PDA

View Full Version : I`m melting... melting...

Pages : [1] 2

magblackZ33
09-05-2008, 01:20 PM
About one month ago I washed, clayed, polished and waxed my black 350Z.

I used Meguiar`s gold class car wash, meguiar`s quick detailer and clay bar, meguiar`s #83 polish with a porter cable, and mother`s california carnauba paste wax. It looked fantastic and I was happy.

About a week later I looked at the hood in late afternoon sunlight and saw an ugly streaky haze. I applied quick detailer, the haze disappeared briefly but then reappeared as before.

So I washed the car, re-polished and re-waxed the hood. Days later I went out to my car where it was parked in direct sunlight on a 95 degree day. Much to my dismay, I saw that the wax was literally melting.

So, it seems that the mother`s carnauba isn`t holding up to the high temps here in SoCal. What do you guys suggest I use instead? Am I doing something wrong in the application? Any advice is appreciated (sorry for the wordy post).

Thanks

NCZ13
09-05-2008, 01:31 PM
can you take any pictures? Ive never heard of wax literally melting off.

Is it doing in only on the hood? or the entire car?

BigJimZ28
09-05-2008, 01:35 PM
problem #1

most of the time you will need to finish with something like #80 after #83

problem #2

I would love to see a pic of the : "wax melting" because it just does not happen

NCZ13
09-05-2008, 01:48 PM
its probably like holograms...

magblackZ33
09-05-2008, 01:51 PM
okay, I suppose you`re right... "melting" isn`t the right word.

I don`t have photos of it at the moment, I suppose I could try to leave it out again and replicate it, although it`s not as hot today.

It looks like moisture, similar to morning dew. When I saw my car in the parking lot it looked like dew had collected on the "power dome" on the hood (I don`t know how many of you are familiar with the 07+ 350Z`s but there`s is a large bulge in the middle of the hood) and a little bit on the roof.

I don`t know how else to explain it except to say that it looks like dew is collecting on my car in 95 degree heat... which is impossible, no? So that`s what I meant when I said that the wax is "melting"... I agree not the best word choice, I was just going for a somewhat amusing, response-inducing thread title.

NCZ13
09-05-2008, 01:57 PM
i think thats the wax sweating... where the moisture in the air brings the oils out from the wax.

you might have applied to much.

Where in socal area you?

magblackZ33
09-05-2008, 01:58 PM
I live in Monrovia, the "sweating" happened in Fullerton

NCZ13
09-05-2008, 02:03 PM
yeah im farther south than you (near sd)

was it humid outside?

magblackZ33
09-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah... not Florida humid, but a little more humid than usual.

Bert
09-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Sounds to me like the coat you applied was too thick and you are seeing the wax "sweat" or "gas" as some call it.

magblackZ33
09-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Okay, so if the coat I applied was too thick, what should I do to remove the streaky haze?

Should I re-polish with the porter cable and then hand apply a thinner layer of the Mother`s carnauba? Should I just buff it with a polishing bonnet on the porter cable? Should I switch to a different wax? Or should I take some other approach?

qwertydude
09-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Pictures would help. I posted pics of my hood done with collinite and after a day in the blazing socal sun it still looks like I just polished it. In fact I applied it to a hot hood in the sun to accelerate cure time so I could put 7 coats of wax. If any wax would melt off I`d definitely see it with that many coats. I would have to say that perhaps you didn`t buff out all the oils, I find mother`s hard wax a little oilier than the collinite. So maybe you didn`t buff out all the oils and it`s sweating and you get streaks. If you can`t buff out all the oils, after wiping and buffing, go over with some quick detailer. If you still see a haze it`s most likely hologramming that the wax and oils concealed. Again pics would help.

wannafbody
09-05-2008, 03:26 PM
And that folks is why true synthetics are replacing old tech carnauba waxes.

Bert
09-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Okay, so if the coat I applied was too thick, what should I do to remove the streaky haze?

A wipe down with a quick detailer should work, if that doesn`t work, washing the car will.

magblackZ33
09-05-2008, 05:17 PM
A wipe down with a quick detailer should work, if that doesn`t work, washing the car will.

Well, actually I tried both of those things after it happened the first time and that didn`t do the trick.