PDA

View Full Version : Wax on plastic moldings

imported_t41n7ed
09-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi everyone. Couldn`t seem to locate this on these forums but... I recently "detailed" my car to prep it for winter. Basic wash using Meguiar`s Car wash soap, clayed, used paint cleaner, then a very light polisher.

Topped it off with Mothers Carnauba wax, however, I did not tape off the car prior to the waxing due to lack of tape. Which leads me to where I am now.

What is the best solution to removing the left over residue that is now on my plastic moldings, door handles, rubber gaskets around sunroof, etc.

Btw, the car is a e36 M3...

stiffdogg06
09-08-2008, 09:09 AM
There are SOOO many threads on this issue. Search "Wax on trim" or "Wax on Plastic"

I use Top Of The Line`s GR-40. It is by far one of the best trim cleaners I have used. I suggest that. But again, I am pretty bias since I find what works and stick to it. So I do not have many options to go to.

I highly suggest you search or be perpared to get your flamesuit on. :getdown

imported_t41n7ed
09-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Oh boy, I guess I need to L2search...

imported_Jakerooni
09-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Depends on what you have available really. The simpelest solution for me is to (if it`s dried already) wet it down with some glass cleaner take my air compressor and air gun and blow it out. You can use qtips soaked in glass cleaner as well. (non-ammoinia based of course) Or if your carefull enough and paitent enough you can take some sort of flat edge (screwdrivre or butterknife) wrap up the edge in a MF towel and very cerfully edge out the excess wax. But that would be your call.

imported_t41n7ed
09-08-2008, 09:22 AM
The wax isn`t really clumped up on the plastic, its more like a thin white layer. A friend of mine told me to just use a stiff bristle brush and soapy water. Doesn`t seem to be working.

I will take a look into that GR-40 trim cleaner tho, thanks!

buzzb
09-08-2008, 09:31 AM
I`ve found the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to work very well for wax stains on plastic trim. It`s cheap, effective, and OTC. Just wet the eraser, wring it out, and lightly wipe the area. Do not rub hard or you may remove some color also. Once you remove the wax, clean the area and treat with your favorite dressing. At less than $1 for an eraser it`s one of the best finds for scuffs and old wax residue on trim in my opinion. (Do not use on paint however) Hope that helps.

stiffdogg06
09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Is it flat trim or textured trim?

Flat trim, I have good success with pretty much anything. Textured trim like on my civic under the driver/passenger side windows is a little tougher. But like I said that GR-40 works very wells on that textured trim.

imported_paradigm
09-08-2008, 12:16 PM
long term solution is to switch to an LSP that doesn`t stain trim or leave heavy residue. :) any decent sealant will do the trick (duragloss, zaino, JW, UPP)...845 is trim safe as well.

imported_t41n7ed
09-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Yeah, the moldings are very porous/textured. Ill take a look at that GR-40 stuff..

Bigpoppa3346
09-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Definitely look into the GR-40, I`ve had good results with it on BMW trim.