PDA

View Full Version : Hundreds of white specks on windshield

jaguar_XJ6_1985
09-14-2008, 09:35 PM
My jag has accumulated plenty of very small white specks on the windshield over 10 years of sitting outside, and no matter how hard I scrub they do not come off! I`ve only tried windex and have washed the windshield with average grocery-store-bought car cleaner. I washed both inside and out several times with windex. Is there a product that cleans windshields really really well? This stuff seems like it is glued on! It might just be tiny white specks falling from a tree that have been sun-baked on for years and years.

Thanks for your response,

Brandon

Lumadar
09-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Are you sure they aren`t tiny missing glass crevices from stuff hitting it on the road? It`s very normal for windshields to get a speckled look to them (Usually noticed looking from the inside out, at night, under street lights) as the pebbles and such at freeway speeds leave tiny divots where they contact.

jaguar_XJ6_1985
09-14-2008, 10:21 PM
This seems like a very reasonable explanation, thank you! I guess I will just have to get a new windshield :sadpace:

I`m fairly certain this is the problem, because after feeling the windshield, it seems like it goes inwards, and they only appear at night under street lights as you stated.

BigAl3
09-14-2008, 10:37 PM
you can also try claying and see if any contamination comes off into the clay, which i`m sure there will be plenty of...

Scottwax
09-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Sounds like pitting to me. Tons of freeway miles on my old Accord and I had the same problem.

Lumadar
09-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Well, before you buy the windshield check with your insurance company as some have either free replacement, or a $50 co-pay for replacement.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but glad to help with the diagnosis!