PDA

View Full Version : Waxes: What exactly are we protecting against?

MikeWinLDS
09-14-2008, 11:56 PM
I do the whole car, and just go at it afterwards. On a black vehicle, I`d go a panel at a time though...

Oh, also for the person that said, you can`t base protection on beading. I think its obvious which one is waxed...

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/3341/blackorwhite0332ao.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Was searching around looking at different Collinite threads and came across this picture. Some questions about the picture. How come the unwaxed, left side looks like there isn`t as much water on the hood than the right side? Maybe due to the angle of the hood? And come to think of it, what`s the big deal with beading water anyhow?

If the beads dry up on your hood like that, you`ll probably have water spots or dirty marks all over the car. Does it come off easier on a waxed hood than one that isn`t waxed? Is that the protection that it provides? What exactly are you protecting with the wax?

In either case, it seems to me that you`re still going to have to wash the car or hit it with some QD to get the dried water off, whether it dried up in bead or non-bead format. Am I missing something here?

imported_dazzerjp
09-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Was searching around looking at different Collinite threads and came across this picture. Some questions about the picture. How come the unwaxed, left side looks like there isn`t as much water on the hood than the right side? Maybe due to the angle of the hood? And come to think of it, what`s the big deal with beading water anyhow?

If the beads dry up on your hood like that, you`ll probably have water spots or dirty marks all over the car. Does it come off easier on a waxed hood than one that isn`t waxed? Is that the protection that it provides? What exactly are you protecting with the wax?

In either case, it seems to me that you`re still going to have to wash the car or hit it with some QD to get the dried water off, whether it dried up in bead or non-bead format. Am I missing something here?

I have often thought the same. The guy who parks next to me never waxes his car.

When rain, my cars beads, yet his seems much drier. Then later, water and fall-out spots on mine, nothing on his/

Lumadar
09-15-2008, 12:39 AM
In that picture you can see that someone wiped something across the hood, and then you can see how in the "swiped" area the water clings to the hood in a solid pattern. On the waxed side if you did that it would gather together and run off.

To further demonstrate the benefit, if two cars are parked- 1 waxed, 1 not, and both get rained on you will notice that if you drive them both the water will barely move on the un-waxed car, and it will FLY off on a well-waxed car.

Further along that point, if you are driving a well waxed vehicle through a rain storm you will notice upon arriving at your destination that there is virtually NO mud, dirt, or debris on your car. If you car is not waxed the dirt, mud, and even the water to a large extent will literally cling to the car (even on vertical surfaces).

Probably the biggest time that wax plays a beneficial role, however is when it comes time to wash your car. Anyone who details on a regular basis knows that a well waxed and maintained vehicle is several times easier (and faster) to wash than a car without protection. Why? The build-up, dirt, grime, bugs, etc all come off with ease with a layer of wax between them and the paint- eliminating the need to scrub these things into the paint (often causing marring or scratches).

Take a car with no wax on a road trip and then try and wash it- it will literally take you in the ballpark of TWICE as long to get clean as a waxed car.

Chris@Optimum
09-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Just to add to that excellent explaination above, Drying is where a lot of marring happens. With a well waxed or sealed surface 99% of the water can be blown off with a leaf blower.

imported_dazzerjp
09-15-2008, 01:16 AM
I understand the pros of wax/sealant

However, if the unprotected car is as clean and well-maintained, washing is almost as easy.

its just that beading doesn`t seem so great, especially for cars left outside in rain/warm weather.

What would be better is a wax that doesn`t bead, but maintains a consistent level of water

Lumadar
09-15-2008, 01:39 AM

However, if the unprotected car is as clean and well-maintained, washing is almost as easy.

its just that beading doesn`t seem so great, especially for cars left outside in rain/warm weather.

What would be better is a wax that doesn`t bead, but maintains a consistent level of water

I guess I just don`t agree on the first point :nervous:

I have detailed cars that were "clean" and had weekly washings, but compared to a "clean" car with wax there is no contest- wax makes it easier (and SAFER!) to remove above surface contaminants.

As for a wax that creates a "consistent level of water" as opposed to beading- that`s just NOT possible in a real world environment. It has to do with a few factors, but mostly due to the natual properties of water (it beads up naturally, on natural and man made surfaces where no wax is present) as that is a trait of water itself. Secondly, it has to do with how the water typically gets onto a vehicle- rain comes down in individual droplets...that`s how it works.

If you were to dump a steady and solid stream of water on a waxed vehicles it WOULD sheet off quickly and evenly in an even stream of water...leaving less water on the paint than if you dumped that same water on a wax-less surface :think2

imported_artikxscout
09-15-2008, 04:04 AM
I`ve noticed that about 80% of all the dirt that falls on my car when it is parked outside (Berkeley does weekly street cleanings and multiple cleanings of the sidewalk during the night) gets cleaned off with just a pressure washer. It makes cleaning the car SOOO much easier as I don`t have to be as careful not to mar the car.

Basically, if I didn`t have multiple layers or even 1 layer of wax on it then it would almost feel as if I need more pressure to clean it off. It`s like brake dust on wheels... A protected wheel can be cleaned with a pressure washer as a unprotected wheel will more likely have caked on brake dust (the new mercedes are has a very good clear coat layer).

Summary: Less effort in washing = Less marring = preventative maintenance. It also protects your car from Harmful UV rays that will eventually fade your car`s color.

JohnHenry
09-15-2008, 05:36 AM
Mike,

To answer your question regarding the protective properties of wax, I`d suggest taking a stroll through any WalMart parking lot. Observing 5 to 10 year old cars, you will immediately see the long term effects of regular maintenance, including wax, versus neglect.

Even if you can`t get into the finer points of a $1,000 carnuba, you gotta love increased resale value.

gravedigaditch
09-15-2008, 07:26 AM

I have often thought the same. The guy who parks next to me never waxes his car.

When rain, my cars beads, yet his seems much drier. Then later, water and fall-out spots on mine, nothing on his/

When a car is sitting outside and gets rained on, the water spots don`t really come purely from the rain - although it may depending on where you live. It is a combination of some particles that may be in the air (this is factor depending on where you live) and dust that is already on your car. If I have just recently washed my car and it rains - I don`t get water spots. So long as I`m not driving under trees, I really won`t get water spots either if it rains. I get water spots from dust and drops of water from trees or from highway splatter. Otherwise, when I`m driving, the water will bead and fly off my car. The fact that some dude who doesn`t apply any wax, etc doesn`t get water spots is probably more of a fluke than anything. I`ve never heard fo paint that is immune from water spots - its more likely the guy is just rinsing his car off to get rid of them. On black cars, its a lot more noticeable.

If its been a week or so since my last wash and there is a solid layer of dust/dirt buildup on my car, the water spots will definitely occur. However, EVERYTHING comes off easier on a protected hood. There are no ifs ands or buts about it.