PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you wax the head/tail lights, etc?

MikeWinLDS
09-14-2008, 01:03 AM
I`ve only been waxing the paint on my car, but I was watching a video on YouTube of someone applying wax to the headlight of their car. That got me to thinking about what else you could possibly wax on your car, such as the windows, windshield, emblems, etc. Do any of you wax more than just the paint? I know people sometimes polish up their headlights and such if they have gotten old and hazy, but I don`t think I`ve ever read anything about waxing them what with them being mostly plastic parts.

NCZ13
09-14-2008, 01:10 AM
i wax my headlights.

i find it keeps them from hazing longer.

You can basically wax anything that isnt a textured plastic/rubber

MikeWinLDS
09-14-2008, 01:41 AM
By textured plastic you mean like the plastic found on the interiors of cars, right? Like the dashboard and steering wheel (the ones that are standard and aren`t leather-wrapped)?

What about the part of the car, I know a lot of cars have this strip going down the top of the roof of their car on either sides that`s usually black, compared to the rest of the paint, though I`ve seen some car have it painted the same color. I have no idea what it`s called, but here`s a picture of that part circled in red:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8669/73447541rv9.jpg

Hell, I might even experiment and rub a little wax on the windshield wiper blades (not the rubber pieces that touch the windshield, but the arms that they are attached to), if that`s the correct term for them, and see what happens, haha.

imported_themightytimmah
09-14-2008, 02:51 AM
I hit all the exterior glass and clear plastics as well as the wheels with Rejex. Stuff sure makes the water fly off.

Accumulator
09-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Depending on the LSP, I do a lot of unpainted areas (not glass though). On the Jag, I even Souveran the exterior rubber :eek:

I use Collinite and some other LSPs (e.g., UPP, KSG) on exterior plastics all the time...no staining, no problems.

And sure, I LSP my wiper arms...except for on the MPV, dunno why but it just doesn`t work out on those :nixweiss

qwertydude
09-14-2008, 08:47 AM
I don`t wax any matte paint it`s almost impossible to get the staining out.

Bigpikle
09-14-2008, 03:52 PM
always seal the glass - usually a wowa sealant - and it makes them clean up much easier, as well as morning dew or light rain completely self clears in no time. Also makes ice much easier to remove in winter :)

I do headlamps and lights with whatever wax or sealant, simply as they clean up more easily, esp headlamps as it makes bug splats easier to clean etc. Just do all rubbers with SV Seal Feed.

Bigpoppa3346
09-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Head and tail lights get the exact same process that I use on the paint, from claying, polishing, and LSPing.

Joel_MD
09-14-2008, 06:38 PM
I use Klasse AIO on nearly everything; paint, glass, trim, taillights, headlights, etc. It does not stain plastic trim.

milani
09-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I use Plexus on the headlights/taillights. They shine up nicely...:up

EDIT - Duh, I meant Plexus, not Plastx...

Patek14
09-14-2008, 07:18 PM
i often wax my headlights/tail lights. i am not sure if there is any point.

even if I use a wax that hazes, it always comes out clear after i buff which makes me wonder what would happen if I NXT`d the windshield. anybody try that?

i`ve heard good things about using DGAW on glass too...

imported_GeorgiaHybrid
09-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Another one here for Plexus. Polishes and protects headlights and tails. Wouldn`t leave home without it......

Autogeek
09-15-2008, 08:11 AM
I like using DP Plex-All on my lights....but if I`m throwing a coat of wax on the car, I will put some on those areas as well.