PDA

View Full Version : Geez! Detail next week!

Wannabe6MT
09-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Next week i am detailing an 03 G35 Coupe TT, getting it ready for Hot Import Nights.

I need to make this baby PERFECT.

What would you guys reccomend, keep in mind this thing is black.

I detailed our black Silverado yesterday, and although its shiney as can be, i still notice small swirls (Id like tog et rid of 90% of them on this car)

For products i used a mothers clay bar, with meguirers instant detailer, then topped it off with 1 coat of meguirers gold class wax.

Is there anything i just look for that might eliminate a good chunk of the remaining swirls, or what?

Thanks in advance!

Lumadar
09-18-2008, 03:56 PM
I think you will find that in general that black paint is quite easy to work with.

Out of the products you listed, NONE of them REMOVE swirls. The wax might slightly hide a few, but that`s not going to be enough.

Do you have any type of polisher, or is all of the work going to be by hand?

Wannabe6MT
09-18-2008, 04:03 PM
I dont have a polisher, i usually do things by hand.

I have not trained myself to use a polisher yet (i should find somone to show me) im to afraid of messing up the paint.

BigAl3
09-18-2008, 04:05 PM
where are you located?

Lumadar
09-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Well, removing swirls completely with a machine can be tough enough, by hand is virtually impossible unless you are willing to spend two long, hard days.

Your best bet would be Meguiar`s M105 by hand, followed by Meguiar`s ScratchX by hand. It will be TOUGH to do an entire car...but it should yield pretty decent results.

NCZ13
09-18-2008, 04:09 PM
i dont really see how you can prep a car for a show with those products...

paint correction is a must for show quality...

Lumadar
09-18-2008, 04:12 PM
i dont really see how you can prep a car for a show with those products...

paint correction is a must for show quality...

It depends on what your expectations are, really. Obviously for a hardcore show you need machines and several more products. For the local weekly or annual car show that is mostly for fun the standards aren`t as high.

Wannabe6MT
09-18-2008, 04:13 PM
^lol im only 17. I have some Zaino for my car, but its a bit much for how much im charging (not that much)

Im in Minnesota BTW

imported_JoshVette
09-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Sorry but you will not remove 90% of swirls on any car without a polisher like a DA Porter Cable.

NCZ13
09-18-2008, 04:46 PM
It depends on what your expectations are, really. Obviously for a hardcore show you need machines and several more products. For the local weekly or annual car show that is mostly for fun the standards aren`t as high.

Hot import nights is a pretty big deal.

zaino is a good start, but like josh said, you need a machine

Lumadar
09-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Hot import nights is a pretty big deal.

zaino is a good start, but like josh said, you need a machine

True, but the expectations for most vehicles (the un-sponsored ones) are low. The average "import" is in TERRIBLE condition paint=wise. He`ll be fine if he gets half the swirls gone...

Wannabe6MT
09-18-2008, 05:20 PM
My dad had a polisher so i went and bought some pads tonight and practiced on our pickup. Parked it in the sun and wow, even my first time skills got rid of most of the swirls.

Im wondering though, is there a tutorial on this board for buffing?

BigAl3
09-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Im wondering though, is there a tutorial on this board for buffing?

save up some money and get a PC, it` one of the best investments you`ll make. here are some very informative videos to check out... Car Detailing videos - How to detail, polish and wax your Car (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video.html) also, this as well... Autopia Articles (http://articles.autopia.org/index.php)

BTW... :welcome !

Wannabe6MT
09-18-2008, 07:47 PM
save up some money and get a PC, it` one of the best investments you`ll make. here are some very informative videos to check out... Car Detailing videos - How to detail, polish and wax your Car (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video.html) also, this as well... Autopia Articles (http://articles.autopia.org/index.php)

BTW... :welcome !

Thanks! Ill look into a porter cable, but the one i have now seems to be working.

ABQDetailer
09-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Check You Tube for tons on Polishing, Buffing, Sanding. You can also search Porter Cable and Flex 3401 to see lots of technique examples.

Be sure to search for wetsanding too! ;)