PDA

View Full Version : Detailing a panel at a time. Is it okay?

Peanuthead
09-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Is it okay to fully detail a body panel at a time? I don`t think that I can get my car done in one day and I would be doing this outside.

Holden_C04
09-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes, this is perfectly acceptable. Try to get the vehicle done in a reasonable amount of time or you will have to re-do panels to match the polished ones.

Peanuthead
09-17-2008, 05:48 PM
I plan on a full detail over a weekend but it really depends on how my back holds out.

Bobby G
09-17-2008, 07:07 PM
I frequently did it a panel at a time... I`m ADD and can`t focus any longer than a single panel :)

imported_detail1
09-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Is it okay to fully detail a body panel at a time? I don`t think that I can get my car done in one day and I would be doing this outside.

I think a better way is to do the hood, roof and trunk in one day.

Then you can do the upper fenders, upper doors and upper qaurters in one day.

Then the lower fenders, doors, quarters and bumpers in one day.

This will keep everything uniform.

slckrsx
09-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Good idea. I like the way you laid that out.

eyezack87
09-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Perfectly acceptable. I started doing mine while I was in school. Took about a month to finish as I was learning the machine at the same time lol

[Twitch]
09-17-2008, 09:28 PM

I a panel at a time because I rarely find 20 straight hours free to do my whole car.

Light cut > Polish > Seal for one panel

Just remember not to polish the panel you just finished, or you`ll have to do it again.

When I did my car, I started with rear quarter panel, sealed it then called it a night.

Next day, I taped the edge of that rear quarter panel in case I overlapped with the PC when I do the trunk lid and door.

Peanuthead
09-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Wow! Thank you everyone. I`m absolutely excited as I near my detailing date. I figure I`ll take Friday off and then go to town is hopes of finishing on Sunday.

buja
09-19-2008, 06:43 AM
coincidence that you posted this up, today was my first time too.

only managed to do the bonnet, roof and boot.

ran out of time and energy.

most importantly for us new at this, is to go slow and easy, be cautious and focused.

imported_kenny1775
09-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Yeah, it`s really hard for a non-pro/enthusiast to do a full job on their car...

I`ve never been able to find more than 2-3hrs/day to play with my baby :( it`s usually closer to 30-45mins.

titsataki
09-19-2008, 08:07 AM
Same here. I usually light up the halogens and check around the paint.

I then work on the offending panel. If there are more than one I do them one at a time. I usually seal them but usually I reseal the whole car at the end.

Even if you buff out the sealant you can always re apply. I use FMJ so it does not take long at all.

Cheers

Bis
07-20-2011, 06:16 AM
I think a better way is to do the hood, roof and trunk in one day.

Then you can do the upper fenders, upper doors and upper qaurters in one day.

Then the lower fenders, doors, quarters and bumpers in one day.

This will keep everything uniform.

That`s a good strategy. I am also considering the "one-panel-at-a-time" process due to the size of the vehicle I am working on and the amount of time I have to do the work.

Thank you.

Dr. Woo
07-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Thread resurrection! Good one though, I`m in the very same boat.

Bis
07-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Whoah, I did not realize how old that one was. Helpful thread though.