PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Jaguar with crusty paint

jaguar_XJ6_1985
09-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I just got a 1985 Jaguar XJ6 handed to me from my dad. This car has been sitting outside, going through sun, rain, and hail for countless years. We bought it 10 years ago, and my brother was rarely using it for 3 months a couple years ago, and other than that it wasn`t used. Now, the car still looks absolutely amazing and is in wonderful condition -- except for one small spot above the rear left door. There is an oval-shaped ring of white crusty paint, and looks to be spreading slowly. The crusty part is about 1 inch wide, and there is seemingly unharmed paint in the middle. I have tried turtle wax rubbing compound at the suggestion of my dad (car mechanic) and got no results (he doesn`t know much about exterior paints etc.) I went with his idea because my other option (given to me by my step-dad who fixes up old cars) was that I needed a new paint job! I`m only 15 and I don`t have that kind of money. He explained it to me that the top coat of paint was coming off, and the red center is the base coat. The color of the car is burgundy (red). Any help is appreciated, even if it is to tell me that I do need a paint job. I read somewhere that there was paint called rust-o-leum that has popular car colors, and if anybody has knowledge of this I would appreciate it if you could give me a link to purchase or a common retail store that would sell this paint.

Thank you,

Brandon

Gopher
09-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Brandon,

It sounds like your step father may be right on the money in that the "crusty" spot sounds like clear coat failure. If so, it will probably continue to spread over time, particularly if its left to the elements.

I don`t have much experience with this, but I suspect the cost of repair may be less than you suspect. I`m sure if you wanted just that door remedied, a decent shop could match the paint for your fairly easily.

Also, if you do a little reading and prep the door yourself for a spray, you may find a shop willing to help you out for a hundred bucks or so.

Good luck, and congrats on a cool first car.