PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy more clay: megs mild or aggressive?

Gopher
09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
I`m out of clay and my cars paint, though it looks great, is starting to feel a little rough. I`ve only ever used mothers and meguiars mild before, and preferred working with the megs.

My question, is whether there`s a reason not to go with the aggressive? FWIW I want to clay some stubborn surface contaminants on the insides of my wheels as well.

Holden_C04
09-09-2008, 05:44 PM
I am a fan of the least aggressive method. The idea being that you use the least aggressive product or method for the job at hand. In most cases, a mild clay is all that is required. Most, and I mean in about 90-95% of cases, a mild clay will remove all contaminants. It`s a rare case when a more aggressive method is necessary, such as heavy overspray or heavy industrial fallout.

That being said, if you find that you cannot remove all contaminants with a mild clay, it may be necessary to step it up a notch and get an aggressive clay such as Sonus Gray or Meguiar`s Red. You will need to add a polishing step to remove any marring from the use of the an aggressive clay.