PDA

View Full Version : Treatment for textured plastic cladding?

TheJeepGuy
09-22-2008, 04:30 PM
What would you guys suggest for the textured plastic bumper covers and the cladding on the sides of a Jeep Grand Cherokee? I`ve tried Mother`s Back To Black, and I really don`t like it that much. It`s streaky, messy, and doesn`t last longer than maybe two carwashes.

I thought about 303 Aerospace protectant, but I kind of want something that will add just a little bit of gloss to it. Otherwise, that cladding looks so dull and lifeless. When I first got this Jeep (and on previous Laredo package Jeeps), I used a solvent-based tire dressing, and it worked well, achieving the look I was after, but the after-effects were bad...Morning dew made it streak like crazy, and washing the Jeep almost completely removed it, not to mention all that silicone in the wash water killed the soap suds.

I see Duragloss makes some interesting products, but they all appear to be basically different forms of silicone spray...Something I`m not too keen on using unless it`s all I can get. I`d like something with some good durability that I don`t have to re-apply after every wash.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

[Twitch]
09-22-2008, 04:39 PM
I`ve been using Poorboy`s Trim Restorer. Give a higher gloss than 303, doesn`t run in the rain and doesn`t look or feel greasy.

Here are some pictures after 5 weeks and 4 car washes Poorboy`s Trim Restorer (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/review/pb_trim/)

Gives a nice natural look to the trim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Twitch777/PC7424/Picture058.jpg

mblgjr
09-22-2008, 05:03 PM
I second the Poorboy`s Trim Restore; I love it all around.

BUT for larger panels and expediency, Meg`s Exterior Trim Detailer is fast and lasts quite a while. If you get a really heavy rain shortly after application it will streak sometimes but its pretty set once dried. It has about the same look as PB TR; just doesn`t have the durability.

Mother`s Back to Black is junk; even the newer formula.

Black Again is very similar to PB TR in looks dept, not quite as nice and doesn`t have the durability either. It is a bit easier to apply though and dries to a nice sheen.