PDA

View Full Version : Behr Premium 2-Part Epoxy Garage Floor Coating

SCutchins
08-31-2008, 12:03 PM
I just bought a house with a 3-car garage (yeah!!!)

I have about two and a half days to paint it and epoxy the floor before the movers come. I am considering "Behr Premium 2-Part Epoxy Garage Floor Coating." Home Depot sells a kit that comes with everything you need, even roller covers, and the box itself is used as the roller tray, which helps me because all of my tools are packed away in storage. It dries quickly so the movers can walk on the floor 24 hours after I lay it down.

Behr.com: Products - Premium 2-Part Epoxy Garage Floor Coating (http://www.behr.com/behrx/act/view/products_detail?prodGroupId=125&catName=Concrete+Floor+Coatings&catId=16)

Does anyone have any experience with this product? Rustoleum seems to be most popular, but I am worried that it is fairly glossy and my kid will be out in the garage playing a lot so I don`t want him falling.

E300Diesel
09-03-2008, 07:54 AM
subscribed.... interested in other opinions on this product also

Jokeman
09-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Junk....check the garagejournal forums. They have a whole section regarding floor coating.

SCutchins
09-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Junk....check the garagejournal forums. They have a whole section regarding floor coating.

Are you sure you aren`t referring to the Behr 1-part epoxy? Big difference, the 1-part stuff is basically paint but the 2-part is supposedly better.

Note that this is for my house, not for a shop, so spending $1000 on industrial coating isn`t value received.

gmblack3
09-03-2008, 09:00 AM
I bought my house 1 yr old and they already had some crap paint on the floor. Of course it looks horrible at 16 yrs now. Thing is to redo mine right I would have to strip off all the old paint. That is why I have never done it, maybe one day.

So my point is do it right the first time with quality materials.

JohnHenry
09-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Don`t do it! I`ve ruined three garage floors with this and similar crap. "Hot tire pickup."

Get the thick epoxy stuff with the chips (many brands available.)

SCutchins
09-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Don`t do it! I`ve ruined three garage floors with this and similar crap. "Hot tire pickup."

Get the thick epoxy stuff with the chips (many brands available.)

This Behr premium is the 2-part epoxy kind with the chips. Its similar to the Rustoleum 2-part water based stuff that also sells for around $70.

My big concern is that its water-based, but stepping up to "high solid solvent based epoxies" will double the price. Since this is just my home garage I am not willing to spend the money unless it will genuinely be worth it (say last longer, not chip if I drop a wrench, etc.)

jimmie jam
09-04-2008, 05:41 AM
This Behr premium is the 2-part epoxy kind with the chips. Its similar to the Rustoleum 2-part water based stuff that also sells for around $70.

My big concern is that its water-based, but stepping up to "high solid solvent based epoxies" will double the price. Since this is just my home garage I am not willing to spend the money unless it will genuinely be worth it (say last longer, not chip if I drop a wrench, etc.)

quality does not cost more, it lasts longer. spend the money to get the "real" stuff. you will be really pissed off when you have to look at the lifting/scratched/etc. coating and will then spend twice as much to correct the problem that could have been avoided to begin with. it`s you money and it`s your call. be very carefull:bat. :2thumbs: