PDA

View Full Version : ONR very nice. Want to step it up.

shadow85
09-05-2008, 11:54 AM
I recently washed my wheels with ONR. I have to say, I really like its ability to keep off brake dust. After 2 weeks, the brake dust finally collected. I was able to just do a quick wipe with blue paper towels and it came off so easy.

ONR is awesome but I want to step it up a notch and can`t decide what to do/put on the wheel. I got some Opti-Seal thats taunting me.

What do you guys do to your wheels? I have Alloy.

imported_weekendwarrior
09-05-2008, 12:04 PM
I spray minbe with a couple of squirts of Aquawax every time I wash the wheels, right before drying them.

dervdave
09-05-2008, 12:04 PM
ONR is awesome but I want to step it up a notch and can`t decide what to do/put on the wheel. I got some Opti-Seal thats taunting me.

What do you guys do to your wheels? I have Alloy.

You don`t have to go any further than using OS, quick, easy long lasting finish.

Eliot Ness
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Opti-Seal works great and like the other WOWA sealants it is a breeze to use. I also like Poorboy`s Wheel Sealant or some Zaino Z5 if I am applying that to the car already.

After my wheels are sealed I use some FK425 (QD) after each wash (either conventional or ONR) to add some slickness.

Accumulator
09-05-2008, 05:19 PM
I had been layering KSG on most of mine, but that took forever (big PIA doing the backs- wheels off the vehicle for days on end, etc.).

Recently I`ve been using FK1000P, which seems to have a nice short wait time between coats. So far, so good, might be my new wheel routine for drivers. And like Eliot Ness, I spritz them with a little FK425 each time I wash `em.

shadow85- Intersting that the ONR seemed to help keep your wheels clean :think:

Whenever I ONR my wheels it seems to make the next cleanup tougher, never did figure out why :nixweiss

imported_sal329
09-05-2008, 06:56 PM
FK1 1000p Hi Temp or DG 105 on the wheels is what I mostly use. Something liek Opti Seal would be nice, realy easy to apply.

imported_shine
09-05-2008, 07:03 PM
You don`t have to go any further than using OS, quick, easy long lasting finish.

I agree, especially if you already have it.

imported_DJBAILEY
09-05-2008, 11:44 PM
OS, CS or UPGP

So easy.

qwertydude
09-06-2008, 12:06 AM
I`ve just been using the same collinite wax as on the car.

Bigpoppa3346
09-06-2008, 06:40 AM
I was able to just do a quick wipe with blue paper towels and it came off so easy.

You do know that:

-paper towels are too rough to be used on any exterior automotive surface

-when you just "wipe up" break dust, you marr the wheel finish

-you probably marred the nuts out of your wheels with the combination of those 2 things

Patek14
09-06-2008, 07:24 AM
You do know that:

-paper towels are too rough to be used on any exterior automotive surface

-when you just "wipe up" break dust, you marr the wheel finish

-you probably marred the nuts out of your wheels with the combination of those 2 things

Hey BP...I just started using the blue shop towels to wash my wheels (megs GC). I was getting tired of having filthy terry towels. You think that mars?

Bigpoppa3346
09-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Hey BP...I just started using the blue shop towels to wash my wheels (megs GC). I was getting tired of having filthy terry towels. You think that mars?

You want to talk to someone about wheel marring, talk to Accumulator. :scared:

Yes, I would bet that the shop towels marr the rims to some degree (although wheel paint is, IME, generally much harder than regular BC/CC that is used on most cars).

If the design of the rims isn`t too intricate, I would use a Swissvax wheel brush for the face, and an old sheepskin for the spokes and inner rims. Not cheap, but if you are serious about this sorta thing I wouldn`t worry about the little extra $$. You can use a cheap MF to dry (the Vroom brand from Target is of good quality and very inexpensive).

I wouldn`t *ever* just wipe down the rims without some kind of wash solution. I`ve seen what this does to rims, and yeah, do things wrong and you are talking about wheel refinishing to get things back up to par.

Gopher
09-06-2008, 08:13 AM
I spray minbe with a couple of squirts of Aquawax every time I wash the wheels, right before drying them.

I do this as well, but its really more for looks. I haven`t noticed my wheels remaining cleaner longer with the AW. Nor less surface contaminants getting in (the insides of my wheels need a claying). Didn`t notice much of a difference with colonite either for that matter....

Accumulator
09-06-2008, 11:27 AM
You want to talk to someone about wheel marring, talk to Accumulator. :scared:

Yeah, I *can* be a bit of a fanatic about this, as I am about most detailer-inflicted marring :D

Same ol` same ol`....if I wouldn`t use a product/wash medium/technique on the hood of a new black Bentley, then I wouldn`t use it on the wheels of the family minivan either.