PDA

View Full Version : detailing in the winter time

imported_RZJZA80
09-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Do you guys detail any different in the winter than in the summer? If so, what do you differently? Do you use different products, maybe, depending on the weather?

Accumulator
09-03-2008, 11:48 AM
About the only difference for me is that I wash more frequently so nasty winter [stuff] doesn`t get too built up.

And I do spend a bit more time on the undercarriages, using APCs/etc. on them instead of just strong shampoo mixes, so during the winter those areas aren`t dressed/waxed/etc. the way they`d be in nicer weather (the APC takes such stuff off and I`m not gonna redo them all the time).

I used to switch my wife`s car to 476S for the winter, but she likes the #16 better so these days I just use it year-round.

So no, no real difference for me other than washing more often and being more heavy-duty about the underneath.

nrengle
09-03-2008, 12:15 PM
I use ONR a lot more, since it`s harder to wash in freezing temps with a frozen spigot.

Bert
09-03-2008, 01:39 PM
those areas aren`t dressed/waxed/etc. the way they`d be in nicer weather (the APC takes such stuff off and I`m not gonna redo them all the time.

As perfectionist as you can be, I am surprised you don`t redress those areas everytime. :)

Just kidding with you Accum.

About the only difference for me is that I wash more frequently so nasty winter [stuff] doesn`t get too built up.

And I do spend a bit more time on the undercarriages, using APCs/etc. on them instead of just strong shampoo mixes, so during the winter those areas aren`t dressed/waxed/etc. the way they`d be in nicer weather (the APC takes such stuff off and I`m not gonna redo them all the time.

I used to switch my wife`s car to 476S for the winter, but she likes the #16 better so these days I just use it year-round.

So no, no real difference for me other than washing more often and being more heavy-duty about the underneath.

You must have an incredible garage with the near fleet of cars you own and the ability to hose wash them. If you were to post a pictured, you would probably be the envy of half the posters here.

Bert
09-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Do you guys detail any different in the winter than in the summer? If so, what do you differently? Do you use different products, maybe, depending on the weather?

In the winter time I switch from hose washes to ONR washes and from wash mitts or microfiber wash media to a very soft brush such as the Meguiars Versa Angle Wide Body Brush or a boars hair brush. Once I wear out my two Meguiars Versa Angle Brushes I may have to try out the OXO Carwash Brush since good boars` hair brushes are so dang expensive and Meguiars stopped selling the Versa Angle brushes.:bawling:

During Dec, Jan and Feb I can be limited to when I can reapply a sealant since manufacters generally recommend not applying when under 40 degrees. So I generally have to wait for a short heat wave to come through during those months to reapply my sealant.

Showroom Shine
09-03-2008, 02:58 PM
ONR! This is my main product used in winter weather!

Accumulator
09-04-2008, 11:23 AM
As perfectionist as you can be, I am surprised you don`t redress those areas everytime. :)

Just kidding with you Accum...

Heh heh, nah..by the time I finish one of my washes the *last* thing I want to do is mess around with dressings :D

You must have an incredible garage...

It`s pretty nice, but there are a lot of things I`d do differently if I were building today...live and learn. Never enough space though :grinno:

I`ve had decent shops since around `88. Before that I didn`t always have a garage of any kind for this stuff, and I learned I just couldn`t do this stuff right without one.

skuz
09-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Let`s see...

I wash less frequently because the conditions are miserable

I get the truck in a heated garage for 2-3 hours so the snow & ice melts

I use ONR instead of regular car wash soap because my locks freeze.

I try to use & deplete my stock of low end tire dressings. They won`t last long anyway.

I curse, damn & shout about my plastic cladding because the road salt ate through their dressing.

Instead of cleaning the carpets I replace the newspapers which trap humidity.

I fill up again the windshield washer tank.

Accumulator
09-05-2008, 10:48 AM
..I curse, damn & shout about my plastic cladding because the road salt ate through their dressing...

I use LSPs on my plastic trim, and that`ll often last all winter. The Klasse twins seem to work the best (held up great on the WRX`s rocker trim), but Collinite 845 and UPP are OK too.

Instead of cleaning the carpets I replace the newspapers which trap humidity.

Might want to look into some of of hard plastic floor-liner style matts, or at least the rubber all-weather ones. I wouldn`t want damp newspapers in the car...sounds yucky to me :think: and I`d think the combination of moisture and newsprint would be a bit messy.

velobard
09-05-2008, 06:21 PM
The only big difference in the winter for me is, I use hot water to mix my ONR. ;)

Admittedly, when it gets well below freezing I slack way off. If it`s been well below freezing for too long and the car`s getting too nasty, I`ll swing into a coin-op and hose the car down just to spray off the worst of the build-up. No garage here, so whatever I do is right out in the elements.