PDA

View Full Version : Polishing with Wool? Old School? Dated?

ABQDetailer
09-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Hey what`s up with everybody using foam instead of polishing with wool? I`m thinking about buying some Presta wool pads and noticed they sell Black (heavy), Yellow (Polish/Light Cut), Green (Polishing), Blue (Finishing)...all WOOL pads! Never seen a wool finishing pad before!

So what`s the scoop? Is this old/dated technology?

Or is it due to foam being eaiser to maintain and it doesn`t shed like wool?

Does anybody have any experience with Presta wool pads? I`ve also been looking at Schlegel and Buff and Shine. I`ve already used 3M wool and wanted to find an alternative as 3M is very expensive!

holland_patrick
09-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Presta is the same as edge(I beleive same cut/color)

I love my wool pads.. and use then often but finish with foam....

Flashtime
09-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Stay away from the *SM Arnold, especially the 3.5" pads. The velcro backing

comes apart easily. It`s ok, if you don`t mind regluing them. The Presta compunds

and polishes are pretty good (residue is easy to clean). The black wool pad is nice,

and low linting. Haven`t tried the other wool pads (yet)... But i really do like the

LC 6.5 wool pad as i can tilt it 90 degrees and use the edge.

Accumulator
09-04-2008, 11:08 AM
ABQDetailer- The newer wool pads from Presta/Edge and LC (i.e., their Purple Foamed Wool) are nice and *safe* substitutes for foam when it comes to doing serious correction. But even with the softest wool finishing pads, people such as SuperBee364 have found that they get a better final result doing their finish-polishing with foam.

imported_themightytimmah
09-04-2008, 11:13 AM
I love wool and keep a wide variety of different types around. It cuts a lot cooler (temp wise) than foam, which helps down here as paint temps pre-polishing often approach 100*.

Wool is the only cutting pad that I`ll use on bumpers, as I`ve found orange foam pads pose a risk of paint burns on a bumper. Wool is also smooth - it doesn`t tend to jump and grab.

However, wool isn`t capable of finishing out like foam. It`s a good first step for a 3-step or 4-step polish (e.g. black wool + rocks in a bottle, green wool + mild compound, white foam + swirl mark remover, blue foam + final finishing polish)

wannafbody
09-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Wool is faster and safer than cutting foam.

ABQDetailer
09-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Cool so an Edge adapter will work with the Presta pads then? I was looking for an excuse to buy a Edge Industrial adapter anyways...

Way2SSlow
09-04-2008, 04:27 PM
I`ve only got a little bit of experience with the Edge wool at this point, but so far I`m loving it!

JohnKleven
09-04-2008, 10:53 PM
I use wool all the time, but anytime I start with wool it`s a 4 step process with foam.

John

RDAVEX7
09-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Cool so an Edge adapter will work with the Presta pads then? I was looking for an excuse to buy a Edge Industrial adapter anyways...

Yes because they are the same pad`s. I like the Presta/Edge black wool pad as my first step for heavy oxidation and scratches. The Presta wool, green light cut, and blue polishing pad`s are ok in my book.

Joel_MD
09-05-2008, 01:47 AM
I have noticed there seems to be something magical about using LC purple foamed wool with Meguiar`s 105 compound. I don`t use the old school wool pads myself.

Lumadar
09-05-2008, 02:32 AM
I have noticed there seems to be something magical about using LC purple foamed wool with Meguiar`s 105 compound. I don`t use the old school wool pads myself.

You are not alone :getdown :getdown

imported_Totoland Mach
09-05-2008, 05:40 AM
I use wool pads a lot! Like Tim said, they don`t produce the intense heat that a foam compound pad is capable of and they can actually finish down pretty well with the right product.

This 645 had a very soft clear that was making me crazy because nothing seemed to work without causing more scratches. I tried a number of foam/wool pads and products. Finally settled on wool with 3M SRC, then a pass with foam spritzed with quick detailer only. That seemed to be the best combo.

Started with this:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/04%20645Ci%20Black%20SRC/645CiStartingFinish2.jpg

Ended with this:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/04%20645Ci%20Black%20SRC/645CiHoodReflectionInShop.jpg

Toto

rwisejr
09-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Toto quiet is kept but I think you could get the same results using a rag attached to a defective polisher and some spit !!!!:D:D Cause your the man !!!!!!!!!!