PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs help!

JohnGriffith
08-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Hello all,

After studying this site for a while, I decided to dive in and purchased a PC starter kit from Pinnacle. Great service and my kit arrived promptly.

My first victim is my 87 Buick GN with original paint in very good condition. I probably should have chosen something easier for my first attempt but as I said the paint is in very good condition, just light swirls from washing and cleaning.

The products I have on hand to try are Zaino Z-PC and 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover for Dark cars. I tried both products with similar dissapointing results. Both seemed to leave behind smudging or marring marks. You could see were the buffer had travelled across the paint. This was using the white pad that came with the kit. Of course I did use a different pad for each product. I decided maybe I didn`t buff long enough. Both products seemed to dry up real fast. I buffed a little longer, until the product was pretty much gone and that seemed to help. I ended up switching to the grey pad and the 3M at higher speeds. After fooling around for 3 hours I seemed to have one 2 x 5 section of the hood looking pretty good under the flourescents in the garage. I pulled outside in the sun to find the polished area didn`t look that much better than the rest.

Needles to say, I`m off to a dissapointing start and wondering if I made the right choice in buying this kit. I know it takes time to learn anything new, I just thought it might go a little easier.

I`m open to any and all suggestions and help I can get. I`m determined to figure this out and do it right. Let me know what you think, and if anyone in the Kennett Square, PA area want`s to show a newbie how to do it in person, the pizza and beer is on me!

Thanks,

John