PDA

View Full Version : So what is Eco?

Pages : [1] 2

Bigpikle
09-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Have been doing some serious thinking on this topic recently, and will be doing what I can to move to a `green` or eco-friendly detailing approach.

One question remains though....

What is Eco friendly detailing?

How do we judge whether we are being eco friendly or not?

A few thoughts I had:

water usage

run-off/drainage/waste

chemical composition

packaging

manufacturing/sustainability

what are your thoughts?

Waterless_Touch
09-09-2008, 05:55 PM
I think it`s ultimately up to the detailer him or herself. How "green" do they want to go? For some, having less or no runoff is as green as they will go. For others, they took into consideration every aspect of their business and try to make it as eco friendly as possible.

Personally, I am trying to go completely Eco friendly however, I would supposed it would be harder for someone to convert over to an eco friendly setup, than for someone just starting out.

MCWD
09-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Have been doing some serious thinking on this topic recently, and will be doing what I can to move to a `green` or eco-friendly detailing approach.

One question remains though....

What is Eco friendly detailing?

How do we judge whether we are being eco friendly or not?

A few thoughts I had:

water usage

run-off/drainage/waste

chemical composition

packaging

manufacturing/sustainability

what are your thoughts?

I agree with you 100%. As a business, or a home user, the information is not being broadcasted enough. When I started my business I had no where near the info regarding this matter, and I feel that it is a shame. The chemicals that I find to be "green" are great for the environment and not nearly as harmful for the user. Keeping the MSDS sheets on board whether at your shop on in your mobile van must be a priority! Even on this Forum, there are very few threads posted a week regarding this matter, and this is what can provide a huge competitive edge. How many owners have kids, dogs, or other worries about the potential water waste? The benefits of using the Eco Friendly products are HUGE! We must push to educate more users and consumers, so that we can ultimately provide better and safer services to everyone!I hope that we can stir up some creative minds here for this topic...:woot:

Waterless_Touch
09-10-2008, 12:18 AM
I agree with you 100%. As a business, or a home user, the information is not being broadcasted enough. When I started my business I had no where near the info regarding this matter, and I feel that it is a shame. The chemicals that I find to be "green" are great for the environment and not nearly as harmful for the user. Keeping the MSDS sheets on board whether at your shop on in your mobile van must be a priority! Even on this Forum, there are very few threads posted a week regarding this matter, and this is what can provide a huge competitive edge. How many owners have kids, dogs, or other worries about the potential water waste? The benefits of using the Eco Friendly products are HUGE! We must push to educate more users and consumers, so that we can ultimately provide better and safer services to everyone!I hope that we can stir up some creative minds here for this topic...:woot:

Right on the money :goodjob

Funny you should bring up the MSDS thing. Before I even test a product I ask for the sheets. If there isn`t any, I don`t proceed. One point to add to that list is education. You`ve got to be educated on what you do and why you doing. So now you can educate the customer.

MCWD
09-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Right on the money :goodjob

Funny you should bring up the MSDS thing. Before I even test a product I ask for the sheets. If there isn`t any, I don`t proceed. One point to add to that list is education. You`ve got to be educated on what you do and why you doing. So now you can educate the customer.

Ditto! Now the tough part is having people see the value in spending more on the wash system.. haha. Doing things right can be costly!

Bigpikle
09-11-2008, 12:47 PM
good stuff!

the big ? for me is exactly how we determine which of the many chemicals we use is green? I can understand techniques and impact on water, waste and energy etc but there`s no easy way to decide if what comes out of the bottles is something we`d want to use...

Waterless_Touch
10-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Does anybody else have any input on this? Lets continue to share our ideas!

Bigpikle
10-02-2008, 12:34 PM
sounds good :)

so far I have done a couple of things

1. moved to using 100% recycled water - rain water - using a 3 tank system to naturally clean and filter it

2. changed to a water based HD cleaner for all de-greasing, engine bay, shuts etc work

3. started to use ONR for washing although havent quite worked my wash routine to use that all the time. Still doing lots of foaming etc but using water based stuff and recycled water from 1.

Waterless_Touch
10-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Great Bigpikle!

I`m curious to know how you went about setting up the recycled rain water. Sounds like a great idea. And how you likeing the ONR so far?

Simon

gonz0
10-17-2008, 11:03 AM
This thread seems to be going nowhere fast so I`ll add some controversy to it.

What companies offer environmentally friendly products? I`m talking biodegradable mostly but non-toxic would be beneficial as well in case somehow an animal ingests run-off water, etc. So far the only companies I`ve seen advertising their products to be biodegradable are 1Z, Optimum and Adam`s but I`m sure more are as well. Are any of these more eco-friendly products less capable of cleaning the vehicle, something I doubt but I figure should be asked.

Going the extra mile and having reusable or recycled containers is great too. Personally I plan to reuse anything I can such as using spray bottles and just getting the large refill bottles of materials. When the large containers are spent I`ll either recycle them or keep them around for my own use, such as mixing/diluting, storage, etc.

How are you minimizing water usage during washing? Rinsing the vehicles seems to be an unavoidable task in order to pre-soak and also rinse away all of the residual soap, etc. I know a few of the serious mobile guys I`ve seen around use air bladders around the vehicle and an external tank to reclaim their water after a car has been cleaned but for the home user that doesn`t require such mobility, would there be a better solution? Also, are you using a water treatment system to filter and reuse the water or is there another process to be followed for re-use or disposal?

reparebrise
10-21-2008, 03:16 PM
There are many aspects to eco friendly detailing that cxan be considered. beside the obvious water use reduction and waste elimination, one can consider all the aspects of there business when comtemplating eco friendlyness.

For example for a mobile detailer there is the aspect of being mobile that comes into play, are you hauling a large trailer around behing a full size truck, or are you carring only the supplies you need to get you through your day in a small vehicule. When going out to do an estimate do you take a small car, or do you haul your complete rig out. Scheduling is also important, do you schedule jobs in the same area on the same day, do you group together similar jobs, so that you will only need a small part of your tools and products? By reducing the quantity of products you carry you increase fuel milage, and reduce your carbon footprint.

For fixed locations, have you switched your lighting to more efficient lighting, have you installed a oil sepperator into your drain line, do you wiat to have a full ooad of towels before starting the wash, do you pre0rince outside, or do all your wet work inside so that the run-off goes through the proper channels? There are many more aspects to consider when thinking green.

Every aspect of your business, or home washing can be examined and the best available technologies used.

As an example, in many postings on this forum, and others, we see pictures of cars covered in foam, and drivways covered and even the street, that needs to change. Many postings deal with using ONR, but before using ONR the person goes on to post that they pre-rinse the car, and even some pre-wash with soap, others will use 2 buckets of water to wash with ONR. Take it from me all of that is wastefull. The product works as designed, meaning minimal water use, and no need to rinse. I run 7 shops , all use ONR all use 1 bucket, and all use the same bucket for several cars, and never have we had an issue with scratching, try it and you will see. Another very good option exists and that is watrerless washing, while it makes some cringe at just the thought(I used to be one of those) it does work, and works very well at that. Waterless thechnologioes have advanced to apoint that they not only clean, but offer outstanding protection for the paint once cleaned, before cringing try it.

So in resumé being eco is a thought process,and an awareness, the next time you do something think about your action, and how it will influence future generations . .

Bigpikle
10-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Great Bigpikle!

I`m curious to know how you went about setting up the recycled rain water. Sounds like a great idea. And how you likeing the ONR so far?

Simon

Hi Simon

ONR is pretty good and something I am trying to use more - as a 2BM wash, no pre-wash or rinse :) Still experimenting to find my preferred wash media for it though....

I `accidentally` created my water solution. I had 2 water butts connected in series for garden use and noticed that the main one that was fed by the gutters was collecting all the gunk from the roof and guttering. The 2nd one was almost clean.

I added a 3rd tank - a 1400L water tank - in series with the other 2, and they act as a gravity filter that collect all the sediment. I used very fine paper paint filters for ages on water for this tank and never once collected any visible particle matter from the tank so have stopped now.

It easily provides my water needs for all foams, rinses and buckets of water, although it is cold in winter :lol:

gonz0
12-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I`ve been doing a two bucket wash with Meguier`s Gold Class but I think I`ll pick up some ONR and try it out. I prefer to use as little water as possible, both because it IS wasteful and because the water in my area isn`t the best (high mineral content).

Yvan, can you explain more about these `waterless` wash procedures and what products would be good to start with?

Relaited
12-26-2008, 06:45 AM
Gonzo,

You can use Meguiars Final Touch. If Dilute 2 to 1 ... have seen this work really well.

Jim

Relaited
12-26-2008, 06:51 AM
I believe in 2009 & 10 that the Industry will not have a choice on going green to a certain standard. The NPDES Permit in the US is requiring change. Moving from Waste Water Containment towards Contamination Capture. Once this occurs, a base level of "green" will occur. By many definitions, the whole industry will be green.

I don`t think this is a big win for customers, honestly do not think they care all that much.

But, if you want to get into a certain commercial property, or home owners association , then I think it is go green or go home stuff.

I believe the other compelling event driving change is that being an Eco Detailer actually costs less in terms of the equipment required to support the model, and the overall time. I say overall as you need to factor in the wash mat set up, pick up, waste water discharge, etc.

IMHO,

jim