PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Road Striping Overspray removal

Crossed Flags
09-21-2008, 06:34 AM
Met with a client yesterday regarding yellow striping overspray on his rockers and wheel wells. Vehicle is a 2007 BMW X3 Dark Blue. Any recommendations on how to soften the overspray for removal? BMW is recommending WD40 soak or vaseline for an extended period to soften. Just trying to make my job easier.

Thanks!

gigondaz
09-21-2008, 07:09 AM
I`ve encountered this problem before.

Just dampen/soak the affected areas with lots of nail polish remover/acetone.

If this doesn`t work, try thinner.

WD40 is not strong enough.

imported_smprince1
09-21-2008, 08:37 AM
I`ve used WD40 and plastic razors. It`s tedious but it worked without damage.

jimmybuffit
09-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Solvents vary greatly in strength and should be used only with extreme caution and complete knowledge of their actions. These items are intended to remove paint, right?

Lacquer thinner WILL affect the clearcoat. Not immediately, but rather over time. It may take 18 months for the degradation to appear, but it will happen!

Pressure Washer, Plastic blades, steamers, and CLAY are all safer options than solvents.

Tread lightly.

Jim

AppliedColors
09-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Refer to this post:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/110642-road-paint-removal-jeep-liberty.html

We removed 90% of the road paint with a pressure washer. Just aim for the base of the paint specs and turn your pressure washer up to 2500 psi.

JohnKleven
09-21-2008, 10:13 PM
We will spray lacquer on the affected areas and let it sit for a minute or two, then reapply and pressure wash off. It should come off very easily.

John