PDA

View Full Version : newbie with some questions

churd609
09-10-2008, 06:51 PM
I am looking to help my father in-law with his 65 gto. It hasn`t seen a wet wash in over 9 years. I need to strip off all the old wax and apply some new wax. Will be doing it all by hand. What process would you guys suggest as well as products that could be bought over the counter at local parts store if possible. We are trying to get it done this weekend. Thanks!

imported_evor1
09-10-2008, 09:15 PM
wash with dawn dish washing soap

Wasatch
09-11-2008, 07:31 AM
I doubt there is any wax on the vehicle after 9 years. Not sure, but, to do this pretty fast, I would go with a cleaner/wax I believe Mequire`s and/or Mother`s can be bought at the local car parts store, or Wal Mart. Just not sure if they are good products for a, most likely lacquer paint job. I would check first to see what kind of paint is on the vehicle.

churd609
09-11-2008, 06:20 PM
I doubt there is any wax on the vehicle after 9 years. Not sure, but, to do this pretty fast, I would go with a cleaner/wax I believe Mequire`s and/or Mother`s can be bought at the local car parts store, or Wal Mart. Just not sure if they are good products for a, most likely lacquer paint job. I would check first to see what kind of paint is on the vehicle.

its a show car, it has been garaged and waxed regularly for the past 9 years, just never stripped of the old wax. The paint jobs is probably only about 10 years old. It doesn`t look bad, it just looks as thought the old wax needs to be removed. It looks like we will be using some citrus car wash, then clay bar, then some old no 7 polish and then meguiars wax.

Accumulator
09-12-2008, 11:21 AM
.. It looks like we will be using some citrus car wash, then clay bar, then some old no 7 polish and then meguiars wax.

If you mean*Dupont* #7 polish, I wouldn`t use that. If you mean Meguiar`s #7 I think you`d do better to first use something like their Deep Crystal Step #1 Cleaner or Color-X (or, best choice, their #80 if you can find an autobody/paint supply place...they`ll have it on the shelf).

Use one of those and then the Meg`s #7 and *then* wax it.

I`m doing a quickie on a pal`s Jag showcar and I`m using #80, then #5, then NXT (his choice of wax, yuck IMO but hey, it`s his car..).

JollyGreenGiant
09-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I agree. I`d wash, clay, meg`s #80 or DC 1, meg`s #7, then the LSP of your choice. As long as the lsp is a good one and you`ve done a good job with the paint prep it won`t make a huge difference in the look which brand you go with. Personaly I`d use meg`s #26, meg`s #16, or poorboys world Natty`s wax. But that is purely personal preference and what I keep in my box.

That`s all assuming there isn`t any swirling or other problems with it being wiped down on a regular basis. Even then the #80 should take care of 90% of the problems as long as they`re not severe.