PDA

View Full Version : tiny rust like specs on paint and crome - help

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

felixunger3000
09-11-2008, 06:07 PM
i have a brand new car, only 4k miles. i must have drove through a construction site or something on the highway.

there are tiny flecks of what looks like rust/metal filings on my hood, roof, front bumpers, and even chrome grill. you can feel them if you rub your hand over it, but can`t pick them off with your fingernail.

i scrubbed it, even tried bug and tar removal...didn`t help. i took it to the dealer and had them do a professional detail targeting the weird rust like specs. it`s improved, but there is still a good amount of specs on the paint and chrome.

i`m a newbie to car detailing. do you experts have any advice on things i can try to get this stuff off? thanks in advance!

2k1s2k
09-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Others may join in but I believe those specks that you`re seeing are from common everyday chemicals. I experienced those on my white car as well, thinking that they were rust spots. I determined that mine came from the road salt used here in MN. Over a period of time, these chemicals turn brown and look like rust spots. The only way I could remove them from my car was with detailing clay. I hope that helps.

Xtreme-Klean
09-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Do a search on detailing clay. This will give you tons of info related to your problem. Common issue on paint.

Here is a helpful link:

Using Detail Clay To Clean Your Car`s Paint (http://articles.autopia.org/articles/14-using-detail-clay-clean-your-cars-paint-1.html)

ianitrix
09-11-2008, 07:07 PM
I do believe what you are talking about is called fallout. Its like acid rain and shows nicely on white cars. I just use a clay bar and it comes out with some rubbing. It gets worse in the winter from all the snow .

Hope this helps

imported_Bence
09-11-2008, 07:07 PM
They look like rust because they ARE rust spots.

Ferrous contamination (aka rail dust, industrial fallout; caused by trains, planes, factories, etc.) looks like this. Tiny little particles embed themselves into the paint and basically everywhere, and start to corrode. That`s called blooming. Clay is just a temporary fix if the particles are embedded deeply, as it just abrades the top of the particles off. The remaining parts will stay put in the paint, and bloom again.

Light ferrous contamination can be removed with clay, but be aware, that the particles are a lot tugher than seems. There is an answer though: paint decontamination. Decon kits are available from Finish Kare or Autoint. Newbs and novices, don`t try this at home!

felixunger3000
09-11-2008, 07:13 PM
thanks everyone. the car is a champagne color. i`ll try the clay detailing.

imported_Bence
09-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Sometimes plastic bumpers "rust" too:

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq215/BennyLouPlummer/P1050725.jpg?t=1221183176

budman3
09-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Clay and then use some type of paint cleaner / cleanser and then wax.

David Fermani
09-11-2008, 07:51 PM
They look like rust because they ARE rust spots.

Ferrous contamination (aka rail dust, industrial fallout; caused by trains, planes, factories, etc.) looks like this. Tiny little particles embed themselves into the paint and basically everywhere, and start to corrode. That`s called blooming. Cay is just a temporary fix if the particles are embedded deeply, as it just abrades the top of the particles off. The remaining parts will stay put in the paint, and bloom again.

Light ferrous contamination can be removed with clay, but be aware, that the particles are a lot tugher than seems. There is an answer though: paint decontamination. Decon kits are available from Finish Kare or Autoint. Newbs and novices, don`t try this at home!

Great advice Bence. :2thumbs:

Claying can do the job, but is very time consuming. A decon wash will melt the contamination off the paint easily where clay barring takes multiple passess to cut down the spots. It takes extra effort to insure all the remenants are removed.

imported_Bence
09-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks David!

Smithule
09-17-2008, 09:43 PM
I have a similar problem on a brand new car. Should I take it to the dealer and let them try to fix it?

It just makes me mad that a brand new vehicle would have contaminated paint.

superduty
09-17-2008, 11:37 PM
It is all over my wife`s brand new white prius. I agree it is silly to have a brand new car. I have the same problem with my white truck.

I clayed my wifes car, but within a week the spots had reappeared (not everywhere, but in some spots.

Will KAIO or some other product help to prevent a recurrence of the spots?

Jack

Renesis
09-18-2008, 12:23 AM
I have similar issue with my white car, except I tried ClayMagic blue clay bought in Autozone, the clay works, but not as much on the rust spots, I wonder if they have embedded into the clear coat?

superduty
09-18-2008, 09:22 AM
I too used the clay magic on the brand new white prius. it cleaned it up well, but within the week it started reappearing.

Is the clay simply masking it for a short duration? Is there a way to get rid of the fallout?

Eliot Ness
09-18-2008, 10:20 AM
I have a similar problem on a brand new car. Should I take it to the dealer and let them try to fix it?........
It is all over my wife`s brand new white prius. I agree it is silly to have a brand new car. I have the same problem with my white truck.

I clayed my wifes car, but within a week the spots had reappeared (not everywhere, but in some spots.

Will KAIO or some other product help to prevent a recurrence of the spots?....
I have similar issue with my white car, except I tried ClayMagic blue clay bought in Autozone, the clay works, but not as much on the rust spots, I wonder if they have embedded into the clear coat?
I too used the clay magic on the brand new white prius. it cleaned it up well, but within the week it started reappearing.

Is the clay simply masking it for a short duration? Is there a way to get rid of the fallout?Reread post #5 by Bence. Bence explains it better than I could, but the short answer is paint decontamination.