PDA

View Full Version : 5 year wax? lol

Pages : [1] 2

lbcsublime9
09-21-2008, 06:52 PM
my friend bought a new acura tl type s, i felt the paint and it was pretty rough, i mention to him he should throw a couple coats of wax on, he claims the dealer waxed it for 300 bucks, and it will last 5 years. i dont know any wax that last more than 6 months, and i figured the dealer is good at making some people believe bs. i looked it up and found this, still seems like a crock of **** to me. anyone has any experience. even if it does work id still wax every 3-6 months.

The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online Forums > Appearance & Detailing > > Re: No waxing, no fading, bird droppings, bug...for five years (http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=518938)

wannafbody
09-21-2008, 07:02 PM
It`s probably a good product but no way it will last 5 years in the real world environment. Most products last 1-6 months in the real world.

stiffdogg06
09-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Its some Xzilion or some junk of that nature that the dealership "sells."

My brother was offered it when he bought his `06 TL. I told him no since I went car buying with him. :)

Let me tell you, it def. didn`t last the 2 years he`s had his TL

JohnKleven
09-21-2008, 08:07 PM
All the sealants, perma plate, resist-all, toughguard, xzilon, etc. are all a scam. They are all an oil and water emulsion, so they clean off with soap and water. Matrix micro coatings is permanent, and really works, BUT it`s not a wax, it`s a baked on ceramic layer. No wax, or regular paint sealant will ever last that long. They`re basically selling a B.S. product with a warranty.

John

BigAl3
09-21-2008, 09:02 PM
yet another dealer accessory they take people a ride on. for $300, he could of got a D/A and a bunch of products. oh well, i`m sure it`s a lesson learned... :(

p.s. have him check out this site and hopefully he`ll learn how to maintain his vehicle from this point on...

qwertydude
09-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Sorry matrix micro coating is not ceramic. It`s resin even says so on the site. Real ceramic and even powder coat clears need a lot of heat to set, more than the paint can handle without melting and burning. Doesn`t sound like anything special.

JohnKleven
09-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Sorry matrix micro coating is not ceramic. It`s resin even says so on the site. Real ceramic and even powder coat clears need a lot of heat to set, more than the paint can handle without melting and burning. Doesn`t sound like anything special.

Wow, I`m impressed by your knowledge of the product. You`re correct, it is actually considered a "pre-ceramic", as it is "baked" onto the car, BUT does not get hot enough to actually reach a ceramic level. If it was a true ceramic, it would crack over time. It does however contain ceramic nano-particles in it. It`s an amazing product, but lots of people are very skeptical about it.

John

imported_Jakerooni
09-22-2008, 06:23 AM
The real kicker about any of that type of stuff is if you read you`re warrenty papers almost all of it will void out any warrenty through your car manufacturer. So if you have that on your car and get into a fender bender they don`t have to repaint you`re car because you voided out your warrenty. I know full GM seriously frowns on anything on the paint. Even the "rustproofing and paint sealants" you get suckered into buying at the dealerships when the car is brand new techincally voids out your warrenties. Dealer just make a killer on selling it so they don`t stop.

pharmboyrx
09-22-2008, 06:32 AM
I just bought a honda and this was part of the total package I declined in the finance department. Every time I declined something he would ask me why I didn`t want it.

Why don`t you want the LoJack installed? I have a friend who will install it at cost for me. Why don`t yo want the GAP coverage? I got it for a quarter what you want. Why don`t you want the coating? I detail as a hobby, it won`t work and it means I have to let the dealership touch my car which still has all the plastic on it.

I hate the finance department. All this was after I had to spend 10 minutes declining their finance offer. I got 4.9% through my credit union and they were trying to sell me on 5.9% through the dealership. "But you can lower your monthly payments if you go over 60 months instead of 36 months through your credit union." Of course I have no intention of even taking 36 months to pay off the loan so it was a moot point.

Sorry to go OT. What were we talking about? Oh yeah, Xzilion sucks.

zaxjax
09-22-2008, 06:44 AM
I just picked up an 08 335i and the dealer also offered me this "paint protection" scam.

I even told them not to dealer prep the car because I would do it myself. They insisted and I`m glad I brought along a alcohol wipe. Sure enough, one swipe revealed the crappy dealer prep.

pharmboyrx
09-22-2008, 07:02 AM
I`m taking a bottle of ONR, alcohol, and several MFs with me to the dealership to take delivery today. I shall reveal any flaws on the lot before leaving.

mborner
09-22-2008, 07:39 AM
The real kicker about any of that type of stuff is if you read you`re warrenty papers almost all of it will void out any warrenty through your car manufacturer. So if you have that on your car and get into a fender bender they don`t have to repaint you`re car because you voided out your warrenty. I know full GM seriously frowns on anything on the paint. Even the "rustproofing and paint sealants" you get suckered into buying at the dealerships when the car is brand new techincally voids out your warrenties. Dealer just make a killer on selling it so they don`t stop.

Where on Gods green earth did you hear this? It`s absolutely false. Manufacturers voiding your warranty because of paint sealant? LOL. Do some more research. And, since when is a fender bender covered under warranty? Do you even know what you`re talking about? GM does not frown on anything on your paint. The owners manual on ALL GM cars recommends that you wax your car regularly. Seriously, where do you get this stuff?

imported_Larry A
09-22-2008, 07:52 AM
When you buy a paint package from a dealer that claims to last 5 years , what you bought is a warranty that says your paint will not be damaged in 5 years. If your car is washed regular and in a garage it will still be in good shape after 5 years with no sealant put on it .It may not have a nice shine on it , but it wont have a nice shine on it with a 5 year protection plan.

imported_Jakerooni
09-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Where on Gods green earth did you hear this? It`s absolutely false. Manufacturers voiding your warranty because of paint sealant? LOL. Do some more research. And, since when is a fender bender covered under warranty? Do you even know what you`re talking about? GM does not frown on anything on your paint. The owners manual on ALL GM cars recommends that you wax your car regularly. Seriously, where do you get this stuff?

Having worked directly for GM and at GM dealership where the reps straight from the company have came in and told us directly from their own mouths... mmm seems like a pretty good source to me.. maybe they just lied for all these years I gues.

mborner
09-22-2008, 09:06 AM
^^ Let me get this straight. You are saying that if I put ANY kind of sealant on my GM car, it will VOID my warranty. Is that what you are saying? I want to be clear because that`s what you said in your first post. So, that means if the rear main seal on my 2008 Pontiac G6 developed a leak, GM would tell me that I`m out of luck because my paint has sealant on it? NONSENSE!!

And what on earth are you talking about with warranty fender benders? WTH??

Sorry, maybe I just read your post wrong but that`s what I understood. Also, it is a FACT that General Motors Recommends waxing/sealing your car on a regular basis.

BTW, I`ve been working for Toyota/Lexus for 28 years. All of your statements are nonsense.