PDA

View Full Version : Haze/cloudy appearence.

lexusgs
09-01-2008, 01:37 AM
I am polishing my dads new black Acura TL he recently got that unfortunately has a bunch of swirls, light scratches, and buffer trails from the dealer. I washed it with dawn or some kind of tough on grease soap to get any wax or excess polish off and then clayed it. As I polish it with my PC and I am using Menzerna IP with either a white wool or orange foamCCS pad I am noticing a whitish cloud like haze where it is polished that remains on the finish and lightens the appearence of the black paint to a dark grayish at certain angles with some areas more noticeable then others. I have seen this in other black cars I polished but it really stands out on this new TL and is not going away and is irritating me. I try to wipe it off pretty hard with water and a microfiber rag but it makes no difference. You notice a clear difference between the unpolished deep black and the polished cloudy haze appearance. What do I have to do to get rid of this cloudy whitish haze? Will washing with dawn or a tough soap get it off after I am done polishing, I kind of doubt it? Maybe I should try rubbing alcohol, is that safe to use on cars and will it work? Even when I finish down more and hit it when it is dry it still remains. I will be adding the 2 step Zaino process after the car is polished and after I have got most of the swirls and scratches out and I am concerned this haze will affect the Zaino or the Zaino will lock the cloudy lighter haze in which I don`t want. Maybe using the PC to apply the Zaino AIO will get rid of the haze but I am not sure of that either and don`t know what will happen if the polish haze mixes with the Zaino AIO. It almost seems like the Menzerna IP is staining the finish to this somewhat cloudy hazy whitish appearence. Most other black cars I polished the much lighter haze appearance pretty much goes away after wiping it down with a rag and water where this one is staying.

BigAl3
09-01-2008, 01:45 AM
As I polish it with my PC and I am using Menzerna IP with either a white wool or orange foamCCS pad I am noticing a whitish cloud like haze where it is polished that remains on the finish and lightens the appearence of the black paint to a dark grayish at certain angles with some areas more noticeable then others. What do I have to do to get rid of this cloudy whitish haze? .

try using a white pad... Car Detailing videos - How to detail, polish and wax your Car (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video.html)

rjom
09-01-2008, 06:50 AM
I believe you are supposed to use a Finishing Polish with a white pad to get rid of the haze after using IP. Here is an excerpt:

Menzerna Final Polish II The Final Polish II also specializes in removing hazing, oxidation, marring and other blemishes that can be left behind by more aggressive polishes. This extraordinary polish will really make your paint “pop†and is the perfect step before applying your favorite glaze, sealant or wax. Let Menzerna Final Polish II show you what shine your paint is capable of

lexusgs
09-01-2008, 11:43 AM
I believe you are supposed to use a Finishing Polish with a white pad to get rid of the haze after using IP. Here is an excerpt:

Menzerna Final Polish II The Final Polish II also specializes in removing hazing, oxidation, marring and other blemishes that can be left behind by more aggressive polishes. This extraordinary polish will really make your paint “pop†and is the perfect step before applying your favorite glaze, sealant or wax. Let Menzerna Final Polish II show you what shine your paint is capable of

I have polished black cars before with a PC and Menz IP and a LC orange/white wool pad and never had this cloudy haze like this before and what little I had went away with buffing or using a AIO. Many detailers I talk to and people who use a PC and IP often say they don`t finish down with anything because IP is not a very aggressive polish or compound and already finishes down well enough and they don`t really get a serious haze. I am just confused why it is so much more evident on the new Acura TL and not really evident on the other black Lexus and Acuras I have done in the past. Unfortunately I don`t have Menz FPII or a good milder polish and don`t have time to order FPII. I was hoping an alcohol wipedown could get this haze off or a grease fighting dawn like soap. I am sure Zaino AIO will get a good deal off but I am concerned about it mixing with this apparent cloudy Menz IP residue and either not bonding right or the Zaino may lock in this cloudy appearence to the finish and it will be even more difficult to remove. The car still looks black and you don`t see the cloudy appearance until looking at it from certain angles but there is a pretty big difference between polished/unpolished. I may try diluting Menz IP in water and then using a white foam pad if it is still there after washing it or wiping down with alcohol. A couple people recommended wiping the finish down with alcohol before applying Zaino AIO and Zaino Z5 finish, I am just not sure if that is safe.

EricDawg
09-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Both black cars I have, produced haze using IP. Which I remove with Final Polish. It`s worse if you don`t work the IP for 4-5 minutes and really break it down.

PO 91E, Menzerna Intensive Polish (http://www.properautocare.com/meninpol.html)

"On most light colors you can go from Intensive Polish directly to finishing with your favorite wax or sealant. On dark color paints, a subsequent once over with Menzerna Final Polish will produce a completely swirl-free, high gloss surface.

Compounding, however, requires a little skill with a polisher and leaves the surface dull. This dullness, or haze, is normal and part of the compounding process. To remove this haze, you polish with increasing less abrasive polishes until the paint`s gloss is restored."

I think you definately want to remove the haze. If you have a white pad, I would guess any polish (not compound) with a white pad would do wonders. Try the AIO, or even the Z-2 with a white pad?

I love the Final Polish. Not only does it remove Haze, but it also removes light scratches and gives me a good base to stat the Zaino on.

Good luck. Black cars are fun aren`t they?

lexusgs
09-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Both black cars I have, produced haze using IP. Which I remove with Final Polish. It`s worse if you don`t work the IP for 4-5 minutes and really break it down.

PO 91E, Menzerna Intensive Polish (http://www.properautocare.com/meninpol.html)

"On most light colors you can go from Intensive Polish directly to finishing with your favorite wax or sealant. On dark color paints, a subsequent once over with Menzerna Final Polish will produce a completely swirl-free, high gloss surface.

Compounding, however, requires a little skill with a polisher and leaves the surface dull. This dullness, or haze, is normal and part of the compounding process. To remove this haze, you polish with increasing less abrasive polishes until the paint`s gloss is restored."

I think you definately want to remove the haze. If you have a white pad, I would guess any polish (not compound) with a white pad would do wonders. Try the AIO, or even the Z-2 with a white pad?

I love the Final Polish. Not only does it remove Haze, but it also removes light scratches and gives me a good base to stat the Zaino on.

Good luck. Black cars are fun aren`t they?

Black cars are a ball, I especially love all the swirl marks/light scratches you see in the bright sunlight after you thought you got them all from hours of polishing and all the new swirl marks/light scratches that appear after you are very careful with washing and use the two bucket method and microfibers:mad:. Gotta love black cars with really soft clearcoats:wall:wall

I tried using a white pad and diluted IP and it got a good deal of that haze off. I also have Klass AIO and Jeff Werkstatt AIO but I am not sure if they are a good idea to use before applying Zaino AIO and then Z5 for the finish as they provide their own base which is supposed to bond to the car. Is this haze Menz IP residue or just a fogging result on the clear from the IP and orange pad? If it is not Menz IP residue that I guess it is safe to use the Zaino AIO with the PC and a white pad but I will still thoroughly wash the car with some anti grease soap when I am done polishing and then finishing with either diluted IP or Klass AIO. If the haze effect is Menz IP residue on the finish than I think I need to get rid of all the residue before applying the Zaino AIO and later Z5. Gotta love all the new issues you run into with detailing.

mixxer
09-01-2008, 06:03 PM
soft paint ,use a finishing pad[even softer than white] with finishing polish.

EricDawg
09-03-2008, 12:11 AM
The haze is the IP residue. IP could also leave the surface a little dull, but I think you`re seeing mostly IP residue.

Haze needs to be removed with a white pad and a polish. I`ve only used Final Polish but I`m sure others in that realm would work great. I`d even give the Z5 a try on a white pad to remove the haze. But I would defintately follow any IP (cough..diluted?..cough) application with a white pad and a polish on black paint. Just my experience.

LOL.. yeah I just did my entire Dakota the last 2 weekends and all the swirls are gone... but there`s still scratches here and there under the work lights. Time to get a flex I guess.

I used mostly 3m rubbing compound, but some IP. I found the IP was super dusty, and didn`t remove the scratches as well as the 3m, although the 3m rubbing compound is more aggressive. It didn`t haze much though. It`s my new favorite.

Cheers!

lexusgs
09-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I tried a white pad with IP diluted in water and I added a little Klass AIO and mixed them. This method removed most of the haze and their was a huge difference between where I repolished and where I just did just the IP and orange. There was a little bit of haze/buffer marks on a few areas on the hood but they were coming off pretty well with hand buffing. I thought it was strange why I was getting the haze on this 08 TL when I never really got it bad on other black cars I have done like my black GS430 or parents Acura older Acura TL and CL as I could get away with just using IP and an orange pad with barely noticeable haze and then some AIO and sealant for protection. I put a layer of Ziano AIO on and now I am going to put some Z2 on.

bookeem
09-03-2008, 01:19 PM
instead of mixing/making your own weaker formula, why not just purchase a finishing polish " for best results" and u will have it to use next time u find yourself in that situation...

lexusgs
09-03-2008, 10:45 PM
instead of mixing/making your own weaker formula, why not just purchase a finishing polish " for best results" and u will have it to use next time u find yourself in that situation...

I did not have time to put an order in and wait a couple days for it to arrive as the car needs to be given back to my parents tomorrow and I need to get it done right away with polishing and the Zaino process. I will probably end up getting a finishing polish later but I am fine with what I have done for now.

TSC17
09-04-2008, 05:11 AM
I have a 2007 black TL-S, and I can tell you that it is extremely soft, and shows everything. Even with a white pad and a light polish like OP, you will leave marring that needs to be removed with a finer polish and pad. The best I have used on this paint for getting that last 5% is 3M Ultrafina SE/blue 3M pad/rotary.

nrengle
09-04-2008, 06:04 AM
The thing I`ve found with Honda and Acura paint is that since it`s so soft that you need to rethink your pad/product selection. With my NHBP Civic I can take most swirls out with 106FF or the Wolfgang Mirror Glaze and and black pad. It kinda sucks to have the paint so soft cause even a MF towel can mar the paint easily.

lexusgs
09-04-2008, 01:22 PM
I have a 2007 black TL-S, and I can tell you that it is extremely soft, and shows everything. Even with a white pad and a light polish like OP, you will leave marring that needs to be removed with a finer polish and pad. The best I have used on this paint for getting that last 5% is 3M Ultrafina SE/blue 3M pad/rotary.

That is interesting about the TL, I have not tried the 3M line yet but probably will in the future as I hear good things about it. That is unfortunate that Acuras have such soft clears but I guess it makes correction a little easier if you know to use less aggressive methods, I would still prefer a harder clearcoat that is more swirl/scratch resistant that is a little tougher to correct.

lexusgs
09-04-2008, 01:31 PM
The thing I`ve found with Honda and Acura paint is that since it`s so soft that you need to rethink your pad/product selection. With my NHBP Civic I can take most swirls out with 106FF or the Wolfgang Mirror Glaze and and black pad. It kinda sucks to have the paint so soft cause even a MF towel can mar the paint easily.

Yes, I get very irritated how a microfiber rag/towel even when used lightly when washing with the 2 bucket method can still cause swirls and scratches on these soft Acura and Lexus clearcoats and the hazing really suprised me on the 08 black TL after polishing. My Lexus GS has pretty soft clear too and it scratches/swirls very easily not to mention the front end is extremely prone to rock chips but the hazing was not nearly as bad as the 08 Acura. When I first polished my Lexus which was never polished in years I needed a fairly aggressive polish like IP and yellow or orange pads and still did not get alot of the scratches out but now since it is better maintained and the Acuras are very well maintained and will only have minor swirls and scratches from gentle washing I will need to look into a milder polish then IP and something that does not haze or that can eliminate the haze. I will read up on 3M line and a milder Menzerna polish good for Acura/Lexus soft clearcoats.