Nature`s Miracle. I swear by it. It really works. I took in a 3rd cat and suddenly everyone is marking. My landlord couldn`t even tell when we moved out. Be prepared to really soak it down so its better to buy too much than too little. And don`t forget to shake it up!

MatrixXRS
09-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Sorry, man. I think it`s a lost cause. I`ve had my house cat urinate on my couch and there is literally no product on earth that will fully eliminate the odor. I`ve tried every creative house remedy and pet odor cleaner (Simple Solution, Out!, and some various Veterinary office cleaners) to no avail. The biggest challenge is that the cat urine penetrates the fibers in the cushioning. You`ll no doubt have to soak it, and that may help reduce the odor for the most part, but I don`t think you`ll ever be rid of it. Whatever you do, if you have any interest in salvaging the couch, use only enzymatic cleaners. Your traditional household stain removers (Resolve, Spot Shot, etc.) will only intensify the odor. Nature`s Miracle and Simple Solution are your best options from my experience, but buy a gallon. You`ll probably need it...