PDA

View Full Version : 3M Imperial Hand Glaze

Danspeed1
09-13-2008, 05:18 PM
2 years ago, prior to my induction into the autopia cult, I was tricked into buying a huge bottle of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze from a local body shop that was fixing a friends car. I have had this bottle on my shelf for quite sometime. I was never told what to use it for. After cleaning out my detail supply today I found the bottle and decided to give it a try. I have used RMG, and Megs Show Glaze, and both are easy on easy off, instant results. This is not the case with the 3M.

How do I use this stuff properly? Thus far I have applied it with an applicator in a very thin layer in a straight motion, not circles. The I attempted to use a microfiber to get it off. Its a pain to take off and it really doesn`t improve anything about the paint.

I know I must have paid a good buck for this stuff a few years back so I don`t want to chuck the stuff. But with RMG and Megs in my arsenal, I really see no reason to fight with the stuff.

Any tips,.... Tricks.... Advice?????

DG

imported_Jakerooni
09-13-2008, 06:55 PM
I`m just guessing.. But it`s probably past it`s shelf life and really no good anymore. WE used to use that stuff back in the day (early 90`s) for fresh body shop work car`s that couldn`t have wax used on the fresh paint. It was a pain in the arse when it was a fresh bottle. Hate to think what it broke down into after years on the shelf.

Accumulator
09-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Danspeed1- I`m not sure what you`re doing wrong, but I`ve used IHG that was *old* (and not just a few years either ;) ) and it still worked fine.

It shouldn`t matter about straight lines/circles as the IHG is nonabrasive.

I`m trying to think of a solution, but honestly, I`ve just never had any problems with it (though you`re not the only person who has).

If nothing else, it`s an OK product to use on fresh repaints.

wfedwar
09-14-2008, 09:33 AM
From my experience, it`s almost the same as Meg`s #7. Maybe it`s degraded or settled.