PDA

View Full Version : Clay ?

NorCal2500HD
09-11-2005, 09:30 PM
When claying a car does it remove the wax that has been previously applied or does it just pull the impurities out?

jeff2417
09-11-2005, 09:33 PM
It will remove wax as well as impurities.

:detective

Brenton
09-12-2005, 04:11 AM
When claying a car does it remove the wax that has been previously applied or does it just pull the impurities out?

It will remove wax on or above surfaces, but not in grooves.

TrueDetailer
09-12-2005, 05:13 AM
Clay removes all of the fallout,impurities and whatever else is stuck to the paint "surface". Also Stripping any waxes and glazes Above the surface.

SVR
09-16-2005, 05:17 AM
The sonus ultra fine I cannot say for sure if it does take all sealants/waxes out but it`s my goto clay bar for removing fresh fallout etc and I doubt it would remove multiple layers of klasse or zaino

Brenton
09-16-2005, 07:06 PM

Do you want to remove wax? There are lots of products that will remove 90% of wax quicker than Claying, if that`s your goal.

Jngrbrdman
09-16-2005, 07:10 PM
It is possible to clay light overspray or other contamination off without removing the wax. I used to work near some sort of place that was always spewing out some sort of paint or something. My car got covered 2 days before a show and I didn`t have time to strip all my layers of selant and wax off to start over, so I just lightly clayed the surface and it did the trick. No loss of shine or slickness. Long term there was no noticable difference that would lead me to believe that enough product was removed to worry about. It was just light claying though. I was being careful not to do any more work than necessary to remove the overspray.

bigron62
09-17-2005, 11:39 PM
I really dont think anyone here has the real answer to that question . we think we sometimes have all the answers but we really dont . if you are unsure then clay the vehicle then polish it and wax it again just to be sure ..

Dozerboy
09-19-2005, 10:43 PM

What good does it do to clay your Dmax when your just going to get soot all over it. Soot is bad :buck: :lol:

The Fuzz
09-19-2005, 10:48 PM
I really dont think anyone here has the real answer to that question . we think we sometimes have all the answers but we really dont . if you are unsure then clay the vehicle then polish it and wax it again just to be sure ..

We must be reading different threads because I saw at least 2 or 3 answers to that question. The answer is that clay can remove wax if you want it to, but it is also possible to lightly clay without taking too much off.

bigron is right though. Clay your car and wax it again just to be on the safe side. If it needs to be clayed and it has been awhile since you polished, then you might want to do that while you are at it.