PDA

View Full Version : Ultima Paint Guard Plus or Opti-seal

DM101
09-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Which do you like best. I have a new boat and I want to apply something thats very effective repelling water spots and protecting my boat. I think one of these would fit the bill. I realize you will be giving me your opinion, but that is what I would like. Thanks

Legacy
09-17-2008, 12:54 PM
I don`t think either one is great for marine use. Why not check out Dura Gloss marine line.

imported_bigfoot
09-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Either Duragloss or Meguiars have a marine line, which will work a lot better

GlossyTundra
09-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Out of the 2 you picked, i`d pick UPGP. I found it just as easy to use, more durable and wayy better looking.

DM101
09-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Understand a sealant is much better for my application. With boats you have to worry about water spotting and hard water deposits. Most companies Marine Line is the same product or extremely similar to the Auto Line.

I also have thought about Meg #21 .......

DM101
09-18-2008, 07:49 AM
come on and give me some feedback.

Mobilejay
09-18-2008, 08:07 AM
With the two you picked, you can`t go wrong with either. UPGP is a tiny bit trickier to apply with out streaks but don`t let that stop you from getting it. Opti Seal is an awesome product as well. They last a hell of a long time. I have both and use them very often. On black I would use UPGP. I have a client that posts on here with a focus. I am amazed everytime I do his car and how the paint looks with the UPGP on it.

I *think* the OS last longer with fewer apps than the UPGP. I applied a single coat of OS to my girls car back in either January and the tops(hood, roof, trunk) still bead water when it rains, the sides don`t but thats 9 months with one coat. I washed it two days ago and applied two coats to see what it will do.

Either one you go with you will NOT be dissapointed, they are phenomenal products.

DM101
09-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Thanks MobileJay.... I use Vintage on my car but as soon as I get the boat from the Factory UPGP or OS goes on. It`s going to be a mean looking boat!!!

Woob
09-18-2008, 12:55 PM
UPGP for discerning customers, OS for bulk work.

Scottwax
09-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I`ve used both but usually reach for OS since it sets cures more quickly. UPGP looks better upon initial application but after an hour or so they look nearly identical (based on using them side by side). You can`t go wrong with either, both look great and hold up 6+ months with a single application. OS is definitely less expensive so that`s a big plus.

wannafbody
09-19-2008, 06:35 AM
6 months in mild climates. Others are reporting durability of roughly 3 months.

Eisen Hulk
09-19-2008, 07:01 AM
I love OS. I have UPGP (Sample kit from Autopia) but I haven`t used it yet. I may give it a go on the red 360 Modena I`m starting today. I`ll report back.

dogma
09-19-2008, 08:32 PM
6 months in mild climates. Others are reporting durability of roughly 3 months.

Good point. That`s usually left out. There is a huge difference between rain and snow,salt and ice. For me nothing lasts as long a Zaino in NE winter months. Out of everything else only DG comes close.