PDA

View Full Version : Crying over spilled milk!

MCWD
09-18-2008, 10:34 PM
I have a customer who had a gallon of milk in a plastci shopping bag. Somehow it leaked in the bag and slightly spilled onto the carpet during transport. I have steamed the area multiple times, taken odor bombs to it, carpet cleaner, and I`m still smelling it. Any suggestions? I think the smell may be in the cabin filter bc it has sat with the musty smell. HELP!!!

:nervous2:

Flashtime
09-18-2008, 11:23 PM
What if that`s just the smell? Customer has BO.

J/k... The cabin filter should be easy to check (often neglected too).

How about underneath the seat? Or the bottom side of the seat itself?

salty
09-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Does the carpet still smell in that area?

Clean it, enzyme deodorizer and let dry. Repeat if needed. Enzyme only works when wet.

You could finish with Febreze.

JollyGreenGiant
09-19-2008, 05:44 AM
Have you considered as a last resort to take the carpet out or at least lift up that area? Sounds like it`s down in the padding or even dried on the metal and is getting remoisturized by the steam and whatnot. Just a thought. :nixweiss

Driven Auto Detail
09-19-2008, 06:41 AM
Send a message to "Jimmy Buffit". He`s had his fair share of "spilled milk" vehicles at his shop.

jimmybuffit
09-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks Mike.

First, if you do not have an extractor this will be very hard work, and perhaps impossible.

As with any odor, one must find and remove the source. Odds are good that the milk has seeped through the carpet (and pad?) to the metal of the body. Lift the carpet to check for moisture.

A deodorant/disinfectant is required (no, not bleach!). Microban, Herbicide, or ValuGard`s Odor Terminator are all excellent choices. Once you`ve thoroughly cleaned and disinfected the affected area, dry thoroughly - this is mandatory! Now,mist the entire interior with the chosen disinfectant.

Car should should be odor neutral at this point.

Good Luck.

Jim

qwertydude
09-19-2008, 08:15 AM
A strong wet dry vac can also be used. Soak the area with lots of soapy water, saturate it so it`s sopping wet, and then use the vacuum and a crevice tool to suck out all that water. It may take a few tries but it will get the deep down stuff.

Driven Auto Detail
09-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks Mike.

Jim

Anytime! With as many vehicles that come through your shop, you definitely see a lot of stuff that is outside of the box.

imported_Jakerooni
09-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Yea I`ve had to go so far as to pull all the trim and carpeting right out of a few cars. Milk is bad it seeps down everywhere. A heated carpet extractor will make the job easier. But if you still smelling it you obviously haven`t gotten it all yet. I personally use Odorcide. It`s used mainly to get the smell of dead bodies out of crime sceens. (guy in the feild tipped me on to it) and they`ll even send you a free sample to try out first. but Jimmi is dead on... You have to mist every sqaure inch of the interior with stuff like that. It works on a chemical level that actually encapsulates and then eats the bactieria causing the smell. so you have to make sure you got it all.

MCWD
09-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks Mike.

First, if you do not have an extractor this will be very hard work, and perhaps impossible.

As with any odor, one must find and remove the source. Odds are good that the milk has seeped through the carpet (and pad?) to the metal of the body. Lift the carpet to check for moisture.

A deodorant/disinfectant is required (no, not bleach!). Microban, Herbicide, or ValuGard`s Odor Terminator are all excellent choices. Once you`ve thoroughly cleaned and disinfected the affected area, dry thoroughly - this is mandatory! Now,mist the entire interior with the chosen disinfectant.

Car should should be odor neutral at this point.

Good Luck.

Jim

I do have a heated extractor and I plan on attacking the vehicle with your suggested method. Thank you!