PDA

View Full Version : Started Detailing..here with questions

WCM3
09-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Hey guys,

So I bought a bunch of stuff last week and figure I would start detailing my cars. I bought the Ultimate Detailing Machine (as my PC) and a bunch of Poorboy World products, among other things. Well, my mom just picked up a 2001 Honda Civic as her daily (gas mileage) and it had faded/terrible paint on it. I took the time over the weekend to properly wash it (2 bucket method, with Poorboys shampoo, etc) and clay bar it (Poorboys clay bar). After I did all of this I taped up the trim and went to work with the UDM. Now this is the first time I`ve ever used one, and it was on a civic so don`t scold me if this was totally wrong. I started with a White Lake Country pad and some SSR1 to see if it would shine it up/remove some swirls. That really didn`t do anything, so I just kept going to all different pads/ssr combinations until something looked like it did something. I ended up using a Yellow Lake Country pad and some SSR2.5, followed by a White Lake Country pad and some SSR2 on the whole car. It made the car shine, but under my garage lights there were still a ton of scratches in the paint. I ended up sealing it with Poorboys EX after all this. It looks 10 times better than how it did, the oxidized paint is now very shiny. I`m excited about how it turned out but I have my 95 M3 turbo, and 07 335i that I want to do next. They each have some swirling going on but I`m not sure if I can remove them since the routine I used before didn`t remove swirls on the civic. What do you guys think I did wrong? The 335i is practically new paint, with swirls from the previous owner, so I don`t want to mess anything up. I did have a couple questions through the whole civic process that might need to be answered:

1. I would get whatever SSR I was using, and put a skittle size amount around two opposing ends of the pad. Then start the UDM at "1" just to spread the SSRs around before I increased the speed. I worked in 2x2 sections around the whole car. When I increased the power to around 5-6 and increase the pressure I put down on the tool, it would seem like it boggs and doesn`t spin barely at all. Is it better to do this, or should I have put no pressure on the head of the UDM and let it just spin freely?

2. For a brand new car, with just swirls, how would you do about detailing it with my pads and ssr? I have CCS yellow, black, white, and blue pads and all the different number SSRs (1,2,2.5, and 3). I don`t want to do through the paint, but I also don`t want to induce more machine scratching.

3. My other option with these cars is to take it to a professional local detailer. He quoted me $250 to do each of them. I know that this is definitely the easy way out, but since I bought all these supplies I think it would make sense to learn to use them so it was worth it.

What do you guys think? I appreciate any comments you may have.

Thanks,

Mike

Irkie500
09-17-2008, 01:58 PM
each pad coresponds to a compound or polish. pad #1 would go with the heaviest cutting compound you bought. #2 would go with a swirl remover. #3 would go to the polish. im not sure about 2.5 perhaps someone could fill me in. It os VERY important to use the correct pad with the correct compound for the best results.