PDA

View Full Version : Wheel help - curb rash

HBR
09-10-2008, 12:04 PM
I searched and found a couple threads on repairs with bondo and resprays. Anyone have any ideas if I can make these right again? Think I can sand these and polish? Has anyone taken 3 piece wheels apart? Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/hbrbmxtm/5.jpg

HBR
09-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Ttt :nixweiss

CloudKicker
09-10-2008, 06:41 PM
you can order new lips from hre.

RDAutosport
09-10-2008, 09:36 PM
I searched and found a couple threads on repairs with bondo and resprays. Anyone have any ideas if I can make these right again? Think I can sand these and polish? Has anyone taken 3 piece wheels apart? Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/hbrbmxtm/5.jpg

You can sand with progressively finer grits to level the rash and blend with the edge of the wheel the best you can, it would surely look considerably better than current state. If the lip is clear coated, you would want to use a quality clear and blend the sanded areas into the unmolested areas. Limit your work to the problem areas and the lip only.

A good job can be challenging, I have had pretty good success, even some cases where I had a hard time finding where the original problem was. Other times, I have been successful in making the area look a lot better, but can still identify the correction fairly easily.

Good luck.

Regards,

Rich

PS - Don`t take apart the wheel yourself, if you have to ask, then you probably aren`t in a position to reassemble the wheel properly/safely and should contact HRE. I have disassembled and refinished a number of 3 piece wheels, and even though I could have reassembled them (I have the proper procedure and adhesive), I sent them to BBS to be assembled in order to get new authentic hardware and to make sure they were done correctly.

Saintlysins
09-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Between "CloudKicker" and "RDAutosport" - you have all the right answers. Especially taking apart 3 piece rims and putting them back together again without leaks or comprimising the integrity of the rim. Not to insult your skills, but if you`re asking about taking it apart, you should trust a pro to put it back together. HRE is a great wheel and their customer service is excellent.

Good luck with the refinishing.

Showroom Shine
09-11-2008, 05:11 AM
Wheel Professionals Google them.

HBR
09-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks all :xyxthumbs

It`s certainly sounds like I won`t be taking them apart, but I am going to try some sanding and polishing.

Wheel Professionals Google them.

I did brother, just don`t want to got through the shipping hassels.