PDA

View Full Version : black trim cleaning

weedsnager
09-20-2008, 01:43 PM
looking for a cleaner/polish for black trim, the trim is not old and faded, it`s a brand new truck....looking for something that is not greasy.....i had an old meguiars bottle in my garage.....it`s about 6 years old....it looks great going on, but after the truck sits in the sun for a day it looks terrible...not looking for a high gloss

stiffdogg06
09-20-2008, 01:50 PM
If you`re looking for a dressing.

Black Wow or Top Of The Line Bumper & Molding Renew.

Oh and for a cleaner, GR-40 from top of the line.com

zaxjax
09-20-2008, 05:53 PM
303 Aerospace Protectant

imported_01GreyStangGT
09-20-2008, 06:35 PM
I use Trim Shine by Stoner

Bigpoppa3346
09-20-2008, 07:12 PM
If you`re looking for a dressing.

Black Wow or Top Of The Line Bumper & Molding Renew.

Oh and for a cleaner, GR-40 from top of the line.com

Exactly what I was gonna say (minus the Black Wow, never used it).

Note that I can`t get the GR-40 (or *anything* for that matter) to remove wax staining from certain manufacturers trim.

stiffdogg06
09-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Exactly what I was gonna say (minus the Black Wow, never used it).

Note that I can`t get the GR-40 (or *anything* for that matter) to remove wax staining from certain manufacturers trim.

So far GR-40 has removed what I need for it to remove.

What cars are you having problems with bud?

weedsnager
09-20-2008, 07:24 PM
any products that can be bought locally?

JollyGreenGiant
09-20-2008, 08:16 PM
It might be more greasy than you want but Meg`s #40 is in most autozones and Orielys around here.

303 can sometimes be found a pool & spa places. I`ve never used it but have heard rave reviews.

Also heard rave reviews about Black Wow as well.

If you`re looking for something non greasy and more of a flat finish Meg`s HyperDressing cut 4:1 might be an option.

I can`t speak for wow or 303. but the others if not hand buffed after application will have a tendancy to run if they get in the rain soon after application.

qwertydude
09-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Turtle Wax Ice polish works does not leave any oils behind and is available locally, sometimes on clearance. Also it buffs off paint really eaily. I should buy more in case they discontinue it. It`s a disappointment on paint but cleans and puts a nice semi-gloss look to plastics.

Bigpoppa3346
09-21-2008, 03:43 PM
So far GR-40 has removed what I need for it to remove.

What cars are you having problems with bud?

I could go on for a while about it, but will probably lose your attention.

When I used it on some stained BMW trim, it worked great, everything "looked" perfect, I then used Hi-Temp`s Bumper Renew. Was amazed at how long the trim looked great for (1.5 months and 3 washes, normally I get a few weeks on this trim). Now, at the 4th wash and almost 2nd month, there is some staining starting to re-appear. :confused:

I`ve had it work great on other trims, but on this and maybe a few others, I have had staining come back. I work it in to the surface with a sorta rough old Vroom MF (never did have much luck using brushes to work it in), let it dry, then dress.

HBR
09-21-2008, 04:29 PM
I used Magic Eraser to get wax staining off M3 trim, looks brand new.

stilez
09-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Have always had great luck with GR-40 to clean.

sallreen
09-22-2008, 12:28 AM
The first step is a routine washing to remove dust, road grime, and other contaminants. The second is a more thorough cleaning process to prepare your car`s paint for a protective coating. Supercars should always be washed by hand - never by an automated machine like you`d find at a petrol station.

---------------------

Sally

drivenwide