PDA

View Full Version : SIP vs. 1Z Intensive Pasta

Pages : [1] 2

jordanrossbell
09-10-2008, 10:12 AM
hey guys, contemplating getting both of these polishes...the SIP for sure, just wanted to maybe throw in the 1z as well. To any of those that have had experience with both products, how does the cut of 1zIP compare to SIP?

Greg Nichols
09-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Fire off a message to SuperBee. He has done a fair amount with both.

Accumulator
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Fire off a message to SuperBee. He has done a fair amount with both.

Sigh...I really do miss SuperBee364... :sadpace:

Isn`t the SIP a fair bit *less* aggressive than the Pasta Intensiv :think: I`ve never used the SIP but the Pasta Intensiv is harsh enough that you gotta be a little careful using it by hand lest you get some pretty severe "tracer"-style scratches (the kind that rocks-in-a-bottle type products can leave, not that it`s nearly *that* aggressive).

jordanrossbell
09-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Thank you for your replies, so Accumulator, you dont think it would be a waste to get both of them?

stiffdogg06
09-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Sigh...I really do miss SuperBee364... :sadpace:

Isn`t the SIP a fair bit *less* aggressive than the Pasta Intensiv :think: I`ve never used the SIP but the Pasta Intensiv is harsh enough that you gotta be a little careful using it by hand lest you get some pretty severe "tracer"-style scratches (the kind that rocks-in-a-bottle type products can leave, not that it`s nearly *that* aggressive).

what happened to him? sorry to go off topic.

imported_shine
09-10-2008, 02:49 PM
what happened to him? sorry to go off topic.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/109171-why-has-superbee-been-banned.htmlhttp://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/109171-why-has-superbee-been-banned.html

:geez

Bert
09-10-2008, 02:51 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/109171-why-has-superbee-been-banned.htmlhttp://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/109171-why-has-superbee-been-banned.html

:geez

I thought he was allowed to come back after a 30 day time out. It has been 30 days to the best of my knowledge.

Eisen Hulk
09-10-2008, 03:10 PM
It was actually just a week....

I think (And I`m only speculating here) that the banning left a bad taste in his mouth.

I thought he was allowed to come back after a 30 day time out. It has been 30 days to the best of my knowledge.

Accumulator
09-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Thank you for your replies, so Accumulator, you dont think it would be a waste to get both of them?

I don`t suggest you decide based on *my* input, as I`ve never used the SIP, but my guess is that a) both have their place and b) they`re not really interchangeable. *I* would buy `em both, but then I, uhm...accumulate stuff :o

I think (And I`m only speculating here) that the banning left a bad taste in his mouth.

That`s my guess as well. Maybe I`ll see if he`ll respond to a PM...

imported_weekendwarrior
09-10-2008, 05:31 PM
I have both. Totally different animals. **My experience** has been that I can get a better finish with SIP than with Intensive Paste (with the rotary or the Flex). However, I think the Intensive Paste has more bite.

When doing something like a Vette with a hard clear, I`ll use Intensive Paste on purple wool, and will then follow with High Gloss Polish on a polishing pad, then finish with "insert finishing polish here" on a finishing pad.

The other nice thing about the IP is that the recommended speed range is 700-1000, so you can work it nice and slow with the rotary. Often, I can get more passes out of it than I can with SIP.

Now, for comparison...I recently polished a Miata, and wanted to experiment with it. I did a test spot with Intensive Paste and purple wool as my first step, and it left some horrible holigrams. I then did a test spot with SIP, and got a much nicer finish.

So, my point is that I find them both useful in my arsenal. But, everyone`s experiences and skill level is different, so take this for what it`s worth.

efnfast
09-10-2008, 10:53 PM
FWIW, on a cyclo I have no problems correcting most paint with the SIP. On the other hand, the 1z PI, I can`t get any decent correction out of it worth a darn.

Accumulator
09-11-2008, 11:44 AM
FWIW, on a cyclo I have no problems correcting most paint with the SIP. On the other hand, the 1z PI, I can`t get any decent correction out of it worth a darn.

Ah, interesting! I too find the 1Z Pasta Intensiv is kinda mild via Cyclo; more aggressive pads make it, well, more aggressive and I`m looking forward to trying it with the Cyclo/Edge wool pads I just got.

I did notice that the Pasta Intensiv finishes pretty nice via Cyclo, at least with the green pads. I`d sure do a follow up or two, but it surprised me compared to how it finishes via PC.

I have both. Totally different animals. **My experience** has been that I can get a better finish with SIP than with Intensive Paste (with the rotary or the Flex). However, I think the Intensive Paste has more bite.

Ah, good info from somebody who actually uses both :D Thanks for posting that.

Autogeek
09-11-2008, 12:11 PM
SIP is NOWHERE NEAR the abrasiveness of Intensiv Paste.

SIP can finish down to a near LSP-ready finish on harder paints....Intensiv Paste generally always leaves pretty bad compound hazing, and you can actually see and feel how gritty it is.

Personally, I`ve been using Meguiar`s #105 in place of Intensiv Paste lately, since it finishes almost the same as SIP, and has the cutting ability of Intensiv Paste...

Autogeek
09-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Oh, and Accumulator...quit saying Pasta...you`re making me hungry :lol

imported_Bence
09-11-2008, 01:54 PM
The 1ZPI has two stages. The initial aggressive cut doesn`t last long, so it`s better to utilize it. Start slowly, around 800 RPMs and spread a film over the working area. Work the polish in with some pressure. When it starts to break down, increase the speed to 1000-1200 to break the abrasive down to an even finer state. Finally dial back the RPMs and refine the finish.

If you start too aggressively with too high RPMs the abrasives break down almost immediately and the PI won`t be effective.

It is a perfect companion to high speed, short throw DAs (preferably over 11.000 OPMs). Start on speed 3, with a little pressure, and when it begins to break down, kick it to 6 and continue working. As it reaches its final state and goes translucent, lift the machine a bit to refine the finish. Usually it produces a very clear, almost LSP ready surface. If you spritz the residue with QD and continue working it, it becomes even finer.

Yes, totally different from SIP (I`m using 3.02). The Menz works better on harder paints, but it won`t cut as aggressive as the 1Z.