PDA

View Full Version : what to use to remove cement .

imported_mystic04
09-17-2008, 04:46 PM
HI guys i had a guy call me to do his chevy 4door truck . He said he drove thur cement and wants it removed , it`s all over the side rockers down low and some on the left front lower fender , not to mention the wheel wells, so whats best to get this off his paint .i was thinking clay first to see how that would work but i felt someone here has something better and easier. I thank you all ahead of time.

stiffdogg06
09-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Search please. There are tons of threads covering this issue.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/111252-great-advice-autopia.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/professional-detailer-general-discussion/110041-concrete-removal.html

By the looks of it, a sponge soaked in White Vinegar will do the trick for you.

Eliot Ness
09-17-2008, 05:19 PM
This stuff is supposed to work very well:

Cement Remover (http://www.topoftheline.com/cement-concrete-remover-auto.html)

I`ve also read that vinegar will dissolve it, but I`ve never tried it. I suppose the trick would be to keep it wet by using a towel or a sprayer. It might also depend on how old and the type of concrete mix.

Bobby G
09-17-2008, 07:09 PM
I have used vinegar for years. I learned the trick after learning to work with interior plaster. I used vinegar to get the plaster off of me. Years later I had cement on my own car, used vinegar and it work beautifully. I`ve recommended this method ever since.

imported_Jakerooni
09-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Dave you are a time saver.... I don;t know how many trucks I`ve done this summer with cement on them.. It was an all day process. Going to stock up on some viniger tomorrow.

green dimnd
09-18-2008, 05:42 AM
Vinegar is definitely the way to go. I recently did a car that had splatter over most of the horizontal surfaces. I tore soft paper towels into small squares and soaked them in white vinegar. After laying them over each spot and leaving them for 20 minutes or so, the cement either dissolved completely or the speck that remained came away from the paint without marring.

imported_mystic04
09-18-2008, 07:14 AM
Thanks for all the answers !!!

imported_mystic04
09-19-2008, 07:56 AM
WEll i tried the vinegar and it didn`t work all that well .IT did help some but not in the way i was expecting. after soaking and rubbing and soaking and rubbing more i then mixed the vinegar and some bug and tar foam remover together and let it sit for a while and it finally started to come off very slow. took about 2 hours to get it off the lower fender ,lower door panel and back lower quater . never was able to get to the wheel wells got to dark outside.SO i told the person if he wants me to remove more i`ll need the turck for another day.

Bobby G
09-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Timing is everything. If the cement is fully cured the vinegar may not have enough acid to do the job.

You can increase the acid strength as long as you realize you may etch the surface of the paint and have to do some polishing. I have mixed muriatic acid with water to use on tough jobs, but I have always hesitated to recommend it here for fear some idiot would hurt themselves and want to sue me! At a ratio of 25:1 (water to muriatic acid), the cement melts off and you have about 1 minute to rinse before etching begins.

Another reasonably safe acid source to use is an acid wheel cleaner. These products are stronger than vinegar acid (much stronger) and much safer than playing with muriatic acid.

green dimnd
09-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Also pickling vinegar is 8-10% acetic acid as opposed to 5% for regular vinegar.

imported_mystic04
09-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Well what was thought to be cement turned out to be road paint along with cement. I found out latter it was both , so all the trouble was trying to get the road line paint off,