PDA

View Full Version : Touch up paint then LSP

Brenton
09-12-2005, 04:39 AM
I`m not a big fan of touch up paints, but there is a place for them.
Most touch up, unless you spend $20+ on the bomb with hardener or that pen I hate with "clear", is uncured paint.
If I am going to touch up AND polish or wax, I assume I do the touch up, let it dry, then do the LSP. Is that right?

Brenton
09-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Any ideas?

Beercan31
09-12-2005, 09:13 PM
The answer to your question is Yes. But be sure to give the touch up paint a real good length of time to cure, if your familiar with color sanding/ wet sanding you could do this just before your polishing step to blend in the nick. Be sure you clean the nick out real good so the touch-up don`t pop out later on down the line.

Good luck

CharlesW
09-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Just my opinion, but I treat touch up paint like any other new paint. In other words, nothing that will trap the solvents before the paint cures. No wax, no sealant, only polished for a month.
And yes, I know how bad that sounds. It tears my up when I have to leave a part of my vehicle with no wax/sealant for that month, but I do think it is the right way to do it.
Actually, it takes me about 6 weeks to do some paint touchups if it is very deep. I usually do two or three applications with 2 to 5 days between them. Then the 30 day cure time. Each application of paint will shrink a great deal in that time period.
As you can well imagine, I don`t do much paint touchup.:)

Charles

Brenton
09-13-2005, 05:19 AM
Beercan, if I wetsand, I have to buff it back with some agression afterwards. Won`t that lift the touch up?
Charles, only polish? I can see that treatment for my car, but not many customers would be that patient. The result could be worth it.

If you are using bombs, how do you apply the product? I use a sharpened match stick on stone chips and scrapes, but I have a car with a couple of areas that are a little bigger.

hellspawn2
09-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Beercan, if I wetsand, I have to buff it back with some agression afterwards. Won`t that lift the touch up?
Charles, only polish? I can see that treatment for my car, but not many customers would be that patient. The result could be worth it.

If you are using bombs, how do you apply the product? I use a sharpened match stick on stone chips and scrapes, but I have a car with a couple of areas that are a little bigger.

What are bombs? The touch up paint i bought from MOPAR has a brush on it about the size of a finger nail polish. I would guess that would work for bigger areas.

Picus
09-13-2005, 10:17 AM
I touch up using a toothpick, so similar to the matchstick - same idea. I agree with charles, but I normally don`t wait as long as he does, although I am sure it`s ideal. I normally wait 24 hours in between "coats", and let it sit for 48 when it`s done, then wetsand and polish it out. I recently did something like 100 chips on my car and two did pop out while polishing, but I figure 2/100 isn`t bad. If you let them dry for a couple days the popping shouldn`t be too bad.