PDA

View Full Version : Are the shammies seen on infomercials good for cars?

Pages : [1] 2

Booey
09-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Hey guys,

just wondering if those sinthetic shammies you see advertised on infomercials and trade shows are any good for cars. I`m talking about those ones that are often advertised as a "miracle shammy" or "Sham wow". They can often pick up multiple times their weight in liquids.

I just bought some at a trade show and I was thinking of using it to wash and dry the car. Anyone know if there`s any risks in using them?

Thanks a bunch.

BigAl3
09-01-2008, 12:44 PM
try using an x-large microfiber towel or waffle weave towel for drying instead. use those shammies for around the house, etc...

qwertydude
09-01-2008, 10:02 PM
What material are they made of? If it`s that cheap felt material keep it away from your car, it`ll introduce swirls like no tomorrow and won`t really absorb the water just push it around. If it`s an absorber-type PVA material then you can use it to dry a washed car.

critical_level2
09-01-2008, 10:38 PM
use those shammies for around the house, etc...

That is the only good use I found for them. They are great for cleaning up after the little ones. They seem a bit rough for the car surface though.

Booey
09-02-2008, 01:35 PM
ohhh, I think it`s that felt stuff. Feels like felt anyway... Well that was a waste of 20 bucks :cry:

I should have just spent the money on the proper stuff from the beginning. Oh well, live and learn.

Holden_C04
09-02-2008, 01:50 PM
eShine sells some great waffle weave towels. You can check there. If you`re close to me, I have a few extra. ;)

Booey
09-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Oh, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I`m in Vancouver. Do you know what the best kind is that I could buy at a place like Canadian Tire?

Holden_C04
09-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Oh, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I`m in Vancouver. Do you know what the best kind is that I could buy at a place like Canadian Tire?

I wouldn`t use the CT ones. They`re the same price as the waffle weave ones and no where near the same quality or water absorption. Buy a waffle weave towel, your paint will thank you. :2thumbs:

qwertydude
09-02-2008, 02:09 PM
The armor all waffle weave is pretty good, it`s large and orange and dries really well.

Booey
09-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Ok, thanks. Where do you buy the waffle weaves from? Do they sell them at big chains like Canadian Tire, Walmart, or Zellers?

BigAl3
09-02-2008, 03:10 PM
The armor all waffle weave is pretty good, it`s large and orange and dries really well.

i would have to disagree. it is too course/rough for my liking, and i would not use that on a car...

BigAl3
09-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Ok, thanks. Where do you buy the waffle weaves from? Do they sell them at big chains like Canadian Tire, Walmart, or Zellers?

i only like to use the ultra-soft waffle weaves (the reagular ones are too hard for my liking) and you can get them at exceldetail, and patrick easily has the best price around (not to mention he is awesome to do business with!). i would pick up a few... Excel Monterey Waffle Weave Drying Towel (http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=29280&pd=133820)

http://www.prestoimages.net/prestostore_graphics/7518_pd133820full.jpg

Eliot Ness
09-02-2008, 03:22 PM
i only like to use the ultra-soft waffle weaves (the reagular ones are too hard for my liking) and you can get them at exceldetail, and patrick easily has the best price around (not to mention he is awesome to do business with!). i would pick up a few........Listen to BigAl, the Montery he mentioned is my favorite WW drying towel. Once you try one of these you`ll never want to dry with anything else.

rockingthe2
09-02-2008, 06:13 PM
i HATE those armorall towels... it ripped after only ONE use, and it diddnt work very well at all, its too big to wring out easily and it catches on ANYTHING dont waste your money on those...

Booey
09-02-2008, 07:18 PM
thanks for the info everyone. I`ll look into getting those waffle weave ones.