PDA

View Full Version : dust

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_tuffluck
09-19-2008, 08:00 AM
i have a dark blue camaro and i use tech wax 2.0 and live in dallas. i don`t know why, but i have the worst dusting problem in the world. last night i parked my car in the garage after washing/waxing it. this morning i open it up and i can see the sun`s reflection on the car and it is solidly covered in a layer of dust. now my garage is pretty old and kind of crappy and possibly a lot of dust is in the wood ceiling there, etc, but can anyone help me diagnose why this dusting to this level occurs and is there anything i can do about it? it is just very annoying. my car literally needs to be washed every 2 or 3 days because of the level of dust that accumulates. would topping the tech wax with #16 help any? thanks.

qwertydude
09-19-2008, 08:12 AM
NXT is a pretty oily wax and tends to attract dust, Just use #16 and you`ll be better off. It doesn`t attract the dust and lasts longer than NXT.

imported_tuffluck
09-19-2008, 08:42 AM
yeah i had planned to put it on top of the nxt. i used to do this back in the day but because of the 24 hour cure time for nxt i lost my patience and haven`t done it since. :P

Eliot Ness
09-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Use some FK 425 QD to cut down on the static and dust attracting properties of any wax:

Finish Kare FK1 Professional Detailing Products (http://www.fk1usa.com/products-professional.htm)

I gave you the link to the professional section of the site so you can order a gallon..... it really is that good:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/109748-what-fk425.html

imported_tuffluck
09-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Use some FK 425 QD to cut down on the static and dust attracting properties of any wax:

Finish Kare FK1 Professional Detailing Products (http://www.fk1usa.com/products-professional.htm)

I gave you the link to the professional section of the site so you can order a gallon..... it really is that good:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/109748-what-fk425.html

how often should that be applied?

see when i put on the 16 this weekend i will wash the car again. there is so much dust i don`t want to go at it with meguiars QD, afraid it will mar the paint.

let me also ask what the best method is to apply it? like with a microfiber after every time i wash or what? thanks.

Eliot Ness
09-19-2008, 10:48 AM
..........see when i put on the 16 this weekend i will wash the car again. there is so much dust i don`t want to go at it with meguiars QD, afraid it will mar the paint..........That is a very good idea..... when in doubt always wash.
how often should that be applied?..........

let me also ask what the best method is to apply it? like with a microfiber after every time i wash or what? thanks.Yes after a wash is a great time to use almost any QD to add a bit of pop and slickness. Just lightly mist (spray) a panel, wipe off with a quality MF and then buff with the dry side or a different MF.

sixty7mustang22
09-19-2008, 10:54 AM
I`ve used less dust attracting LSPs and in my garage, it still doesn`t help. The house is new and the vehicle is like new, but, I live on a dirt road and we are in a draught. Sometimes, you just can`t hide from it.

imported_tuffluck
09-19-2008, 10:54 AM
thanks. i already ordered a gallon :)

jimmie jam
09-19-2008, 11:07 AM
i seem to have this problem on my C6 also after using NXT 1.0. :think2 i have found that after i apply and remove i will free flow water on the car and then blow dry/wipe remaing spots lightly. this seems to cut the static buildup that i think is attracting my dust. works for me.

imported_tuffluck
09-19-2008, 12:46 PM
i seem to have this problem on my C6 also after using NXT 1.0. :think2 i have found that after i apply and remove i will free flow water on the car and then blow dry/wipe remaing spots lightly. this seems to cut the static buildup that i think is attracting my dust. works for me.

i am not sure the drying technique you are using is really helping a lot since what they say about NXT is that it is very oily and blow drying your car isn`t going to change that much.

but your car is also white and probably it`s much more difficult to notice dust on your car than a dark color car. i couldn`t dry like you say or else water spots would be visible on my car. i`d rather have dust than water spots, since dust is really not noticeable in shade.

protojason
09-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I have a gallon of Fk 425 too. At first, I didnt really use it too often, my car is white and seems to conceal swirls/dust pretty well.

I must be the last autopian to read about applying a quick detailer while drying your car after washing.

Today after I washed `er, I did the whole flooding trick to leave the car mostly dry. Reached for the microfiber waffle weave to dry as normal, only this time my spray bottle of FK425 was right next to the towel. Finally it hit me to give it a go.

Just misted and dried at the same time. Nice time saving step...

-Jason

stang2676
09-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Another solution to this problem can be a car cover. You can get some that are specifically made for keeping dust off. They are extremely breathable. My car cover has helped a bunch in keeping the car clean!

jimmie jam
09-19-2008, 07:21 PM
i am not sure the drying technique you are using is really helping a lot since what they say about NXT is that it is very oily and blow drying your car isn`t going to change that much.

but your car is also white and probably it`s much more difficult to notice dust on your car than a dark color car. i couldn`t dry like you say or else water spots would be visible on my car. i`d rather have dust than water spots, since dust is really not noticeable in shade.

re read my post. my drying technique doesn`t have anything to do with cutting the dust. its the wetting of the car after the NXT has been applied/removed that will cut some of the "fresh" oils therefore not attracting as much dust. by the way, how would you get water spots if you immediately remove all the water (dry) :doh. just wondering?

imported_tuffluck
09-29-2008, 12:31 PM
so guys i got my FK425 on Saturday and applied it after a wash. i wiped it on with a microfiber and off with another. 2 days later and dusting is terrible, just as bad as before. it appears the 425 didn`t help at all. does this have to be applied multiple times to have the anti-static effect?

Blade9
09-29-2008, 07:03 PM
You probably need to stop using waxes altogether, and switch to sealants or glazes. Waxes in general attract dust. For a QD, try the Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer. It`s so slippery, it is like teflon (in fact, I think it contains the material used for teflon.)